Password to a Folder

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Password to a Folder
« on: 28 Aug 2016, 11:18 am »
Hi,
Would like to any guidance to place a password to protec folders in W10Pro even for me acess(admin).
I fail to find anything in Properties/Security/Edit or in Advanced Security Settings.
I used this procedure below but I dont know if it works, as it dont ask me passowrd, Iam the only user in this PC.
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/password-protect-folder-windows-10

srb

Re: Password to a Folder
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:10 pm »
It's not really password protected security.  It's just a batch file that renames the folder to a cryptic system name and hides it.  The "password" just lets the batch file unhide it and rename it back to the original name.

Anyone can simply enable View > Hidden items, see it and open it.

Steve

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2016, 08:33 pm »
You can use the free 7zip program to password protect just one folder.
But if you loose the password the folder is locked forever.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2016, 01:55 am »

More like you lose the folder until the password cracker program runs long enough to remind you of what it was

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2016, 04:23 am »
Believe it or not but I have no idea what any of my passwords are - except one - the unique 13 character password to open KeePass.
I generate a 10-20 character random password for every site, bank, institution that needs a password then copy and paste from KeePass.
The password protected KeePass .kdbx file is backed up in 3 locations.

Take a 10 character random password with:
1 Uppercase 7 lowercase 1 symbol 1 number
There would be 60,510,648,114,517,017,120 passwords. Assuming your setup are capable of one hundred billion guesses per second, it would take 19.24 years to exhaust all the possible combinations.
If you, however, decide to invest in a dedicated password cracking device, like a 25 GPU cluster that can achieve up to 350 billion guesses per second, you can do it in 5.49 years

Test your password:
https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2016, 10:56 am »
It's not really password protected security.  It's just a batch file that renames the folder to a cryptic system name and hides it.  The "password" just lets the batch file unhide it and rename it back to the original name.

Anyone can simply enable View > Hidden items, see it and open it.

Steve
Oh well, thanks for inform.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2016, 11:01 am »
Believe it or not but I have no idea what any of my passwords are - except one - the unique 13 character password to open KeePass.
I generate a 10-20 character random password for every site, bank, institution that needs a password then copy and paste from KeePass.
The password protected KeePass .kdbx file is backed up in 3 locations.

Take a 10 character random password with:
1 Uppercase 7 lowercase 1 symbol 1 number
There would be 60,510,648,114,517,017,120 passwords. Assuming your setup are capable of one hundred billion guesses per second, it would take 19.24 years to exhaust all the possible combinations.
If you, however, decide to invest in a dedicated password cracking device, like a 25 GPU cluster that can achieve up to 350 billion guesses per second, you can do it in 5.49 years

Test your password:
https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm
Must be other way more practical to broke passwords, afew months ago my email associated to AC profile was hacked, the password had 20 characters.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2016, 11:03 am »

Thanks seems a good app I may try it.

steve in jersey

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2016, 01:14 pm »
If you are concerned about Windows 10 putting folders where you hadn't intended them to go, make sure you clear all the folders out of your "Quick Access" area before you do anything on your Computer every day!

When I open up my file explorer to find where I want to do work onsomething the first thing I see is what may be "sitting" in "Quick Access". I take note of what it is & if I'm not exactly sure where I was working on the file or folder I'll simply right click my touch pad to bring up a task list of what I want to do with whatever I've highlighted . If I'm undecided , I'll simply click "Remove from Quick Access".

I then have the choice to open various areas I was last working to find out if there is anything I need to do with this folder or not (& most of the time this is just Windows10 leaving you a history of what you were working on). If there is anything I'd like to suggest here it's to simply be aware of where things are on your PC & take control of where you want them to be.

Windows 10 has been pretty cooperative for me with what I want to do, but I try not to let it do things the way it wants to if it doesn't coincide with what I'm trying to
accomplish. I will gladly waste keystrokes finding alternatives to the processing W10 may offer me if they're not what works for me.

I hope this helps ,but if it's not what you were talking about then "Nevermind" & have a Great Day !

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2016, 05:10 pm »
Must be other way more practical to broke passwords, afew months ago my email associated to AC profile was hacked, the password had 20 characters.
Email passwords are some of the easiest to crack.
In many cases your email name and password is sent "plain text" when you log in to your email.

Never use your email + password combo anywhere else
EVER!

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2016, 05:12 pm »