1.5 Outlaws

Rubbbq

1.5 Outlaws
« on: 29 Jul 2014, 05:16 pm »
I just want to preface this, I have never owned any Omega product and have very little experience with them. I read a lot of fan boy commentary (which after this review I will be a fan boy myself:) and that swayed me to drop a dime and call Louis.  I called Louis, liked the tone of his voice and decided to take a flyer… and I’m glad I did….

Just to save time, I took a few quotes that I sent to two different audio buddies of mine during the first 100 hours. Please forgive me for the poor grammar.

Buddy#1
Quick up date.... OH MAN, ME LIKE!......First of all, these are the nicest 1k-ish built speaker i have ever seen. The cabinets are beautiful, no Chinese crap, SOLID..USA USA ..lol... right out of the box they sound pretty good. I’ve been playing them for about 2 hours and you can hear them starting to sound much nicer. No worries about the highs, all there and at this point fairly nice and smooth. The mids is were they real excel...smooooth and balanced .Give them a hundred hours and i think they will really start to sound really good.... As you know, I have had 6 sets of speakers in here over the last 3-4 months and these are the only ones i would consider keeping and that's only after 2 hours.. these speakers need as dynamic of an amp as they can get. the Linn sounds very good but something with more slew rate/head room....

Buddy#2
I've never had a full range driver based speaker before but all i can say is WOW! Smooth and dynamic. Having No “traditional” tweeter scared me but it's all there and no fatigue. As you said .. the mid-range is very special, so much tone and timber. Instruments and voices sound right. No holes in driver integration. I only have about 15 hours on them so they need sometime to open up.  ...

Both Buddies
I wish you guys could hear these………………..

About 100 hours in they are starting to sound much better. Bass is better but not enough for  me. …But, then again,  they are only monitors and no design is perfect. What they lack in slam, they make up in all other categories.  I plan on adding 2 12” speed subs.

I Just listened to Jeff Beck Scatter brain, oh man do the speakers sound good.  Scatter brain is just that, it’s a very complicated piece with a ton of pace and lot going on. The speaker handled it beautifully.. DYNAMIC.. PACE... TONE.... TOUCH ...Emotion...

I guess you can tell I like these speakers. I also think they are a great value. This is one of the few components I have ever purchased that I felt I got my moneys worth… maybe more… Throw in a couple of subs and for right around 3k you would have an incredible full range system that would be VERY hard to beat at twice the price….Anywho,  Happy listening…

seikosha

Re: 1.5 Outlaws
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2014, 05:43 pm »
Sounds like you are having fun.  Something to consider...for me, the real magic in these speakers is their ability to be played with low watt SET/SEP amps.  While my Omegas sound really good with some solid state amps I've paired them with, the leap in quality I get when I go to the tubes is astounding.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.  I'm toying with the idea of trying out one of the 1.5 ways myself.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2014, 05:56 pm »
Cool, glad you like them.

I would agree with your assessment and I think adding the Speed 12s will make for an amazing system.  :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2014, 06:42 pm »
Rub,

That's not fair! It just isn't.  :nono:

After my chat with Rob on Saturday, I had decided that the Alnico Monitors (supported by subs--possibly speed 12s) were the speakers I would order (if Omega wins my search for new speakers). Now you come along and make me second guess my choice. Thanks!  :wink:

It sounds like you've found that happy place that I so crave. Congratulations!

Are these the open back 1.5 monitors? I see there are three models now: 1.5 open back, 1.5 way (monitor), and the 1.5 way tower.

Michael

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2014, 09:52 pm »
How about 1.5 Towers with dual alnico hemp cones?  (Seriously)

beowulf

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2014, 10:45 pm »
How about 1.5 Towers with dual alnico hemp cones?  (Seriously)

I would like to see that or even perhaps a 1.5 with the Hemp Alnico Driver combined with the Active Deep Omega 8 in  the same cabinet.  Maybe it could bring the cost down a little by using only one cabinet.

HPDJ

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2014, 06:47 am »
+1 for the above suggestion from Beowulf! I'm very intrigued by speakers with active bass, especially monitors (save space in an apartment)

Rubbbq

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:35 pm »
Still really enjoying the speakers. They continue to break in and improve

Seikosha, The next phase, I plan on doing some amp rolling. I hit the archive and I had forgotten that I had a 6L6 based tube amp. I put it in the system and it sounds very nice. I don't think it sounds better then the SS amp, just different. I have a few other amps to try. I think a First Watt is in the near future...

The subs will have to wait until after my wife and I relocate from New York to Colorado this fall. I think this addition will make the biggest improvement to the sound.

Michael, What are you waiting for? I would go with Robs suggestion, these guys really know their products. I have never heard the Alinco but it is the best driver in the line, so it probable sounds the best.

I spoke to Louis and the 1.5 with the Hemp Alnico Driver are in the future works. To speed up that process, all it would take is for someone to place the order.... I'm sure Louis would be more then happy to build some very lucky person a set
Happy listening

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2014, 08:14 pm »
Rub,

That's not fair! It just isn't.  :nono:

After my chat with Rob on Saturday, I had decided that the Alnico Monitors (supported by subs--possibly speed 12s) were the speakers I would order (if Omega wins my search for new speakers). Now you come along and make me second guess my choice. Thanks!  :wink:

It sounds like you've found that happy place that I so crave. Congratulations!

Are these the open back 1.5 monitors? I see there are three models now: 1.5 open back, 1.5 way (monitor), and the 1.5 way tower.

Michael
Michael,
I have the latest Alnico Monitor in my collection and will stick to my original recommendation.  The alnico driver is Louis' top driver and has been for years, and for good reason.  It's sound is rich, lush, colourful (not coloured), and refined.  It is capable of "sub need not apply" bottom end.  My speakers are not judged by me alone, but I have three other sets of ears at my disposal.  One commented they heard instruments they have never heard before on an often played recording. 

pstrisik

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2014, 09:59 pm »
So Rob,  Any sense of pricing for a 1.5 tower with hemp alnico drivers?  Level 3, of course!  And black base (really dresses them up).

Have you had a chance to directly compare RS7A's with the hemp alnicos in relatively equivalent cabs?  From past comments, I gather the hemp cone is more refined (I would interpret as detailed and textured).  Does it have more bass extension or bass volume than the 7A?

I'm guessing that the inductor might vary based on which driver is used.  If the alnicos generally have better bass, would the rolled off driver roll off at a lower frequency than 500?

I'm probably jumping the gun, but share what you know or can at this point.

Thxs.....

.......Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2014, 12:54 am »
So Rob,  Any sense of pricing for a 1.5 tower with hemp alnico drivers?  Level 3, of course!  And black base (really dresses them up).

Have you had a chance to directly compare RS7A's with the hemp alnicos in relatively equivalent cabs?  From past comments, I gather the hemp cone is more refined (I would interpret as detailed and textured).  Does it have more bass extension or bass volume than the 7A?

I'm guessing that the inductor might vary based on which driver is used.  If the alnicos generally have better bass, would the rolled off driver roll off at a lower frequency than 500?

I'm probably jumping the gun, but share what you know or can at this point.

Thxs.....

.......Peter
Hi Peter,
I haven't had a chance to compare the 7A and hemp Alnico.  As far as a 1.5 hemp Alnico speaker goes, I have no information to give at this time.

pstrisik

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2014, 04:27 pm »
Hi Peter,
I haven't had a chance to compare the 7A and hemp Alnico.  As far as a 1.5 hemp Alnico speaker goes, I have no information to give at this time.

Worth a shot!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2014, 06:10 pm »
Worth a shot!
Hello Peter,
Just talked to Louis about a 1.5 way using dual Alnico Hemps and he plans to build some, but when they will be done, he won't say. 

pstrisik

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2014, 06:26 pm »
Hello Peter,
Just talked to Louis about a 1.5 way using dual Alnico Hemps and he plans to build some, but when they will be done, he won't say.

Thanks Rob.  I'm mulling over the possibility of moving up in the Omega line and will talk with him.

......Peter

beowulf

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2014, 08:20 pm »
Hello Peter,

Would be interested in upgrading to something like this as well.  But I'm also sticking by my thoughts that an Alnico Hemp 6 with an Active deepOmega 8 in the same cabinet would kick some serious ass though!

pstrisik

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm »
Would be interested in upgrading to something like this as well.  But I'm also sticking by my thoughts that an Alnico Hemp 6 with an Active deepOmega 8 in the same cabinet would kick some serious ass though!

Different needs I guess.  I have dual Rythmik F12 subs that I'm quite happy with. 

Louis' 1.5 way design has a driver that augments frequencies up to 500hz while subs, including the deepOmega 8 will only extend up to ~150hz.

......Peter

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2014, 07:53 pm »
Hi Rubbbq,

Many thanks and great write up on the 1.5 way. Your speaker is the original that started the concept.
The whole idea was to get the ability to share the workload and with the double driver the speakers have the ability of reproducing much more complex material and more dynamics.

The design has kept me very busy in the shop with similar designs that hopefully come to life.

Thanks again,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2014, 07:57 pm »
Hi Peter,

6 alnico 1.5 way is on the table and thanks Rob for answering in your posts. I'm going to push the envelope with 1.5 ways and maybe larger Open Backs.

Things are getting pretty interesting here lately.

Sorry for the late posts as I have been trying to get the projects going.

Thanks again,
Louis

pstrisik

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2014, 08:21 pm »
Hi Peter,

6 alnico 1.5 way is on the table and thanks Rob for answering in your posts. I'm going to push the envelope with 1.5 ways and maybe larger Open Backs.

Things are getting pretty interesting here lately.

Sorry for the late posts as I have been trying to get the projects going.

Thanks again,
Louis

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the update.  No worries on infrequent posting.  Understand you are busy.  Rob has been doing a great job with some of the questions, etc.

I am very intrigued with the 1.5 concept and do plan to talk with you about the possibility for me.

....Peter

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2014, 08:29 pm »
Louis/Rob,

Just so you know, Peter isn't the only one intrigued by a 6" alnico 1.5 way possibility.  :)

I have loads of patience, so no need to feel harrassed by me. Take your time to get it right. :wink:

Michael