New to audio circle

s20000

New to audio circle
« on: 14 Sep 2017, 08:23 pm »
Hello, I had interest in this forum get opinions and suggestions on audio. I enjoy movies and music and trying to get a balance between the 2 so I don't look into dedicated system for each use. Any suggestions in this regard would be great.

Thank you  :)
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2017, 06:51 am by s20000 »

Phil A

Re: New to audio circle
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2017, 08:24 pm »
Welcome to AC!

s20000

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2017, 08:26 pm »
Thank you. I will sift through some of the threads here to see what is of interest.

s20000

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2017, 08:27 pm »
Is there a way to edit my original post?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2017, 09:37 pm »
Recommendations can run the gamut from simple and inexpensive to complex and expensive. 

The system could range from 2.1 to 9.4 channels. 

Please indicate if music or HT has a priority for you and if you want a 4K and/or 3D playback.

And before providing recommendations we need to also know your preference of music and movie genres

And we'll need to know the characteristics of your room (dimensions, openings, windows, furnishing layout, finishes).

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2017, 09:44 pm »
Hello, I am had interest in this forum get opinions and suggestions on audio. I enjoy movies and music and trying to get a balance between the 2 so I don't look into dedicated system for each use. Any suggestions in this regard would be great.

Thank you  :)

Welcome, what type of budget and what type of room do you have? Do you need to get "approval" from a spouse or someone on what you buy?

s20000

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2017, 06:48 am »
I am currently running  a pioneer elite SC-27 as a sound processor and pre amp. My fronts consist of Kef reference series Model 1. My center is a Definitive CLR 2000 and UIW in ceiling rears. The rears have two 5.5 in drivers and with 2 tweeters each. I just upgraded to a JTR captivator 18 inch sub the cap 118HT. That in itself has made a significant difference in movies and music. 4k and atmos is certainly on the back burner and no rush there. I am content with 5.1 and dont see a reason to go to 7.1 at the moment. Maybe atmos 5.2.1 or 5.4.2 at some point. I am probably 60% movies and 40% Music but see the benefit of having a dedicated amplifier.

My room is 22x30 but opens to the Dining area and kitchen as I have an open floor plan. I also have stairs that and walk in foyer with vaulted ceilings. No dedicated HT room but have made the best use of What I can. I have  a parasound 5125 that is very smooth, clear and easy to listen to with no fatigue, however seem to be lacking some power for stereo listening. My Kef fronts are 4 Ohm and rated at 150 watts. I tested a NAD 2200 from a friend and that amp has some serious dynamic power, however does seem a but dull compared to the parasound. At this point if I Had the power from that NAD with the parasound I think i would be happy.

That goes into my thought of upgrading to some other amps. I have been considering the Citation 7.1 or 5.1 and the Parasound HCA 2200 Mark II. I am looking for a great amp on a budget and hoping not to go much over $600-700. Also considering trading some of my gear below possibly to get an amp I can be truly happy with. I utilize audio review quite a bit to gather thoughts on certain audio equipment and any other suggestions for an amp to the ones mentioned above would be appreciated. The Parasound A21 was also getting great reviews but may be out of my budget. Im in my mid 30s and love movies and music. More recently been listening to Clapton, Dire straits, the eagles, some various classical and Jazz. I actually enjoy many different genres of music. The subwoofer I have now goes below 15hz in some movies and the tactile feel is absolutely great. I feel like im pretty close to being completely happy with my system where I can just enjoy it and not worry about any more upgrades.

I am probably selling my Definitive BP 10s - Super Cube II and rear BPX as the WAF did not want these to remain compared to the in ceiling options.
I may also consider selling some Kef Q100 bookshelves.  So one can hope with this amplifier concern I will be done upgrading for a while. :o

s20000

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2017, 06:59 am »
Also any suggestions on how to raise my Kef model 1s a bit. Maybe 6 to 8 inch as they are not that tall. I would love to find some stands or any ideas would be great.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2017, 11:47 am »
From my understanding the KEF's are stand-mounts, so stands are definitely needed especially if you listen anything close to near-field.  Very few stand-mount speakers are designed for anything but use on stands to avoid muddy/mushy bass.  Suggest  the stands allow for tweeter height to match ear height at your listening position.  If you have pets or kids around, recommend heavy/wide based stands to avoid tipping over (I had a 5 pound cat knock over 10"x10"x20" speakers on 12" stands and 15 years later a 4 pound cat knock over much smaller speakers on 24" stands).

For that big of room, recommend use of subwoofers with any stand-mounts.  Recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" to get a good idea of how bass behaves in-room.  Based on his recommendations and your room size, suggest you look into using at least two subs set up at opposite ends of the room.  Also suggest crossing over the sub well above the F3 of the LF/RF speakers (stereo mains) to blend well, take load off the woofer, and allow for mid-bass "body".  One octave higher would be a good starting point.  Much above 80 Hz and the ear can start to discern where the sub(s) is/are in the room.

If the sub is used for music, most recommend a smaller/sealed unit for music and HT use.  Music subs should be "fast" and "tight" versus HT subs that do exaggerated special effects.  Rythmik sells quality sealed units using up to 15 inch drivers.

With that low impedance on your mains, the power amp is recommended to have a "substantial" power supply and be rated down to below 4 ohms if possible.  I've heard how a beefy power supply can really add meat to the bones of stand mounts.  Note that the NAD house sound has traditionally been described as "warm".  You're amp budget, compared to the rest of your gear is probably unrealistic unless you buy used.  If you like Parasound, stick with that brand.

It's hard to glean pertinent information from reviews from unknown sources.  It takes many hours of reading between the lines to learn the tastes, related experience, and knowledgeability of any given reviewer.  For these reasons in my opinion Audio Review is one of the poorest sources for reviews, especially for higher end gear. 

After 40+ at this audio seems that the upgrade bug is very hard to shake.  HT is probably worse as the technology is changing faster.

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2017, 01:29 pm »
Hi, The first thing I would think about is get matching speakers across the front. If you want to elevate 6-8 inches look at Isoacoustics stands, reviews are founds on you tube. If you want to make your amp sound better DON'T buy a new one until you try the Mapleshade Minimalist Outlet for less than $80, it makes everything sound better.

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2017, 02:51 am »
Hello and welcome to AC!