Cheap and Cheerful Racks?

Doublej

Cheap and Cheerful Racks?
« on: 5 Nov 2017, 04:40 pm »
What are folks recommending these days for cheap and cheerful racks?

Sonny

Re: Cheap and Cheerful Racks?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2017, 05:01 pm »
Well, Salamander Synergy are nice and affordable.  It’s also very configurable!  I have two 30” towers I am thinking about selling if you’re interested.  Pamela if you are.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2017, 01:03 pm »
Concrete blocks and 2x12's.  (In 40+ years I've never had any success with any of the tweaks I've tried.)

Seriously for my simple system I use a leftover 12 inch by 43 inch piece of shelving that I varnished and added four spikes to sit on the floor between the speakers (pulled roughly 5 feet from the front wall), similar to an extended amp stand.  This replaced a small rack (Ikea night stand) and very nicely opened up the soundstage.

jk@home

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2017, 12:54 pm »
My previous small $30 Ikea nightstand is no longer available.   :(
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2017, 03:30 pm by JLM »

Tubeburner

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2017, 01:28 pm »
Watch Craigslist daily. I found a nice double wide Salamander rack for $50. This lists for about $750. I have a single Salamander I paid $100 for. I have seen several different ones there.

restrav

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2017, 01:49 pm »
this is a tv stand but it functions 100% perfectly for 2 to 4 or even more stereo componenets.
i bought from walmart.com with free shipping for 70 bucks. which is nice because it weights a ton.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2017, 02:31 pm »
Hi Doublej,
  I just went to a saw mill and bought some pine barnboard and 4x4's. As cheap as that is I use plastic milk crates for my speaker stands. You can fill them up with old Stereophiles for balast...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2017, 04:26 pm »
Watch Craigslist daily. I found a nice double wide Salamander rack for $50. This lists for about $750. I have a single Salamander I paid $100 for. I have seen several different ones there.

+1! I've picked up several nice stands on CL for about $50 each.  Even some Boltz CD racks.  Usually because SWMBO decides to change the decor in some poor schmuck's house.   :thumb:

mca

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2017, 04:41 pm »
Have a look at the Pangaea racks from audio advisor.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2017, 03:03 pm »
All - Thanks for the suggestions. I also found a rack from Monoprice called the  Monolith 4, though shipping to the North East of the US adds almost 50% to the price.

I keep perusing Craig's List for a sub $100 Salamander in my area but so far no luck. Everyone in my area wants $300+ for their used Synergy racks.

deadhead

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2017, 03:19 pm »
I second the Pangea racks.  I have a 4 shelf unit and separate one for my amp.  I think the taller one was $100 and free shipping.

andy_c

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2017, 01:12 am »
What are folks recommending these days for cheap and cheerful racks?

I just got one of these.  Great price for what you get, but a disadvantage is that it's not very deep.

goggle1824

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2018, 12:36 pm »
Many of those IKEA racks look C&C enough, are the spikes helpful for non TT systems?  Will keep an eye on CL as well though.

Spica

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2018, 08:42 am »
IKEA Lack range is great for making up inexpensive racks, as long as you have a few tools and basic woodworking skills

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2018, 06:06 pm »
I have been  using this for awhile now until I build something better. It really does work well because it's the perfect width, is long so lots of room for gear and it's low to the ground. I'm guess you could add one more shelf below if you wanted to, it works as is just fine for me.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50228034/