Herbie's Hush Puckies Weight Limit

sharok

Herbie's Hush Puckies Weight Limit
« on: 10 Feb 2017, 03:28 am »
I have a pair of Martin Logan Summit X and I'd like to use Hush Puckies under the spikes since they sit on bare tiles.

Each Summit X speaker weights 75 Pounds. Does anybody know how much weight can four Herbie's Hush Puckies handle?

If they can handle the weight of the Summit X, which one is better to use with that speaker, Regular or Extra-Thick (Brass, Steel, ...)? IS there anything better than Hush Puckies to use with my speakers that I missed?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Herbie's Hush Puckies Weight Limit
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2017, 03:55 am »
I have a pair of Martin Logan Summit X and I'd like to use Hush Puckies under the spikes since they sit on bare tiles.

Each Summit X speaker weights 75 Pounds. Does anybody know how much weight can four Herbie's Hush Puckies handle?

If they can handle the weight of the Summit X, which one is better to use with that speaker, Regular or Extra-Thick (Brass, Steel, ...)? IS there anything better than Hush Puckies to use with my speakers that I missed?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi, Sharok. Hush Puckies will be able to handle the weight of 75-lbs speakers. There's not really a weight limit for Hush Puckies: weight load is not so much an issue as the vibrational environment they are dealing with. Extra-thick Hush Puckies are appropriate to handle more severe vibrational environments, as they have more isolation and decoupling "beef" as opposed to regular Hush Puckies. Between the different disc types (Brass, Stainless Steel, and Titanium), sonic differences are subtle and often system dependent, and generally not noticeable enough to mark one as superior to the others. Titanium has the most potential to deal with the higher-frequency, acute micro-vibrations that cause some of the grunge and glare in music, though that potential isn't always realized, especially with loudspeaker applications. Due to the lower price, brass is typically the default recommendation.

With loudspeakers such as the Martin Logan Summit X, any of our Glider lineup of products is usually recommended (Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders, Threaded Stud Gliders, etc). Besides isolating the loudspeaker from the floor, Gliders allow for easy repositioning of the speakers when needed to dial in the best stereo imaging. Gliders are available on our "Loudspeaker & Rack Decoupling/Isolation" page, here.

Best regards,

Robert Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

sharok

Re: Herbie's Hush Puckies Weight Limit
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2017, 04:44 am »
Many thanks for the advice and recommendation.
Now I know what I need to purchase.