Grover Huffman SX interconnect - single ended

owenmd

Re: Grover Huffman SX interconnect - single ended
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:29 pm »
I know this seems like I'm trying to pick another cable fight, but I really am not.  I'm really just trying to understand what a "significant improvement" is.  On a scale of 1 to 100 how do you rate the improvement?  How would you rate things like going from TV speakers to an HT set up, or from a clock radio to a nice 2 channel system?   Ipod ear buds to real headphones?  I ask this because very few changes I have made to my system would rate as "significant" to me.  Mostly subtle, though still important to be sure.

Hi droht,

I've found that "some" gear is very insensitive to cables and other gear is not.  With some gear, a change in cables can make the difference between it being enjoyable, or even listenable and at the other end of the scale.... will make you evacuate the room.... and sometimes it just sounds different.... not better or worse, and it then simply becomes a personal preference?  I've heard extremely expensive and highly rated gear sound awful with a poor choice of cables.  As you go up the scale in equipment ability and purity (not necessarily price wise), the importance of good cables becomes more obvious.

I find it impossible to place a graduated scale on these things.... two different cables may sound tonally identical, but one may image well and sound 3 dimensional and much more "real" and the other create a flat and 2 dimensional presentation?  In my system, I have have heard changes that someone else may rate as a 1% improvement.... but to me, are absolutely critical to a satisfying presentation and I couldn't live without it...?

I have sometimes found that folks that can't hear much of a difference between cables may have issues with dirty AC and the grunge is stopping them from appreciating the difference?  At the end of the day.... everything comes down to component and system synergy and matching gear that creates harmony and not conflict.  I truly believe that its not possible to extract the best performance from any major component unless its fed with top quality AC and uses great cables (not necessarily very expensive cables).  Some folks may do better improving their AC and cables rather than constantly upgrading their amps etc and looking for the elusive nirvana...?

The fact that you even ask this question makes me think that you haven't heard much of a difference between cables in the past...?  My suggestion would be to try a pair of Grovers cables and see what you think..... he offers a 60 day money back return if they don't work for you or don't see value...?  The Grovers are one of the most transparent cables I've yet heard and the latest incarnation are quite neutral.... so just be aware that if you have it in your system, you may hear more of the bad stuff as well as more of the good stuff with a clearer pathway.... but you won't know unless you try...?

Anyway.... just my 2cents worth.... I'm sure there are a million other opinions out there...?

droht

« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:10 am »
Thanks for the reply owenmd.  I understand that it is near impossible for any of us to quantify a change and have it be meaningful to someone else.  I just struggle with how much of an improvement any change can make.  I'm sure I'll keep looking for that first game-changer.  I've toyed around with PCs and ICs and speaker cables and USB cables.  Nothing to write home about it.  You make an interesting point about power cleanliness.  I've been thinking about trying a battery power supply.  I suppose if that makes a difference I'll have to re-look at all the other stuff.  :)  It's a good thing this stuff is fun...

Bigfish

« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2009, 03:08 am »
I know this seems like I'm trying to pick another cable fight, but I really am not.  I'm really just trying to understand what a "significant improvement" is.  On a scale of 1 to 100 how do you rate the improvement?  How would you rate things like going from TV speakers to an HT set up, or from a clock radio to a nice 2 channel system?   Ipod ear buds to real headphones?  I ask this because very few changes I have made to my system would rate as "significant" to me.  Mostly subtle, though still important to be sure.

I would say if you can make changes to your system and those changes do not make a significant impact I would not want to purchase that piece of gear.  When you chose to put something new in your system it is because you are seeking some type of improvement.  I was very slow to heed the advice of many folks here at AC concerning room treatments.  Recently, I have added a significant amount of treatments to my room and the impact to the sound quality from my system has been very significant.  Before experimenting with cable changes and power conditioners treat your room if you have not already done so.  Once the room is properly treated you will hear more significant changes from any gear change.

Good Luck,

Ken

HumanMedia

« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2009, 05:36 am »
Do not even attempt to evaluate this cable until it has had at least 100 hours on it. I'm speaking from recent experience.

Like the other Grover interconnects there are definite changes after 300 hours - the treble becomes less hashy and more defined.

Matt_Carter

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jun 2014, 07:31 pm »
When it comes to sound all rules of science are suspended. Purely technical analytical approachs yields only ordinary sound. This is why cable making is really an art not a science IMHO.

Quote of the centenary for me.
As much as we know or DON'T KNOW at this point in history, the one thing we can truly rely on may be the one thing that can take us out of the stone age of today's conventional thinking.

BTW: The tradition continues with Grover's latest ZX+ cables.