Fuse Sizes, pls...

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
Fuse Sizes, pls...
« on: 6 Sep 2017, 07:24 pm »
Hello Audio Experts!
I would like to spend some $$ on fuses (hey, some of mine are old!) for my AVA boxes, but I don't see the complete specs anywhere.  Without pulling my amp & pre out & apart, I figured the best place for an answer would be here!

Amp: 400R FV
Pre: FV CF Hybrid

The Op. Ins. for the pre say "...a 1-ampere slo-blo...", but no size (small:5x20; large:6.3x32). (Edit:pulled, I think it's large 32mm)

The instructions for the 400R list many fuses:
--"speaker fuses adjacent to each output..." (I'm assuming two?). : 6-ampere Quick Blow ("not to be exceeded").  But the AVA web page says: "5 amp quick blo"  So I'll use a 5amp.  :thumb: But which size, small or large?
"In addition to the two back panel output fuses..., there are three more fuses". 
--"The single slo-blo fuse nearest the chassis ground switch on the back panel is a 15a slo-blo on the AC line ahead of all internal circuits".  But the web page says: 10a slo-blo.  So I'll use the 10a.  But the size (5x20mm or 6.3x32mm) is missing.
--"The two 8a quick-blo fuses in the dual fuse block inside the chassis are the B+ fuses...after the power supply"  Web also says 8a, but no size!
--The web page, but not the instruction pages, list two 0.25 Amp quick blow internal fuses, no purpose and no sizes!

The AVA website FAQs says that AVA uses the "big" fuses almost everywhere, "...however, use some much smaller 5mm by 15mm glass fuses in a few applications." (!), If someone could confirm the sizes I won't have to pull things apart before ordering.  :eyebrows:

TIA!  Murf

« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2017, 01:03 pm by murf »

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Fuses Sizes, pls...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2017, 09:11 pm »
Fuses? Oh dear, oh dear.

Carl V

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2017, 09:21 pm »
Fuses? Oh dear, oh dear.

Sigh, I hope you have no blown fuses thus far, that all is well with gear.

murf

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2017, 10:38 pm »
OK you Mugs,
My AVA stuff couldn't be better; they are built like tanks.  But I wonder if some of my fuses might be aging.  There is no way I am trading in my 400R & FV CF Pre, but maybe I could spend a small bill on them & see what happens.
I don't really want this to be a pro/con thread about if fuses can affect SQ.  I am not spending big bucks on the big names.  I don't have Telefunken tubes, and although I did weld a 12ga power cord to my pre-IEC amp (sorry Frank!), it's a DIY of Belden cable.
It would be cool if someone could tell me the fuse sizes by position though, pls!

Murf

« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017, 02:07 pm by murf »

avahifi

Re: Fuse Sizes, pls...
« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:23 pm »
All fuses in AVA equipment are 3AG physical size except small size fuse used in Vision Q phono board and big amp turn on board.

Big amps use 8 to 12 amp 250V slow blow main AC fuse depending on power rating of amp.

Quick blow back panel speaker fuses are 3 amp to 6 amp depending upon amp power ratings.  For best protection, use smallest current rating fuses in your amp that do not blow often at your normal listening levels.

Amps also have internal power supply quick blow fuses.  Call me for values fir your amp.

Note that fuse values and types are specified in your user guide.  If you have misplaced yours, email me at frank@avahifi for a.pdf replacement.

Frank

murf

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2017, 02:05 pm »
Thanks Frank!

"All fuses in AVA equipment are 3AG physical size...."

The innernet says the 3AG is also called the 'American fuse', 6.3(5)mm x 32mm, often called the 'large' fuse, as opposed to the 5x20mm 'small' fuse used in some of my <cough> other equipment. 
I think I've got it now!

Murf

« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2017, 05:13 pm by murf »

murf

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2017, 12:07 am »
Frank said:
"Note that fuse values and types are specified in your user guide.  If you have misplaced yours, email me at frank@avahifi for a.pdf replacement."

I have my user guides, found all the values in it, but didn't find the size info per specific fuse.  The AVA website FAQs have the values for all your machines, but again, no exact size info.  Also, a couple of the amp values are different in the user guide & the FAQ  page.  I'm sure it's my ignorance which is the real prob here, not Frank's support!

OT?: On another audio forum, some guy was having amp probs, and a participant said, "Use the AVA trouble shooting flowchart!"  So, even people not using Franks equipment appreciate & use the info he has put on his web page.  The guy also said Frank was real, & cool too...8)

Best,  Murf

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2017, 01:25 am »
This might help you, but not nearly as much as an inexpensive slide caliper: http://www.optifuse.com/blog/t091014.php

Have fun,

Jerry

murf

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2017, 01:36 am »
Thanks Jerry,
So this is what those engineers do just to confuse us.
Now throw in inches vs mm vs ref size....
This is why Dog gave us beer.

Murf

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2017, 01:41 am »
... Now throw in inches vs mm vs ref size....

Thus the inexpensive slide caliper.  :wink:

murf

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2017, 01:52 am »
You have a slide caliper!!!
I bet you also watch "The big bang theory" on tv?  :rotflmao: :thumb:

Murf

« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017, 02:01 pm by murf »