Banana Plugs vs. Spade Lugs?

srb

Re: Banana Plugs vs. Spade Lugs?
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jul 2016, 06:44 pm »
If anyone here is familiar with Phoenix connectors, they have a pressure plate below and above the stranded wires, and a set-screw pushes down on the top pressure plate, squeezing the wires between the 2 plates.

That's the key to a better screw connection rather than relying on the screw itself to apply pressure to the wire, as in some connector designs.  As DaveC113 suggested, a thread-locking compound is probably a good idea regardless of the design.

Perhaps some day, the audio industry will pull its proverbial head out if its a$$ and realize that there are a bunch of connectors in use today that simply aren't very good.

I'm surprised that the RCA connector has prevailed in consumer audio electronics for 70+ years, although the locking RCA variant has addressed the biggest problem, an ill-fitting ground shell.

Steve

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #41 on: 11 Jul 2016, 07:47 pm »
I just wish we'd move onto Speakon already...

srb

« Reply #42 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:08 pm »
I just wish we'd move onto Speakon already...

I'm sure if the consumer audio industry did it wouldn't take WBT and Furutech too long to offer $100 a pop versions!

Steve

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #43 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:29 pm »
I'd quite like to see that actually.

I've worked with speakon gear in pro audio for a while now, and it's really so much better than dealing with bananas/spades/pins/bare wires. No chance of shorting, you can plug in blind simply by feel, no accidental pulls, etc. It's so nice being able to bi-amp a speaker with a single twist-lock plug.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 11 Jul 2016, 09:01 pm »
I'm sure if the consumer audio industry did it wouldn't take WBT and Furutech too long to offer $100 a pop versions!

Steve

I know that's sarcastic but that would be excellent! I'd guess there may be some patent issues though... I've used them in the past from outboard xo to speaker instead of installing 6 binding posts on the speakers.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jul 2016, 09:10 pm »
Hi Wayner, I like the Phoenix Gold cables the best. They are cheap, gold plated, and the plug part, where the wire meets the jack is completely sealed in the plastic vinyl for ever so theres never a loose wire question. I have a pair used for a passive preamp only 6 inches long. Maybe a record short length for cables on the market.
   Probably the authority on banana jacks would be Sarah. She's the telephone operator on the old Andy Griffith Show. If you ever heard( there must be a bad connection) from someone pre-cell phone days, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it was a bad banana.......Mark Korda

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #46 on: 11 Jul 2016, 09:17 pm »
Hi DaveC and Big Red, thanks for the good words......Mark K.

Pundamilia

« Reply #47 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:29 pm »
I'm surprised that the RCA connector has prevailed in consumer audio electronics for 70+ years, although the locking RCA variant has addressed the biggest problem, an ill-fitting ground shell.

@srb

I have to agree with you. I am amazed that the crappy RCA connector has prevailed as long as it has, with so many other alternatives around.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #48 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:52 pm »
Sounds like you might have Chinese manufactured BFAs (?), as I haven't found that to be a problem yet with my Swiss and German ones, at least over the last 6 to 9 years.

Steve
No idea where they're made, but I bought them from a UK seller.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #49 on: 12 Jul 2016, 02:43 am »
@srb

I have to agree with you. I am amazed that the crappy RCA connector has prevailed as long as it has, with so many other alternatives around.

I've dabbled with bnc and like it so far, but im not a fan of crimping the pins or collars/sleeves.  Im just not good at it.

JohnR

« Reply #50 on: 12 Jul 2016, 12:02 pm »
I know that's sarcastic but that would be excellent! I'd guess there may be some patent issues though...

I don't know if they are patent protected but there are manufacturers other than Neutrik that offer them (although they are not always called "Speakon"). Off the top of my head, EWI, Switchcraft, Amphenol.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #51 on: 8 Aug 2016, 10:28 pm »
Hey Folks  :thumb:

I see all these different connectors as various ways to increase or decrease impedance against the amp out puts that in turn really changes the sound, image  Etc.

RUBY

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2019, 10:09 am by GRACE RUBY »

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 8 Aug 2016, 11:16 pm »
Hey Folks  :thumb:

I see all these different connectors as various ways to increase or decrease impedance against the amp out puts that in turn really changes the sound, image  Etc.

RUBY

According to ohm's law you are partly right, however if you adjust the vol/gain of the amp any loss of power by the connector/cable will be increased/compensated again by amp power ,what we are talking here is negligible effects on the sound,please note ((Rcon/Rspk) x 100%) = R_loss_con%

cheers  :green:

bummrush

« Reply #53 on: 9 Aug 2016, 01:28 am »
Bananas

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #54 on: 9 Aug 2016, 04:41 am »
According to ohm's law you are partly right, however if you adjust the vol/gain of the amp any loss of power by the connector/cable will be increased/compensated again by amp power ,what we are talking here is negligible effects on the sound,please note ((Rcon/Rspk) x 100%) = R_loss_con%

cheers  :green:

Hi Mr. G

Numbers are great, but some Jeff Rowland amps almost just break 16k and no ones complaining.

Ruby       
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2019, 10:07 am by GRACE RUBY »