Hello from Pasadena, CA

mattking52

Hello from Pasadena, CA
« on: 25 Feb 2018, 09:19 pm »
Hi there,

Long-time lurker on the forum, but decided it was time to get more involved!

Main system:
JBL 4344 Speakers (for which I'm currently spinning up the design of a pair of bespoke, high-end external crossovers)
Conrad-Johnson Premier 11A Power Amp
Schiit Freya Preamplifier (AWESOME piece of gear for an insanely low price)
Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC
Linn LP-12 turntable with Ittok LVII arm and Denon DL-110 cartridge, feeding into a Schiit Mani Phono Stage
Thorens TD-125 mkI with SME M2-9 arm and Dynavector Karat 17D3 cart --> Dynavector SUP-200 step-up xfmr --> Dynavector P75 mkII phono stage (turntable currently down for service and a new custom solid hardwood plinth)

And for those late-night listening sessions, a Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amplifier powering Audeze LCD-3 planar magnetic headphones.

I'm an electrical design engineer in my day job, and am planning a few fun DIY projects in the near future, so looking forward to continuing to use this forum as a great resource!  I also restore vintage gear in my spare time, and love to study and learn from well-built amps from the past.

Glad to be a part of this forum, and look forward to interacting with many of you!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Pasadena, CA
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2018, 09:47 pm »
Welcome Mattking52 :thumb:

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2018, 10:04 pm »
I could be interested in a restoration/rebuild of a SS amp from the 1970s that I have. PM me once you achieve the requisite number of posts.

mattking52

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2018, 10:21 pm »
I could be interested in a restoration/rebuild of a SS amp from the 1970s that I have. PM me once you achieve the requisite number of posts.

Sounds good!  By the way, what *is* the requisite number of posts... anyone know?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2018, 10:24 pm »
Sounds good!  By the way, what *is* the requisite number of posts... anyone know?

More than two.  :wink:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2018, 01:33 am »
Welcome!

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2018, 01:56 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, Mattking52.  Would love to wrap my ears around the 4344's post XO upgrade.  Nice gear list!  CJ tubes driving those JBL's must be a little slice of heaven.

mattking52

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2018, 02:00 am »
More than two.  :wink:

Haha!  Well three might be the magic number, because I'm now at 5 and I seem to have more privileges!  :D

mattking52

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2018, 02:01 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, Mattking52.  Would love to wrap my ears around the 4344's post XO upgrade.  Nice gear list!  CJ tubes driving those JBL's must be a little slice of heaven.

Thanks, Jake!  I'll be sure to do a thread on the crossovers when they are done...  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2018, 02:15 am »
That would be awesome!  Now you have to decide, the Enclosures Circle or The Lab, both are appropriate, when you are ready.  And looking forward to it!  Are you going to rebuild the stock xo ala DIY with high grade parts or are you having some built with possible tweaks to current freq points and slopes?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2018, 09:28 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC mattking52   :thumb:

mattking52

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2018, 12:30 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC mattking52   :thumb:

Thanks!  Love your user name... one of my all-time favorite series of novels!

mattking52

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2018, 12:50 am »
That would be awesome!  Now you have to decide, the Enclosures Circle or The Lab, both are appropriate, when you are ready.  And looking forward to it!  Are you going to rebuild the stock xo ala DIY with high grade parts or are you having some built with possible tweaks to current freq points and slopes?

Good to know!  I will definitely post in one of those when the time comes...

These will be passive units in an external enclosure, and will have equivalent crossover points to the stock crossover, but I'm using an alternate circuit topology to allow air-core inductors to be used in place of the tapped autoformers that existed in the stock units (this is discussed in detail elsewhere on the web).  I will be designing the boxes to still have the hooks for bi-amplification, but without the selector switch that the stock units had (I bypassed this in my current crossovers, and was surprised at how much insertion loss and loss of damping control it was creating in the woofer!).  I've been in discussion with Jeff G. over at Sonic Craft on capacitor selection... should be a fun project!
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2018, 06:40 am by mattking52 »

JakeJ

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2018, 04:27 am »
Excellent plan and something I would like to do with my PMC EB1i.  The stock crossover has lower grade parts but I have no intention of messing with points or slopes, just better parts.  I'm also toying with the idea of using a DSP crossover that also performs some room correction.  Anyways that's what's cookin' on the back burner.

mattking52

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2018, 06:42 am »
Excellent plan and something I would like to do with my PMC EB1i.  The stock crossover has lower grade parts but I have no intention of messing with points or slopes, just better parts.  I'm also toying with the idea of using a DSP crossover that also performs some room correction.  Anyways that's what's cookin' on the back burner.

Sounds like you and I need to talk via PM!  Curious to hear more about your planned DSP implementation...