headphone amp

parr3n1

headphone amp
« on: 24 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm »
I am exploring the idea of headphones with my main system.
Source is TT, with a mm phono preamp. I am assuming there
is a headphone amp that I can connect my source to. Preamp
is tube, in fact my whole system is tube however I am open to
all suggestions for an amp. Currently I have a pair of Grado SR80
headphones. What do I need to know about this move?

Thanks
Richard

cujobob

Re: headphone amp
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2013, 01:55 am »
I don't believe those headphones would sound much better with an amp, but I could certainly be wrong. A decent headphone amp will run you more than those headphones cost, either way. With that being said, my understanding is that the O2 Amp (made by several companies) and the Aune T1 are the best buys under $200 for headphone amps. Also, the Schitt Modi (or is it Magni? I get them confused)

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:06 am »
I am exploring the idea of headphones with my main system.
Source is TT, with a mm phono preamp. I am assuming there
is a headphone amp that I can connect my source to. Preamp
is tube, in fact my whole system is tube however I am open to
all suggestions for an amp. Currently I have a pair of Grado SR80
headphones. What do I need to know about this move?

Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard,headphone amps are no different to any other audio amplifier,so if you have any knowledge of audio amplifiers you can base it in your consideration for a headphone amp.

cheers  :green:

Haoleb

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2013, 03:50 am »
If you are looking at getting a headphone amp simply as a means to connect your headphones to your system you might want to just consider something like a DIY route, There are plenty of designs out there that are pretty easy to make. The Grado RA-1 for example is nothing more than a JRC 4556 Opamp and a couple passive components that are easy to slap together, I have built a few of them myself. The SR80 are such easy to drive headphones that, In my opinion you really do not need a headphone amplifier unless you just need it as a means of making the connection. If you ever wanted to get into DIY, a headphone amp is an excellent place to start because they are pretty easy, and you would be hard pressed to screw it up, or kill yourself with electricity.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:36 am »
I don't believe those headphones would sound much better with an amp, but I could certainly be wrong. A decent headphone amp will run you more than those headphones cost, either way. With that being said, my understanding is that the O2 Amp (made by several companies) and the Aune T1 are the best buys under $200 for headphone amps. Also, the Schitt Modi (or is it Magni? I get them confused)
+1 on the O2 (and cujobob & Haoleb's comments.) Have listened to a borrowed O2 at length thru Sennheiser, AKG, and Beyer 'phones and not only is the sound great but it is one of the quietest audio devices of any type I have ever encountered. (Waiting on delivery of mine right now in fact.) It can be kit-built for less than $100 if you want to go cheap-n-cheerful and/or have the urge to solder, for $120-150 already built, or add about $100 more with built-in USB DAC. I don't think you can do much better, certainly not without spending substantially more.

OP didn't give a lot of specifics on his system other than it is all tube, separates. Most such setups I have seen don't even have a place to hook up headphones in which case an amp is a given. While the Grado phones have an easy-to-drive reputation, impedance matching, drive current and other issues may point towards an amp even if an output is provided in this setup. The O2 is dirt cheap by modern "deep-end" standards and could be hooked up to a tape out etc.

If the O2 costing a little more than the cans themselves bothers you, consider a fiio E5 battery powered amp. $20 from Amazon and surprisingly good sound, all the more so considering its price. The o2 many make sense though. After all, you may want to upgrade to SR325s or something at some point; who knows!

parr3n1

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:59 am »
Thanks to all for the replies. My system is analog only. I have a Doge 8 which I use as a line stage with my Music Reference RM4+ phono preamp. The amp is a Music Reference RM9 mkll. I have a second tt that will be dedicated to phones via a phono pre. I am assuming that I can do that or do I need a linestage?
Currently I am using the SR 80's with an old Marantz 2220 and a cd player. Thanks

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2013, 12:04 pm »
A phono pre should provide a line level signal suitable for any headphone amp.

gjclaxton@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2013, 11:59 pm »
Thanks to all for the replies. My system is analog only. I have a Doge 8 which I use as a line stage with my Music Reference RM4+ phono preamp. The amp is a Music Reference RM9 mkll. I have a second tt that will be dedicated to phones via a phono pre. I am assuming that I can do that or do I need a linestage?
Currently I am using the SR 80's with an old Marantz 2220 and a cd player. Thanks

Not sure how you are set up, by your line stage I think has two outputs.  For a while I used my pre with one set of outputs to amp for speakers and another set to amp for headphones.  Just turn on the amp you want to use.  Does not work of course if the set ups are in different rooms

parr3n1

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2013, 01:09 am »
gjclaxton, what a great idea, thanks.
By the way I noticed that the o2 amp
only has a single phono connection, so
I assume I have to use a mickey mouse
interconnect?? I guess that would be ok
to get started on a budget but not my
1st choice. Any suggestions? thanks

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2013, 12:27 pm »
If you consider an RCA to 1/8" TRS cable "mickey mouse", then yes, unless you buy the "desktop" version from Mayflower Electronics which has rear panel RCA inputs.

The designer (nom de plume "NwAvGuy") was working on a desktop only version before he abruptly disappeared off the face of the earth shortly after releasing the companion DAC. His blog makes an informative read before an amp purchase.

If sound is your primary consideration the O2 "punches above its weight". I would rather use an A-B RCA switch rather than leave the preamp driving two amp inputs in parallel all the time but that's my preference.

parr3n1

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2013, 01:48 pm »
db, thanks for the info. I guess I spoke out of ignorance about the cable, however
I think I still prefer the desktop model. I read the blog at least part of it, the measurements
are over my head. I am going to purchase one of these o2's and for now use my grado sr80's.
I am going to the rmaf show this year and hopefully I will be able to listen to headphones.
Anyway thanks for taking the time to inform me of these options.

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2013, 08:06 pm »
If Woo Audio is going to be at RMAF, check them out, they had a boatload of headphones in their room at CAF last year.

gpiku

« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2013, 03:41 pm »
Try Aune t1. Its a great amp when used wiyh a good tube . there is a thread on rillable tubes in head- fi.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2013, 01:13 am »
I went thru many amps with many sets of headphones, did the tube rolling stuff etc..after a year or so I sold all the stuff except 2 O2 amps and 2 ODACs.

After A/B'ing etc...with many sources etc I determined that this amp and dac are really excellent with most headphones.

The O2 amp is very transparent, straight wire with gain, a very low output impedance...works well with 95% of the headphones out there.

Your Grados will easily be driven.

I have a set of Gradon 325is and they sound great with this combination.

You can run the O2 in ac power or batteries....it uses and ac to ac adapter. So you can use "pure" DC for a power source.

The price if it has dropped down to $129 at JDS Labs...a really great buy.

Good luck with your headphones!!

Alex