Where will speaker design go in the next 10 or 20 years?

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: Where will speaker design go in the next 10 or 20 years?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Sep 2017, 07:01 am »
I think we're headed to the future depicted in "Wall-E"... people being too lazy to do anything themselves. Best part was the scene where two guys are talking to each other via digital video, and end up sitting right next to each other, but still using the video system.

Marius

« Reply #41 on: 13 Sep 2017, 07:51 am »
I for one just like to stay informed of developments, and try not to judge too much. To each their own, and i understand (maybe should say share) the fear for constant Muzac around us, and people having earbuds 100% of their time, even when participating in traffic...

That being said there seem to be at least 2 developments of interest.
1- the technical enhancement of so called audiophile systems and
2- the development of our use of technique for our day to day activities concerning music (and much more). Which in fact is a more behavioral development.

These do not necessarily are the same, nor fight each other. There's a whole world in between. Maybe they are morphing to the same world in 10-20 years. Who knows.

The Active speakers Bryston is developing could be seen as a major development of the first, some would even consider Tidal/MQA. Others wouldn't obviously.... In any case i find myself to be fortunate to be able to enjoy best of both worlds and hope companies like Bryston stay here and develop for quality, and not so much for maximizing profit. Cause that could be another way ordering developments, not necessarily leading up to maximized quality...

I admit not a very informative post this is, still, I felt the need for complimenting Bryston on having this forum and let us all have our go.. Thanks for posting your thoughts! I really enjoy the imagination and knowledgeable posts.

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2017, 11:20 am by Marius »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #42 on: 13 Sep 2017, 10:55 am »
Good topic, Marius, thanx for starting it. I agree with you about Bryston and hi-end aspirations. I too hope that more companies would adopt the carefully weighed business ethics and science-based product development of the Bryston group.

Much of "science fiction" eventually ceases to be that, thanks to tech development and human nature. I remember reading Huxley's Brave New World in junior high. We laughed then, saying it would never happen. But it has -- genetic engineering, hypnopedia, psychopharm, etc. That book was published in 1932 and was likely shrugged off as nonsense. Still is a classic, and no longer a "warning". I think audio won't ever be a nightmarish scenario, but who knows? Speaker tech may be exploited to exert covert, subconscious conditioning of the masses, etc.

cheers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #43 on: 13 Sep 2017, 10:58 am »
I think we're headed to the future depicted in "Wall-E"... people being too lazy to do anything themselves. Best part was the scene where two guys are talking to each other via digital video, and end up sitting right next to each other, but still using the video system.
This happen now w/msg text.

Tympani

« Reply #44 on: 13 Sep 2017, 03:59 pm »
Great discussion, but I think we've strayed a bit from Marius' initial question regarding Speaker Design, not listening systems. As long as we continue to hold the reproduction of musician-performed music (amplified or not) in live space as our standard, speaker design will strive to pursue that standard.

20 years is really not that long for major evolution of technology. I recall my beloved Maggie Tympani 4A's from 35 years ago providing easily as satisfying sound as just about anything out there today, but audio nirvana can be achieved in so many ways. 8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #45 on: 13 Sep 2017, 04:10 pm »
I had Tympani 4A's as well back in the mid 80's and loved them - even had them actively bi-amplified. 

They did what speakers should do - move a lot of 'air' at 'low distortion'

james