My Dad, a great man!

Triode Pete

My Dad, a great man!
« on: 5 Feb 2017, 02:33 pm »
I was with my Dad yesterday afternoon in upstate NY with my older brother Gary... I received a call this morning stating my Dad had passed... He's in a better place now, with my Mom and the Lord.

My Dad, a WWII Marine, grew-up during the Great Depression. He would have been 95 this April... He was tough (6'4", 220 lbs of muscle) but kind gentleman.

He worked for the General Electric Company in Schenectady, NY for 45 years, manufacturing electric motors and generators, both large (4kV and small). He graduated from the 4 year GE Apprentice Program in a record 2 years. He was a Master Machinist and later in his career, held the title of Manufacturing Engineer.

Later in his career, he was responsible for moving his Small AC Motors Department (30 HP to 500 HP) from Schenectady to Owensboro, KY. My Dad retrofitted the old Kentucky Radiation (Ken-Rad) vacuum tube factory (owned by GE since 1945) to produce super high quality electric motors. Unfortunately, in 2010, GE Energy closed the Owensboro factory and moved manufacturing to Monterrey, Mexico... This upset my Dad...

After retiring from GE, my Dad still worked as a technical manufacturing consultant for Intermagnetics General (now owned by European Philips Corp.), a leading designer and manufacturer of medical devices designed primarily for magnetic resonance imaging applications (MRI). It was originally a spin-off from General Electric in 1971. My Dad consulted with them for over 10 years, ensuring they were a highly profitable, Made in USA business.

Yep, my Dad was part of the USA's greatest generation and I will miss him...

Peace,
Pete

dpatters

Re: My Dad, a great man!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2017, 02:39 pm »
Pete,

Sandy and I are truly sorry for your loss.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You are blessed for having him for such a long and productive life.

Best,

Don P

DTB300

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2017, 02:44 pm »
Sorry to hear...what a great life he had and what great things he did.    He will always be in your heart.

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2017, 02:45 pm »
Many condolences to you and your family Pete.
Now I know where your traits come from.
Sounds like your father's life was fully dedicated and would bet
that dedication will be with him as he and your mother travel on.

Don

shadowlight

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2017, 03:31 pm »
Pete, sorry to hear about your loss.  Our condolences to you and our family.

jimbones

Condolences
« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2017, 03:33 pm »
Pete, very sorry to hear of your Dads passing. It's good to know that you had spent precious good times together. I wish you and your family much peace.

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2017, 03:35 pm »
My condolences Pete.  It sounds like your dad lived a good life on his own terms.  We should all be so lucky.

R.

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2017, 03:56 pm »
Im so sorry Pete. It is a blessing that you were with him the day before. And thank you for sharing these things about your Dads life. You will be in my thoughts today.

Jason

Paret

• Keller, TX
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2017, 04:32 pm »
My condolences to you and your family.

Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX USA

rpf

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2017, 04:56 pm »
My condolences Pete, to you and your family.

What a great set of accomplishments! It's wonderful that you had such a connection with him, and for such a long time.

zacho

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2017, 06:13 pm »
Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family Pete!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2017, 06:17 pm »
Thoughts and Prayers to you and your Family. It sounds like your Father was indeed a member of the Greatest Generation. Served his Country in a very trying time, then had a great Career (probably one that shaped your direction in choice of your own).

Take care.

Joe Frances

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2017, 07:32 pm »
Pete:

Very sorry to hear about your father's passing.  It sounds like you were able to spend some time with him near the end, which was a blessing.  What was your father's first name? I would like to pray for him. May the days to come bring you happy memories of days gone by.  There are/were so many great men of our fathers' generation would quietly did good things; took care of their families; lived with integrity; and did it without fuss and bother.  We have to emulate them, so that the good they did will live on in us and our children.  The work that you do now is in no small way a tribute to him.

Joe Franceski

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2017, 07:37 pm »
It sounds like he was really a great man. Sacrifices for his country and family. My prayers are with you and your family. Remember him fondly and carry on his legacy of hard work and care for those around him.
Below is a saying I learned in college that I presented
 at my dad's funeral. Perhaps it resonates with you for your father. My dad was such a man and it sounds like your dad was as well

The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.
- John Walter Wayland

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 5 Feb 2017, 07:37 pm »
My condolences for the unexpected passing of your dad Pete.
RIP

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 5 Feb 2017, 07:57 pm »
My condolences to you and your family Pete.

Sincerely,
Ed

rodge827

« Reply #16 on: 5 Feb 2017, 08:04 pm »
My condolences Pete on the passing of your Dad.

Chris

TomS

« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2017, 08:06 pm »
Sorry to hear of your loss, Pete. It sounds like your Dad lived life to the fullest, one of many of that generation who helped build the foundation of what we enjoy today. God's peace to your family.

Tom

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2017, 09:11 pm »
I am sorry to hear, Pete.

"They just don't make 'em like that anymore" comes to mind in your description
of your father and the electric motors that he used to make for GE.   RIP.

Wishing you and your family much strength and comfort during this difficult time.

Vinnie

martinr

« Reply #19 on: 5 Feb 2017, 09:12 pm »
My condolences to you and your family Pete.  Your dad sounds like he was a great man.  My mother is 95 years old also, they came from a great generation.  Your dad was part of America's fabric. 

- Martin