Shoulda done this a long time ago

SoCalWJS

Shoulda done this a long time ago
« on: 2 May 2017, 11:46 pm »
I recently committed to going all out on improving my digital music listening experience. I've been anticipating the Oppo 205 for a long time, knowing that at some point they would come out with a 4k player, and hopefully have a DAC that was near the very top as they always have in the past. I figured Dan at ModWright would do his magic, and that would be what I would view as probably my last CD/SACD/Universal Player. I stopped buying "toys" for a couple of years, and I cut out a lot of extras. Put my name on the waiting list at ModWright. Placed my order for the new Player within an hour or so of when it was released. Had it shipped straight to Washington State. Now the hardest part of the wait, because the end is so close.

Thought to myself, "What else should I do to take this up a notch"? I have a couple of the Triode Wire Power cords that I've enjoyed for several years now (connecting my UberBUSS to the wall and my Preamp). Decided I wanted to do something similar in anticipation, so traded some emails with Pete, as I've chatted with him at various shows though the years. He recommended the Digital American for the player. Went ahead and ordered a couple (Player will need 2). They arrived over the weekend. I opened the package, and I have to admit they are gorgeous.

I figured, well, they're not doing any good just sitting in their bags, might as well hook them up to my Oppo 95 while I am waiting for the 205.....

"Wha......... What is this? Where did that 'Digital Edge' go?"  :dunno:

Wow. I mean "WOW!"

Thanks Pete! I've spent most of the day throwing old CD's into the machine and just listening. I haven't done that much recently.

I wish I had the words to describe it better than just that that nasty digital "glare" has been greatly reduced. I can't say it sounds like Analog (without all of it's issues - surface noise, scratched, ticks, pops, etc), but this is soooooo much closer in my system now than it was before. I hate saying this because I know that for most people, cables & wires and such can be such a divisive topic, but.... Again - WOW! Also hearing more inner detail and subtleties in the music.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Shoulda done this a long time ago.

(does this mean I need to save up for cords for my amps now?  :duh:)

dpatters

Re: Shoulda done this a long time ago
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2017, 11:02 am »
Yes!  I'm using the HP Digital Americans on my Hypex NC400 monoblocks and the Digital Americans on my digital front end.  Silver Statement feeding UberBuss. I just ordered another Silver Statement as an upgrade to the Ten Plus that's currently on my preamp.

Don P.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2017, 12:07 pm »
I recently committed to going all out on improving my digital music listening experience. I've been anticipating the Oppo 205 for a long time, knowing that at some point they would come out with a 4k player, and hopefully have a DAC that was near the very top as they always have in the past. I figured Dan at ModWright would do his magic, and that would be what I would view as probably my last CD/SACD/Universal Player. I stopped buying "toys" for a couple of years, and I cut out a lot of extras. Put my name on the waiting list at ModWright. Placed my order for the new Player within an hour or so of when it was released. Had it shipped straight to Washington State. Now the hardest part of the wait, because the end is so close.

Thought to myself, "What else should I do to take this up a notch"? I have a couple of the Triode Wire Power cords that I've enjoyed for several years now (connecting my UberBUSS to the wall and my Preamp). Decided I wanted to do something similar in anticipation, so traded some emails with Pete, as I've chatted with him at various shows though the years. He recommended the Digital American for the player. Went ahead and ordered a couple (Player will need 2). They arrived over the weekend. I opened the package, and I have to admit they are gorgeous.

I figured, well, they're not doing any good just sitting in their bags, might as well hook them up to my Oppo 95 while I am waiting for the 205.....

Wow. I mean "WOW!"

Thanks Pete! I've spent most of the day throwing old CD's into the machine and just listening. I haven't done that much recently.

I wish I had the words to describe it better than just that that nasty digital "glare" has been greatly reduced. I can't say it sounds like Analog (without all of it's issues - surface noise, scratched, ticks, pops, etc), but this is soooooo much closer in my system now than it was before. I hate saying this because I know that for most people, cables & wires and such can be such a divisive topic, but.... Again - WOW! Also hearing more inner detail and subtleties in the music.

People say high end cables can be expensive, my experience is having to buy new gear is more expensive. When I post an experience similar to the one you describe in a forum like this cable haters crawl out from under their rocks (who never tried anything other than lamp cord as a general rule). It is so refreshing to see your post in that context. Yes, it will only get better from here. I would recommend upgrading your wall socket and adding a nice PLC, then adding more cords. I think you were 100% right in upgrading the source first. Have fun with your new Oppo when it arrives.

hi5harry

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2017, 03:26 pm »
Yes!  I'm using the HP Digital Americans on my Hypex NC400 monoblocks and the Digital Americans on my digital front end.  Silver Statement feeding UberBuss. I just ordered another Silver Statement as an upgrade to the Ten Plus that's currently on my preamp.

Don P.
That's how it starts! There is no cure for upgraditis. Then, before you know it.....

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2017, 05:01 pm »
I think I should talk to Pete about the Digital American cables then. :-)

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2017, 11:25 am »

Don P.
People say high end cables can be expensive, my experience is having to buy new gear is more expensive. When I post an experience similar to the one you describe in a forum like this cable haters crawl out from under their rocks (who never tried anything other than lamp cord as a general rule). It is so refreshing to see your post in that context. Yes, it will only get better from here. I would recommend upgrading your wall socket and adding a nice PLC, then adding more cords. I think you were 100% right in upgrading the source first. Have fun with your new Oppo when it arrives.
That's how it starts! There is no cure for upgraditis. Then, before you know it.....

Wow. I mean "WOW!"

Thank you, guys, for your kind accolades!

Cheers,
Pete