Let's talk about Tube Rolling in the Modwright LS100 Pre

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Re: Let's talk about Tube Rolling in the Modwright LS100 Pre
« Reply #80 on: 15 Feb 2016, 09:49 pm »
Thanks to the generosity of a local tube dealer, I was able to listen to about 10 different pairs of 6SN7's in my house today. Of the 10 pairs, three pairs were quiet enough to live with and I purchased all 3:

1) RCA black plates with D side getters
2) Sylvania GTB's labeled Rogers
3) Newer production Japanese tubes labeled RTT

I really liked the RCA's so I left them installed for now.

I was also able to briefly test a Mullard fat base rectifier in place of my 66 Blackburn GZ34. I honestly couldn't hear a difference so I stuck with my tube.

All in all, a very good day!

jhrlrd

« Reply #81 on: 25 Feb 2016, 05:34 pm »
Did you tap on the tube or chassis to check microphonics in each? In what way was the RCA black plates your favorite?
thanks

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 25 Feb 2016, 05:57 pm »
Thanks to the generosity of a local tube dealer, I was able to listen to about 10 different pairs of 6SN7's in my house today. Of the 10 pairs, three pairs were quiet enough to live with and I purchased all 3:

1) RCA black plates with D side getters
2) Sylvania GTB's labeled Rogers
3) Newer production Japanese tubes labeled RTT

I really liked the RCA's so I left them installed for now.

I was also able to briefly test a Mullard fat base rectifier in place of my 66 Blackburn GZ34. I honestly couldn't hear a difference so I stuck with my tube.

All in all, a very good day!

ALL of the old Mullard GZ34's are great. I wouldn't get hung up on the Metal, fat, this or that.... They are all equally excellent to my ears.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #83 on: 25 Feb 2016, 05:59 pm »
Did you tap on the tube or chassis to check microphonics in each? In what way was the RCA black plates your favorite?
thanks

I tapped on the chassis, something about tapping on tubes with the top off scares me. I'm an electrical engineer, fear (or respect) of electricity never factored into my educational choices for some reason.  :scratch:

I liked the warmth of the RCA mid-range. The bass is a little weak and the top end doesn't sparkle, but overall the sound is close to what I am looking for. After living with these for a week or so, I am picking up on some upper-mid range distortion that I didn't notice before. It's not bad, but knowing it's there makes it stand out more when it does pop up.

I am not done yet but I can live with these tubes for now.

Todd

jimbones

« Reply #84 on: 3 Mar 2016, 04:41 pm »
Ok so I got some Brimar 6SN7's Man do they sound good. They offer the best balance of warmth with good hi end extension. A little light on the bass though

Meechy

« Reply #85 on: 5 Mar 2016, 10:39 pm »
Hi guys. I purchased a pair of Northern Electric 6sn7 tubes and a Sovtek 5ar4 rectifier combination for the LS 100 and I'll just say what a great sound I'm hearing. Wonderful soundstage good spread not very bright top end almost a lush mid and a very strong bottom end. These tubes are very quite no noise at all. The Northern Tubes are good looking with a gold base and pins. If your looking for strong bass these might be the ones for you. Just thought I would add to this topic. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2016, 04:44 pm by Meechy »

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #86 on: 16 Dec 2016, 07:58 am »
Hi guys. I purchased a pair of Northern Electric 6sn7 tubes and a Sovtek 5ar4 rectifier combination for the LS 100 and I'll just say what a great sound I'm hearing. Wonderful soundstage good spread not very bright top end almost a lush mid and a very strong bottom end. These tubes are very quite no noise at all. The Northern Tubes are good looking with a gold base and pins. If your looking for strong bass these might be the ones for you. Just thought I would add to this topic. Thanks.

I'm kinda confused. Which doesn't take much. Are the Northeren Electric from TTS and Sofia Electric 6SN7's the same tubes? Or they actually different tubes?

- Woody

Meechy

« Reply #87 on: 16 Dec 2016, 07:04 pm »
Hey Woody. The Northerns are a Shugang tube I was told. Chinese tube. The guy from the Tubestore. com told me. They are a bit expensive but I got a nice sound from them. Still using them in my Modwright pre amp.                     Not sure about the Sophia tubes. Thanks. Meechy

Ictwoody

« Reply #88 on: 6 Jan 2017, 04:04 pm »
So what can be expected when going from the Sovtek rectifier to an NOS Mullard Blackburn GZ34? I have a Mullard BB en route to me soon and I was wondering what to expect?

- Woody

Meechy

« Reply #89 on: 7 Jan 2017, 08:42 pm »
I have not listened to a Mullard tube so I can't give you an answer. Some people think that rectifier tubes don't make much of a difference in sound quality. I think there is but I have not heard a Mullard sorry.

Ictwoody

« Reply #90 on: 7 Jan 2017, 09:31 pm »
I have not listened to a Mullard tube so I can't give you an answer. Some people think that rectifier tubes don't make much of a difference in sound quality. I think there is but I have not heard a Mullard sorry.

Thanks. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

ALL of the old Mullard GZ34's are great. I wouldn't get hung up on the Metal, fat, this or that.... They are all equally excellent to my ears.

Curious if @Paul79 would want to expound on this.

- Woody