KLH 9 Speakers

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
KLH 9 Speakers
« on: 29 Dec 2016, 07:26 am »
A lovely afternoon spent with my good friend David Janszen, son of Arthur - KLH 9 fame. David is following in his father's footsteps and making electrostatic speakers of his own but today he let me in on a little surprise. He is modifying a number of existing KLH 9's to be made available for sale. I was there today to see them in person and listen to them as well. If interested and you want to know more you can reach David (Janszen) directly via email: djanszen at janszenloudspeaker.com. I am including pictures. It was indeed a fun afternoon at the end of which David let me in on another project of his which I dubbed one point two speakers. He can explain it better than I. Below are the KLH 9's

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: KLH 9 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2016, 10:19 am »
Wow very historical speaker congratulations :thumb:
How it sounds?

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2016, 01:40 pm »
The KLH 9's sounded natural and current. I was amazed to be believe these speakers designed in 1957 and made public in 1960 pre-date me. I will turn 53 this February and to be honest I would have thought that today's speakers would have to sound exponentially better, and that is just not the case.

Hearing and physically touching them was for a way of connecting to a piece of history: Hi-FI Americana. It made me want to connect a turntable and play any number of Mercury Living Presence RCA Living Stereo recordings. So many of those recording featured American composers and symphonies of the time.

As I mentioned in my post, if you are at all interested, David Janszen has a limited number of KLH 9s to which minor modifications are being made for today's residential use. His email is in the original post, and you can contact him directly.

johzel

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2016, 01:56 pm »
As I mentioned in my post, if you are at all interested, David Janszen has a limited number of KLH 9s to which minor modifications are being made for today's residential use. His email is in the original post, and you can contact him directly.

Any ballpark idea as to what kind of money he'll be charging for these??

johzel

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2016, 02:20 pm »
Any ballpark idea as to what kind of money he'll be charging for these??

$7950 plus shipping.

http://www.janszenaudio.com/klh-nine-refurbishment-upgrade