Where to go with bi-wire cables for VR-35?

Todd R

Where to go with bi-wire cables for VR-35?
« on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:42 pm »
Picked up a pair of VR-35's this summer and am wondering which way to turn regarding bi-wiring these?
Currently using a single wire run of Audience Au24SE. Would it be better to ad another run of the same cable, or are there better choices for bi-wiring these speakers?
Amp is PrinaLuna Dialog HP Integrated (70 wpc, 8-EL34 tubes).
Thanks

SundayNiagara

Re: Where to go with bi-wire cables for VR-35?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:50 pm »
Picked up a pair of VR-35's this summer and am wondering which way to turn regarding bi-wiring these?
Currently using a single wire run of Audience Au24SE. Would it be better to ad another run of the same cable, or are there better choices for bi-wiring these speakers?
Amp is PrinaLuna Dialog HP Integrated (70 wpc, 8-EL34 tubes).
Thanks

Run a bi-wired pair.

kernelbob

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2017, 05:24 pm »
Todd, I would suggest trying a set of MasterBuilt Performance series cables or a higher level MB series if your budget permits.  Though you could save some by using one pair of bi-wired cables, you'll have more flexibility using two independent pairs of speaker cables, possibly bi-amping in the future.

The MB cables are a great match for VSA speakers.  You'll get very wide frequency response with tight, focused bass and a wide & deep soundstage.  Dynamics and instrumental timbre are spot on.  Very importantly, the sound is neutral without peaks and dips that can become so annoying once your ear identifies them.  These cables will let the VR35's sing.

Leif a call at VSA can provide more information.

Best,
Robert

Bob Stark

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2017, 08:33 pm »
Is there a possibility of using jumpers to get to the second set of binding posts.  If so, how long would they have to be?  I have an 8 ft. set of Amadi Maddie Signature silver wired cables and matching 14" jumpers that I used on VMPS RM40 ribbon speakers.  They sounded very good are were far better than any cables I had used previously--these included Harmonic Technology Pro 9+, Crimson, Morrow MA-5 biwired, Audioquest biwired Midnight Blue, Speltz Anticables, DNM, and a little better sounding in the bass and treble than MG Audio Planus III copper.  Very detailed, dynamic with very good bass and no etch to the sound.  I only changed to another cable after a friend brought over ones he had that were a little more organic sounding.  They made a nice difference in my system.  I would sell the AMS cables with jumpers, if interested.  $475 for both the cables and jumpers.  These would list for well over $1800 for both.  They are 3 years old and in 8-9 condition.  You'd be hard-pressed to find something in this price range that could compete with their sound.

Bob Stark

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2017, 08:38 pm »
I've had early Von Schweikert speakers for 18 years and am quite familiar with the family sound.  The AMS cables would sound very live with the VS speakers.  You would hear many things that would go unnoticed with lesser cables with jumping dynamics.  Not sure about how long of jumpers would be needed, however.

Todd R

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2017, 11:14 pm »
Bob, there is not a great distance between the posts like on the VR-4JR. It's a standard set of posts.

Bob Stark

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2017, 11:37 pm »
Hey Todd,

How would you describe the sound of your VR-35's?  I used to have Allison Ones a long time ago--in the 70's & 80's.  They have a similar look as the 35's and were meant to be placed along the wall.  They sounded best on a long wall rather than short wall.   They were very easy to listen to but weren't the last word in detail.  Really good outside on my deck, however.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:38 pm »
As kernelbob has stated in his post, for the highest level of performance you would either want to use a set of biwire or 2 sets of single run cables.  Using jumpers is the lesser of the of those.

Leif

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:39 pm »
And I do not recommend Silver

Todd R

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2017, 05:19 pm »
As kernelbob has stated in his post, for the highest level of performance you would either want to use a set of biwire or 2 sets of single run cables.  Using jumpers is the lesser of the of those.

Leif

Understood.
My thinking is to keep the Audience Au24SE on the  high/mid posts and add a cable for the bass.
The question is what would be a good cable to add?

SundayNiagara

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2017, 07:56 pm »
Understood.
My thinking is to keep the Audience Au24SE on the  high/mid posts and add a cable for the bass.
The question is what would be a good cable to add?

Run the same cable. :)

Todd R

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2017, 09:08 pm »
Run the same cable. :)

Ideally yes, but I'd like to save money if possible.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2017, 12:11 am »
Ideally yes, but I'd like to save money if possible.

It's called synergy. That's not the place to skimp.