3U vs Hemptone Compact 8

squirrelman

3U vs Hemptone Compact 8
« on: 27 Mar 2015, 04:29 pm »
Has anyone listened to both the Super 3 / 3U with the RS5 speakers and the Hemptone Compact 8 and could share their experiences with how the sound of the two compare?  I currently have the Super 3 and love them, but have been intrigued by a pair of Hemptone Compact 8 and am curious what different there would be between the two.

If it matters I have a Dennis Had Inspire tube amp running them.  Thanks all.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: 3U vs Hemptone Compact 8
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2015, 05:08 pm »
Hi Squirrelman,

What driver is in your Super 3?  Fostex, Hemp, RS5?  Also need more details on your amp so we know what we are comparing.  Thanks.

squirrelman

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2015, 05:32 pm »
Sure I have the RS5 drivers in my Super 3 speakers.

My amp is made by Dennis Had after he retired from Cary. It's really a tube rollers dream (or their pockets nightmare). It runs a pair of 6V6/6L6/KT66/77/88/120/150 power tubes with a 6922 input tube and it can run with a few different rectifiers. It puts out (very conservative rating) 5-12 watts depending on the tubes and rectifier used. It's an amazing amp and I am loving it so far. I know I've seen at least one other person here posting who also owns one.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2015, 06:07 pm »
You say you're "sure" you have the RS5 driver.  Can you provide a picture?

If you have the RS5 driver in your Super 3 (must have been retrofitted) which is a BIG improvement over the previous two:

The RS5 will be more linear, faster, more transparent, and more friendly to a larger variety of amplifiers than the HempTone.

The HempTones will be more forward, more shouty (with some amps, but not all), but more dynamic and punchy.

Personally, I would put a good fast music sub with your Super 3.  With the deepOmega 12 you will likely never look back.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2015, 06:15 pm »
Sorry Squirrelman,

I wasn't paying attention.  If you have the 3U, no need for pics.  It has the RS5.

squirrelman

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2015, 08:20 pm »
Rob

I did go ahead and grab a picture of the label on the back for you at least.

I noticed in the "What's new at Omega" sticky thread that there are Super 8 speakers coming out soon, will the drivers for those be offered as an upgrade on the Hemptone Compact 8 like the RS5 were in the past?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2015, 11:54 pm »
Yes, the new 8" driver will be a drop in.