TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps

KR500

Re: TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps
« Reply #1300 on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:48 pm »
Recently finished Tygers' mods to the Audio Source Amp 100 and have just moved to the Sure 3110 board to upgrade the 8 caps.
The Sure is SO much smaller in scale compared to working on the audio source . Bare minimum of through hole, solder etc.
I got the OEM caps out and will solder in the new Oscon caps keeping them 2mm off the board as recommended.
I picked up a Radio Shack 13 volt 3 amp power supply at the going out of business sale and will try using that as power source to compare with the brick I got.

lacro

« Reply #1301 on: 28 Apr 2015, 08:04 pm »
Recently finished Tygers' mods to the Audio Source Amp 100 and have just moved to the Sure 3110 board to upgrade the 8 caps.
The Sure is SO much smaller in scale compared to working on the audio source . Bare minimum of through hole, solder etc.
I got the OEM caps out and will solder in the new Oscon caps keeping them 2mm off the board as recommended.
I picked up a Radio Shack 13 volt 3 amp power supply at the going out of business sale and will try using that as power source to compare with the brick I got.

I hope you like the Sure 3110/Oscon mod as much as I do. It's still my favorite....

KR500

« Reply #1302 on: 29 Apr 2015, 02:11 pm »
Hooked up the Sure board after upgrading the caps .
Using my Little Dot Preamp knocks the amp out on overload right away
Using a Sony 520 Minidisc deck with VDAC results in rapid stuttering signal
Going back to a Sony Minidisc Walkman's headphone output jack... plays fine
So.... appears attenuation is needed for this board unless using a lower than line level source like ipod, MDWalkman,  or smartphone.
I'll try adding a volume potentiometer before the board input to see if that gets the issue of it being overdriven at the input controlled

Markvdv

« Reply #1303 on: 29 Apr 2015, 04:08 pm »
or play with pin 5 and 6; gainsetting

lacro

« Reply #1304 on: 29 Apr 2015, 08:20 pm »
Hooked up the Sure board after upgrading the caps .
Using my Little Dot Preamp knocks the amp out on overload right away
Using a Sony 520 Minidisc deck with VDAC results in rapid stuttering signal
Going back to a Sony Minidisc Walkman's headphone output jack... plays fine
So.... appears attenuation is needed for this board unless using a lower than line level source like ipod, MDWalkman,  or smartphone.
I'll try adding a volume potentiometer before the board input to see if that gets the issue of it being overdriven at the input controlled

I haven't had any problems with this amp being overdriven with any source, linelevel or othwerwise I have thrown at it, including a DVD player, old cassette deck, old  FM portable radio, PC streaming through a Schiit Modi DAC, Yaun Jing 3 tube preamp I have even used it as a power amp through the pre-outs from my Marantz receiver. I haven't needed attenuation for any source.

I have encountered that rapid stuttering you describe with a TPA 3116 that I had just modified. The only thing I found was a loose speaker connection on the board. After tightening, everything was fine. I know others have commented on this same stuttering which for the most part was something like a bad solder connection or maybe an incorrect cap polarity. I know you probably have it correct, but it's worth checking.

Hope you find the problem. Did it sound OK with the stock caps?

KR500

« Reply #1305 on: 30 Apr 2015, 12:09 am »
Thanks  for your information
I'll check the speaker terminal joints tomorrow

KR500

« Reply #1306 on: 30 Apr 2015, 09:36 pm »
Checked the speaker terminals and they're solid , all caps 2MM off the board and polarity is correct .
Thanks for posting the picture 'Cro as it was a good suggestion.
Switched the 4 ohm Amethysts to the 8 ohm Overnight Sensations and the stuttering is substantially less , but still there.
Switched the HP brick to a Radio Shack Linear 13.8 volt 3 AMP PSU and the intermittent shutoff/on is spread further apart , but still present .
If I go back to the lower level Minidisc Walkman headphone output there is music but as soon as I insert the deck level signal, problem returns.
This board has had this issue from the first day so I'm beginning to suspect there is a pre-existing condition. Frustrating.
Since my Audio Source amp 100 worked out so well with Tyger 23's mods I might just do another one of those and run them as L/R in bridged mode

Markvdv

« Reply #1307 on: 1 May 2015, 10:03 am »
I had stutter once with 3116 and signal generator (PC) when feeding frequencies 8k - 20k, high volumelevel, and with only one speakersystem, I mean same repeated sweep on same ampboard with other speaker, same level, no stutter. 3110 outputfilter has low filterfrequency, maybe the peaking gets excessive and the chip can't handle any signal near that frequency, that would make sense to me.

With 3110 I also had stutter once, just cd input, but that was caused by capacitor on avcc pin, that is in the middle on inputside 3110, I had bigger capacitor there when stutter occurred, with smaller capacitor no stutter same cd. The capacitor there was part of a filter too, so capacity in itself probably wasn't reason for stutter, I was playing with values, so didn't measure anything, just changed value.

The 3116 stutter was on a speakersystem that wasn't mine, so I also didn't find out why it happened exactly. BTW rapid popping repeatedly or rapid on/off switching repeatedly I experienced many times, but I wouldn't call that stutter, others may?

KR500

« Reply #1308 on: 1 May 2015, 11:25 am »
Thanks for your post  Mark .
The Sure 3110 issue I have is rapid on/off cycling
Since Lacro has fed various signal sources to his sure Sure 3110 with no problems I'm guessing my board has an issue.
This weekend I'm going to move everything up to my dormer stereo setup and try things there just to rule out any possible basement electrical circuit factors. Last option then I'm out of ideas

lacro

« Reply #1309 on: 1 May 2015, 01:04 pm »
Thanks for your post  Mark .
The Sure 3110 issue I have is rapid on/off cycling
Since Lacro has fed various signal sources to his sure Sure 3110 with no problems I'm guessing my board has an issue.
This weekend I'm going to move everything up to my dormer stereo setup and try things there just to rule out any possible basement electrical circuit factors. Last option then I'm out of ideas

When you move to your dormer set-up, maybe you could connect your speakers to the 4 large holes that are for speaker binding posts on the board instead of the screw-down speaker connections. Just another thing to try :scratch:
Have you contacted Sure for their input? Also, try asking about this issue over at DIY Audio Forum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp.html

KR500

« Reply #1310 on: 2 May 2015, 11:57 am »
Good suggestions, thanks for taking the time to chime in .
Used the larger speaker inputs but no change
e-mailed Sure and waiting for response.

KR500

« Reply #1311 on: 7 May 2015, 09:00 pm »
No response from Sure
Mark noted that the  Little Dot preamp is only supposed to be used with DC coupled amplifiers, so there in maybe the issue with this TPA3110  board.

Markvdv

« Reply #1312 on: 8 May 2015, 09:52 am »
No response from Sure
Mark noted that the  Little Dot preamp is only supposed to be used with DC coupled amplifiers, so there in maybe the issue with this TPA3110  board.
Quite the opposite, was mentioned in combination with Hafler, you really need blocking cap, that is what owner/user Little DotIII said, because at startup the tubeamp puts out 60V transients, the Hafler amp/speakers can survive that with blocking caps.

I wonder if any tpachip ampboard can, they do all have blockingcaps, but they could be very weak.

lostthumb

« Reply #1313 on: 8 May 2015, 06:44 pm »
I am getting interested in the TPA3116.

Has anyone tried these monoblocks from Sure?

http://store.sure-electronics.com/audio/audio-amplifier-board/aa-ab31184

Do they sound comparable to the 2 channels?

KR500

« Reply #1314 on: 4 Jul 2015, 04:29 pm »
An update to my 3110 issue , I had to take some time off for something but finally got around to installing a simple 50K audio pot from PE in a Hammond plastic box with some RCA connectors.
Using a Sony Mini Disc deck and some Overnight Sensation speakers and the 3110 board works fine. No on/off cycling

KR500

« Reply #1315 on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:50 pm »
Found that the old AR RCA interconnect I was using had an intermittent connection on one end ... so it's in the trash . I'm already making my own new IC's this week with supplies from Redco. Made a few last week deciding on connectors, techflex and shrink configurations to see which I liked best.
This morning I hooked up a Marantz CD player to the Sure boards powering some Overnight Sensation speakers to listen to.
I noticed the boards sound better with a Pyramid 13.8 power supply than using a laptop brick. I added a large cap  to the output of the Pyramid inside the case  per a recommendation at a user review of the unit on Amazon .The Pyramid was originally purchased to power a Musical Fidelity V-DAC  instead of the OEM wall wart.
I have the 3110 2X15 Sure Board , the 2X8 version and the Sure 7498 board . All three sound better with the Pyramid PSU than the brick.
Still getting some occasional on/off once in a while when turning the volume up past 2 o'clock with the Sure 3110 2X15 board .
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2015, 11:12 am by KR500 »

Trikster

« Reply #1316 on: 9 Jul 2015, 04:39 am »
Can you share more on what you did to the Pyramid power supply? I have a laptop brick I will be using first, but will move onto the Pyramid once I determine where everything is going to end up.

KR500

« Reply #1317 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:43 am »
The reviews and comments of the Pyramid 13.8 PSU at Amazon mention adding a large capacitor to the output terminals .  One reviewer added it on the outside of the case , another reviewer installed the cap on the output terminals inside the case and had a link to pictures. Unfortunately he took down the link to the mod, maybe for liability or safety concerns....  dunno .
Reviews on the Pyramid PSU are so-so, with noise being one of the complaints . A lot of people purchased these units to upgrade the Musical Fidelity V-DAC back when it came out  as a C+C upgrade

Odal3

« Reply #1318 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:48 am »
How is the pyramid psu compared to the Astron?

wushuliu

« Reply #1319 on: 9 Jul 2015, 01:08 pm »
FYI guys there is a new group buy for pre assembled monoblocks at diyaudio from member gmarsh. Fully modifiable with top notch parts. Not cheap but the feedback on his previous group buy is stellar. Maybe rhing will share his thoughts if he hasn't already. 100 per board but still c&c. There may be stereo boards for less but 8ohm only I think.

Bare boards also available for cheap. For the TPA enthusiast I don't think there's a better quality offering.