MicroRendu with Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 - Stunning Improvement

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Before this product I have tried several different linear power supplies in the $100 to $400 range and have found no noticeable improvement with any of them.  This new UltraCap LPS-1 is a different animal.  I seldom notice changes in wire, small speaker position changes, etc. ... those subtle things that some hear.  This improvement is not subtle. There was an immediate improvement in most areas of sound reproduction.  In particular there was a huge improvement in what I'll call the snap factor.  Leading edges of sounds are much more distinct.  Yes, that is a wooden drumstick, yes those are all steel guitar strings... that kind of thing.  Rain in the background is more real.  And I am noticing bass guitar lines that were less distinct before.  But really, an overall improvement that moves the microRendu to a new level.  If you are using a microRendu, order one of these immediately.  For $400, it is a stunning improvement.  Just do it, as they say.  Makes me wonder what one of Vinnie's new UltraCap 12v supplies would do for my 12V line stage amp.  But I just ordered another amp so that will have to wait.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Perhaps I should add this supply after my Uptone Audio JS-2  :thumb:; I'll need to keep the JS-2 as it provides 12V DC to my sonicTransporter I5 server.

Best,
Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Perhaps I should add this supply after my Uptone Audio JS-2  :thumb:; I'll need to keep the JS-2 as it provides 12V DC to my sonicTransporter I5 server.

Best,
Anand.
Just get the Vinnie Rossi MINI and be done. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145402.msg1555511#msg1555511

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Just get the Vinnie Rossi MINI and be done.

Ah! The voice of reason...thanks  :green:

Anand.

MttBsh

Just last evening I ordered a Microrendu, along with Blue Jeans Cat 6a Ethernet Cable and an UltraCap LPS-1 power supply. I can't wait to get these into my system and hear what all of the fuss is about!

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
Before this product I have tried several different linear power supplies in the $100 to $400 range and have found no noticeable improvement with any of them.  This new UltraCap LPS-1 is a different animal.  I seldom notice changes in wire, small speaker position changes, etc. ... those subtle things that some hear.  This improvement is not subtle. There was an immediate improvement in most areas of sound reproduction.  In particular there was a huge improvement in what I'll call the snap factor.  Leading edges of sounds are much more distinct.  Yes, that is a wooden drumstick, yes those are all steel guitar strings... that kind of thing.  Rain in the background is more real.  And I am noticing bass guitar lines that were less distinct before.  But really, an overall improvement that moves the microRendu to a new level.  If you are using a microRendu, order one of these immediately.  For $400, it is a stunning improvement.  Just do it, as they say.  Makes me wonder what one of Vinnie's new UltraCap 12v supplies would do for my 12V line stage amp.  But I just ordered another amp so that will have to wait.

Thanks for sharing this here.

Big Red Machine

So glynn, you are saying a standard power supply did not "improve" your sound like the capacitor themed LPS?

Anyone have a theory as to why this would be?  It is hard to swallow 400 for a singular ps so I need some handholding...

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
That is exactly what I am saying.  No "I think the background is a little blacker" either.  A noticeable and worthwhile improvement.  I am so impressed I am hocking everything and have pre-ordered one of Vinnie's upcoming ultra-cap designs in a 12V value for a linestage I use.

genjamon

So glynn, you are saying a standard power supply did not "improve" your sound like the capacitor themed LPS?

Anyone have a theory as to why this would be?  It is hard to swallow 400 for a singular ps so I need some handholding...

I'm one who heard a very substantial benefit to powering my microRendu from an HDPlex compared with an iFi wall wart unit, or even a cheap Ebay LPS.  Much more body and realism to instruments through the HDPlex.  In comparison, those cheaper units just sounded bleached. 

With the LPS-1, it's a similar magnitude of improvement over what the HDPlex does, as what the HDPlex improved over the iFi/cheap LPS.  But of different character.  With LPS-1 in place, the warmth, body, natural tone of instruments remained and maybe slightly improved, but the bass tightened tremendously, the highs became much more extended, refined, and airy, the soundstage expanded greatly, and instrumental separation especially on complex music greatly increased.  Compared with $400 for an HDPlex for a single application, the $400 for an LPS-1 is a bargain.  At least in the case of the microRendu. 

I also bought a second LPS-1 to power the Fiber Media Converter that feeds ethernet into the microRendu.  Compared with the HDPlex in that application, it's a touch better, reducing some hash and helping with the microdetail retrieval, but it's a more subtle effect. 

genjamon

Oh yeah, theories....

1) John Swenson claims the main benefits people are hearing are due to elimination of what he calls "leakage loops" in the ground plane, for lack of a better term.  It involves noise induced through transformers into the ground plane of the audio equipment, then through their transformers, and into the AC, then into the original device.  Constituting a loop.  Using the LPS-1 (or I would assume one of Vinnie's units) breaks this circuit.  He claims this is the largest effect.  I don't have enough electrical expertise to be able to assess the veracity of this claim about the magnitude of its importance, but it's what he's claiming consistently.

2) Some users have also offered hypotheses that it's the ultra low impedance of the power output, offering clean and reliable and responsive current on demand to a degree that no LPS or battery can provide. 

Both of these sound pretty good to me.  And I have noticed with digital sources how they are so very susceptible to noise, even very low levels.  Certainly the LPS-1's have very much validated for me the utmost importance of cleaning up the power on supplying digital if you're wanting a highly refined and analog sound from a digital source.

Big Red Machine

Awesome answers guys. Looks like I'll go the LPS route over the HDPlex route for the uRendu.

I did find a Ten Tec 12v unit on Ebay I will use for the MS-2 computer. I'll continue to use the nice linear wall wart for the ext HD but was wondering why I couldn't tap into the Ten Tec and power both the computer and HD with the same unit as it is rated up to 7 amps.

ebag4

The LPS -1 improved on an already very quiet system when it replaced my iFi power supply powering my microRendu. Initially I heard a slight reduction in dynamics, but that went away within a few hours.  From the beginning the LPS-1 created an incredibly black backdrop to the music, I am very happy with the purchase.

For reference, the LPS-1 is powering a microRendu which is feeding an Auralic Vega, a sonic transporter is running Roon, music is on a Synology NAS and Tidal. This all feeds a Bottlehead Kaiju with the DC filament conversion, Elrog 300Bs,GE 5 star 5670s, Clarity MR and Jupiter copper caps; this drives a pair of GR Research Wedgies with the foundation supplied by a pair of servo subs in OB per side each with its own servo amp. All power runs through a PI Audio Uberbuss, the RCAs are High Fidelity CT-1s, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables, TWL and stock power cables.

Best,
Ed

bwana

I realize this thread is old but two of you have referenced Vinnie's mini in the discussion of the LPS-1. How do these owed supplies compare? Has anyone looked at them on an oscilloscope?

Tubeburner

I received my LPS-1 on Friday and this is one incredible power supply. The Rendu was already the best front end I have heard and with the LPS-1, the sound is like a fresh look deeper into the music. This is some of the best audio money I have spent. :D