BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #140 on: 12 Aug 2012, 04:04 pm »
No news yet for a stable version,please?

Hi - yes the new version of the software has been released in production - email Mike and he will forward it.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

terrycym

« Reply #141 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:21 pm »
Hi - yes the new version of the software has been released in production - email Mike and he will forward it.
mpickett@bryston.com
james
email sent.

James, all my other devices, (Popcorn Hour, Freeview & Freesat boxes and TV) check automatically for updates and update automatically if you select "Yes".
Can't the BD-1 do the same?
Most of my software does the same, Photoshop, Office, Windows etc etc etc.
Just a thought to make it a damn sight more convient for you customers?
Just a thought

terrycym

« Reply #142 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:39 am »
email sent.

James, all my other devices, (Popcorn Hour, Freeview & Freesat boxes and TV) check automatically for updates and update automatically if you select "Yes".
Can't the BD-1 do the same?
Most of my software does the same, Photoshop, Office, Windows etc etc etc.
Just a thought to make it a damn sight more convient for you customers?
Just a thought

No comments??????
If Bryston can modify the firmware to contact a time server to set the time, checking updates should't be beyond scope?

BTW, I sent an email last weekend asking for the latest firmware and I'm yet to receive a reply :(

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #143 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:44 am »
Hi Terry

Mike has been away so send me the email and I will forward the new software
jamestanner@bryston.com

James

terrycym

« Reply #144 on: 15 Aug 2012, 09:07 am »
Hi Terry

Mike has been away so send me the email and I will forward the new software
jamestanner@bryston.com

James

Thanks James, I'll send it when I get back home.
Any comments on the BDP-1 automatically detecting when new updates are availanle?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #145 on: 15 Aug 2012, 12:22 pm »
Thanks James, I'll send it when I get back home.
Any comments on the BDP-1 automatically detecting when new updates are availanle?

We are looking at how best to offer it with some security.

James

terrycym

« Reply #146 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:22 pm »
That would be much appreciated, well done!

BrysTony

« Reply #147 on: 15 Aug 2012, 10:23 pm »
I have upgraded my software but am not having any luck in getting the BDP-1 to "see" my NAS (Apple Time Capsule).  Under NAS setup it shows the time capsule and when I click on it it populates the screen with everything but userid and password.  I have tried several things but cannot get past the next screen where it asks for share name.  Can anyone help?

Tony

Marius

« Reply #148 on: 16 Aug 2012, 06:14 am »
Hi Tony,

Do u see multiple instances of the TC? If so, check for the correct IP address. In my setup there are several TC's, and I have only 1 ;-)
Also, if you have an hdd attached to the TC, you will see, once you get there, both the TC and the Hdd as options for your share. So if you want both the TC and the hdd to be seen as share by the BDP1, you select those by selecting the same TC in the initial page on NAs-settings.

Hope this helps.
Marius

I have upgraded my software but am not having any luck in getting the BDP-1 to "see" my NAS (Apple Time Capsule).  Under NAS setup it shows the time capsule and when I click on it it populates the screen with everything but userid and password.  I have tried several things but cannot get past the next screen where it asks for share name.  Can anyone help?

Tony

mpv

« Reply #149 on: 17 Aug 2012, 02:04 pm »
James,I emailed but unfortunate I did not received anything from Mike.I also see on BDP page is still listed the old firmware since May. Could you help? Maybe is not ready yet a stable version.
Thanks and keep up the good work!

mpickett@bryston.com

james

Ren

« Reply #150 on: 17 Aug 2012, 05:19 pm »
Sorry if this is off-topic, but I haven't seen this discussed elsewhere. 

I have a wireless home network which includes a NAS drive connected to the wired / wireless router via a short network cable.  With the new NAS support feature in the BDP-1, could I possibly access and play FLAC files stored on the NAS via a wireless network bridge like a Linksys WET610N Dual-Band N Bridge?

Doing so would allow me to rip and wirelessly transfer music files to the NAS (as I now do), then play them with the BDP-1 from another room without phaysically bringing the drive into my listening room.

Or is there another way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Steven

srb

« Reply #151 on: 17 Aug 2012, 05:35 pm »
Yes.  Whether you use wired Ethernet, a powerline network adapter or a wireless bridge/network adapter, it all fuctions the same.  Using the wireless network bridge successfully will depend upon the wireless signal strength between your router and the BDP-1 location.

Steve

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #152 on: 17 Aug 2012, 08:33 pm »

No comments??????
If Bryston can modify the firmware to contact a time server to set the time, checking updates should't be beyond scope?

BTW, I sent an email last weekend asking for the latest firmware and I'm yet to receive a reply :(

Hi Terry,

Sorry for the delay'd response, James has been keeping me super busy these last couple of weeks.  Yes the auto update checker feature for the bdp-1 is being worked on and will be available in our next update (due end of summer/early fall).  If you still havn't recieved the firmware update please feel free to email crice@bryston.com

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #153 on: 17 Aug 2012, 08:35 pm »
Hi Tony,

Do u see multiple instances of the TC? If so, check for the correct IP address. In my setup there are several TC's, and I have only 1 ;-)
Also, if you have an hdd attached to the TC, you will see, once you get there, both the TC and the Hdd as options for your share. So if you want both the TC and the hdd to be seen as share by the BDP1, you select those by selecting the same TC in the initial page on NAs-settings.

Hope this helps.
Marius

Hi Guys,

It is a good idea to double check the settings when selecting them; however because the bdp checks both nebios and bonjour entries you may get doubles or even triple entries.

Cheers
Chris

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #154 on: 21 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm »
Hi Terry,

Sorry for the delay'd response, James has been keeping me super busy these last couple of weeks.  Yes the auto update checker feature for the bdp-1 is being worked on and will be available in our next update (due end of summer/early fall).  If you still havn't recieved the firmware update please feel free to email crice@bryston.com

Chris, could you please clarify this new update checker function. Will it allow BDP-1 users merely to see if there is a new firmware version, or will it also allow users to update to the new firmware version over the BDP-1?

When it was still supported, the Roku SoundBridge digital player allowed users to check and update right from the unit itself.

So, it has always seemed to me that this is the logical, and frankly, most user-friendly way for updates to be handled. While I love my BDP-1, which has become the heart of my whole audio system, the clunky way of updating by asking for someone at Bryston to send the update package via email has always seemed to me to be extremely retro. To use an analogy in terms of modern internet users, it is close to using email with the recipient having to reply via snail mail.

So, it seems to me the ideal - from the users point of view - is to be able to have the BDP-1 itself install updates rather than having to do it through a computer download.

The next best thing would be to be able the check for the availability of the update, and then go to the Bryston website and download from there.

The third, and IMO, the smallest and not much better step, would be to be able to check for the availability of new firmware via the BDP-1, but still have to email someone at Bryston asking for an email reply with the update package attached.

Can you identify, please, which of these three approaches will be used in the next upgrade?

Dave

jjc1

« Reply #155 on: 21 Aug 2012, 04:28 pm »
   Chris, is there a new upgrade for the BDP1? What is the latest date ? Starting to get pretty confused.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #156 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:04 am »
Hi all,

In our next release we will have on the bdp's home page a message indicating to the user that a new update has been made available.  This same message will also present the user with two options, to display a list of changes and a button to allow the user to install the new firmware.  This was the original plan, however the higher ups were hesitant to allow this as they thought it might cause headaches down the road.  Software, it's never perfect; otherwise I'd probobly wouldn't have a full time job at Bryston.  They just recently about a month ago Have given me the go ahead to reimpose meant the original update method that had never shipped with the bdp, but was originally intended.

Cheers,
Chris

Btw, the latest official shipping firmware is s1.48

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #157 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:32 am »
Hi all,

In our next release we will have on the bdp's home page a message indicating to the user that a new update has been made available.  This same message will also present the user with two options, to display a list of changes and a button to allow the user to install the new firmware.  This was the original plan, however the higher ups were hesitant to allow this as they thought it might cause headaches down the road.  Software, it's never perfect; otherwise I'd probobly wouldn't have a full time job at Bryston.  They just recently about a month ago Have given me the go ahead to reimpose meant the original update method that had never shipped with the bdp, but was originally intended.

Cheers,
Chris

Btw, the latest official shipping firmware is s1.48

Thanks, Chris. This is a much better method than the present one, which I wish we had had all along. The other option I had in mind, downloading from the BDP-1 itself, probably wouldn't be better. On reflection it dawns on me it would mean using the control buttons on the BDP-1 itself, which I find to be the greatest weakness in a superb device. I find them to be almost entirely user unfriendly. Therefore, updating through the Brsyton Max homepage is best option available, and it will be a significant improvement.

Dave

Marius

« Reply #158 on: 23 Aug 2012, 08:18 am »
Hi Chris,

to get back on the topic of NAS connectivity: I'm using a D-Link 855 router. A usb port is available, but to be able to use it D-Link Shareport utility must be installed. Does the BDP1 support this?

ftp://ftp.dlink.se/Products/dir-products/dir-855/Documentation/SharePort_USB_Utility.pdf

Never used it before, but it seems to shortest way to a central external storage for the network.

Thanks,
Marius

Music Matters

« Reply #159 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:37 am »
I have been meaning to post this for several weeks. Time flies when you're having fun with the BDP-1. I wanted to comment on Post #125 (above) posted by James from Mr. Kevin Crowley regarding the excellent customer service from Bryston, Ltd. I have had my BDP-1 for about 10 months now. I had some minor configuration and connectivity issues originally - not due to problems with the BDP-1- but due to my lack of knowledge of getting a device such as the BDP-1 up on a home network. Mr. James Tanner was excellent with his assistance to me and with the patience he showed. I did have things running in a short time with his assistance.

I am thorughly satisfied with the BDP-1. It is the best piece of audio hardware that I have, and it continues to amaze me how fine it sounds - so much better than playing CDs on the fly - and how well the mPad works as my GUI. Furthermore, James and Chris are always receptive to feedback from users and have provided a number of user friendly updates, including the most recent being NAS connectivity. I am an absolutely satisfied customer and again continue to be thrilled with the sound quality and the overall user friendliness of the BDP-1. Way to go, Bryston!! THANK YOU!!!!!!