In case I miss, or lose you in the shuffle.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Re: In case I miss, or lose you in the shuffle.
« Reply #40 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:59 pm »
What type of Rosewood?

It doesn't look like East Indian or South American (Santos) Rosewood. Bolivian maybe?

Mike

Hey Mike,

It's South American Rosewood. Color might be off due to camera and or monitor settings?

Ruben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 16 Aug 2014, 12:08 am »
Hey Ruben,

Talk about differences in wood. South American Rosewood is what I used on the N3's that are in my avatar and my N3 build thread. Your veneer and mine look like two entirely different species.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get your veneer from? Mine came from Oakwood Veneer Company.

Mike

brj

« Reply #42 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:33 am »
Quote from: jtwrace
The work looks very very nice.  If that Abbey is planning on staying on top of the sub...tell the owner to not show Dr. Geddes.  Since that totally defeats the purpose of what he aims for he will not like his answer as an excited customer.   ;)

The owner was out backpacking part of the Colorado Trail when you posted and missed it until now, but the owner is well aware... and so is Earl.  :)

At the risk of distracting from the purpose of the thread...

First, note that the subwoofer in the picture of the Abbey is not associated with the Abbey in any way.  The separate picture of the 6 black subwoofers includes the 2 subwoofers intended to act as "stands" for the Abbeys.  They (should) match the footprint of the Abbey exactly, including the radiused front vertical edges, and each has two 8" Rythmik drivers mounted opposite of each other so that mechanical driver forces cancel.  Side-firing is not my usual first choice, but that configuration fell out of the footprint, volume and force cancelling requirements.

I discussed this concept with Earl from the beginning and specifically ordered the Abbey kit without the bottom edge of the baffle radiused so-as to better physically (and to a lesser extent, acoustically) integrate with the subs.  I discussed it again when working out the subwoofer cabinet volumes and their impact on the height of the Abbeys relative to my ear. The 8" subs are a little short relative to the height needed to ideally align the Abbeys with the listener's ear, but this will be addressed by using adjustable spikes to tilt the stack slightly.  To quote Earl: "[That] may actually be the better way to do it."

The 12" Rythmik single driver subs will be distributed as needed to address room modes.  (With 4 of these in addition to the 8" subs, I'm hoping that I can comfortably steal as least one from the main system to use in the office system.)

And any excitement that I may once have had has long since worn off.  That happens when you've been waiting for well over 3 years for your product to be delivered.  Anyone that has touched any part of this speaker system has suffered an absolutely mind-boggling array of delays.  I'm sure the product will be impressive in the end, but I can't imagine I'll be impressed enough to easily forget the endless frustrations.

Speaking of which... Ruben, I have yet to receive any responses to my emails dating back as far as July 25th.  An update would be appreciated.

brj

« Reply #43 on: 11 Sep 2014, 05:51 pm »
I'm about to try smoke signals and carrier pigeons...

rms8

« Reply #44 on: 11 Sep 2014, 08:47 pm »
Looks like Ruben hasn't been on in a week.

He PM'ed me that my speakers should be completed in a few more weeks which would mean they should be ready in another week....hopefully.  He was hoping to post up some pics by Sept 8th or 9th, but haven't seen them yet.  Fingers crossed!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #45 on: 11 Sep 2014, 10:30 pm »
Very nice!  Great to see such fine speaker cabinets for DIY applications. 

Looks like the Abbey stands will be put to good use after all.  Very good!  It might have taken me a year to finish assembling six identical speaker crossovers, each one only first order electrical HP/LP + a 3-piece Zobel network.  One delay was to check audible polarity of every capacitor, even tiny trim caps...plus trimming cap values to the 2nd decimal was exasperating.  We feel your DIY pain.   

PMAT

« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2014, 12:37 am »
Good things come to those that wait.  :D

brj

« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2014, 05:12 am »
Good things come to those that wait.  :D

One's view changes a bit when the wait has to be measured in years...

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2014, 02:21 pm »
Very good!  It might have taken me a year to finish assembling six identical speaker crossovers, each one only first order electrical HP/LP + a 3-piece Zobel network.  One delay was to check audible polarity of every capacitor, even tiny trim caps...plus trimming cap values to the 2nd decimal was exasperating.  We feel your DIY pain.

Even tiny trim caps? You guys aren't trying to match cap values by adding by-pass caps are you? 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2014, 02:31 pm »
The owner was out backpacking part of the Colorado Trail when you posted and missed it until now, but the owner is well aware... and so is Earl.  :)

At the risk of distracting from the purpose of the thread...

First, note that the subwoofer in the picture of the Abbey is not associated with the Abbey in any way.  The separate picture of the 6 black subwoofers includes the 2 subwoofers intended to act as "stands" for the Abbeys.  They (should) match the footprint of the Abbey exactly, including the radiused front vertical edges, and each has two 8" Rythmik drivers mounted opposite of each other so that mechanical driver forces cancel.  Side-firing is not my usual first choice, but that configuration fell out of the footprint, volume and force cancelling requirements.

I discussed this concept with Earl from the beginning and specifically ordered the Abbey kit without the bottom edge of the baffle radiused so-as to better physically (and to a lesser extent, acoustically) integrate with the subs.  I discussed it again when working out the subwoofer cabinet volumes and their impact on the height of the Abbeys relative to my ear. The 8" subs are a little short relative to the height needed to ideally align the Abbeys with the listener's ear, but this will be addressed by using adjustable spikes to tilt the stack slightly.  To quote Earl: "[That] may actually be the better way to do it."

The 12" Rythmik single driver subs will be distributed as needed to address room modes.  (With 4 of these in addition to the 8" subs, I'm hoping that I can comfortably steal as least one from the main system to use in the office system.)

And any excitement that I may once have had has long since worn off.  That happens when you've been waiting for well over 3 years for your product to be delivered.  Anyone that has touched any part of this speaker system has suffered an absolutely mind-boggling array of delays.  I'm sure the product will be impressive in the end, but I can't imagine I'll be impressed enough to easily forget the endless frustrations.

Speaking of which... Ruben, I have yet to receive any responses to my emails dating back as far as July 25th.  An update would be appreciated.
OK.  Well, when you get them, you're then in for the next treat...setting them all up.  It's hours and hours worth of work (measuring).  The good news is that you put the effort into it the result is truly amazing. 

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:24 pm »
Looks like Ruben hasn't been on in a week.

He PM'ed me that my speakers should be completed in a few more weeks which would mean they should be ready in another week....hopefully.  He was hoping to post up some pics by Sept 8th or 9th, but haven't seen them yet.  Fingers crossed!

Hi Rob,

Thanks for hangin' in there. Pics will be up tomorrow. :thumb:

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 14 Sep 2014, 03:33 am »
Not the best pic, but gives an idea of how they'll look when done. Stand still needs some finish work. The base plate and outer column faces will be piano black to match the speakers. (they're primed now) The outer columns will also get piano black caps to finish them off.

The stand as pictured is set at 34" to the bottom of the center. There is approx. 7" up/down adjustment from there.

Ruben

Guy 13

« Reply #52 on: 14 Sep 2014, 03:54 am »
Hi Ruben.
You are an artist.
Really nice work.
Every picture that you post always amaze me.

Guy 13
aka: An admirer of your work.

rms8

« Reply #53 on: 14 Sep 2014, 02:50 pm »
 :o

STUNNING !

rms8

« Reply #54 on: 20 Sep 2014, 11:44 am »
Hi Ruben!

What's the word?

Could they be ready to ship this week?  :D

Rob

rms8

« Reply #55 on: 28 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm »
Ruben,

How about some good news?  Room has been done and lonely for a few months now.  Sure would sound better with some speakers  :wink:.  Especially those stellar examples shown above  :green:

Also,
above you said : "...The outer columns will also get piano black caps to finish them off."  Are these caps something already made which you ordered or did you make them too?  What sort of material are they?  Just curious.

brj

« Reply #56 on: 30 Sep 2014, 08:55 pm »
Ruben, I've sent you a PM, an email and tried multiple times to call you over the last several days, but I can't even leave a voice mail since your mailbox is full.

What is the status of my speakers and subs?  Unless you deliver this weekend, this will be the second year in a row that I have to explain to my friends visiting for RMAF that I'm still waiting for my speakers...

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #57 on: 30 Sep 2014, 09:15 pm »
:(

rms8

« Reply #58 on: 1 Oct 2014, 12:55 pm »
....this will be the second year in a row that I have to explain to my friends visiting for RMAF that I'm still waiting for my speakers...

Wait, WUT ?  :o

Ruben,
I have faith that you'll be able to deliver, but I can't wait that long.  I feel I have been patient and understanding of the circumstances which have popped up during the time you have been building my speakers.  My room has been finished for months now and I was expecting the speakers in July.  From your last pic, they look to be mostly finished.  I too have left voice messages with no return calls and after seeing the above comment am very worried.

Please respond with some good news (like a tracking number  :green:  )!!!!!  I'm still holding on to the faith thing!

Rob

wshuff

« Reply #59 on: 1 Oct 2014, 01:10 pm »
And I just need you to ship my cabinet.  The particulars are in the PM I left for your yesterday.  Thanks!