Re: New Preamp: LS 100 and Options!
« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2010, 07:36 pm »
No, it does read HEAPHONE :D :D
Ask if you get a free unit!!
Oh, it isn't a contest. Damn. :D

modwright

« Reply #41 on: 21 Sep 2010, 08:57 pm »
Hmmm....uhhh....errrr....it is actually a proprietary design, using our...'HEA'Phone technology....thats it! :roll:

Thanks for pointing that out guys.  I can't believe that neither myself, our machinist or any of our techs here had even caught it?!

Thanks,

Dan

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 21 Sep 2010, 10:45 pm »
That must be the new proprietary "HEAPHONE" TM

This unique circuit design is ONLY found on this preamp...

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #43 on: 22 Sep 2010, 07:22 am »
Hmmm....uhhh....errrr....it is actually a proprietary design, using our...'HEA'Phone technology....thats it! :roll:

Thanks for pointing that out guys.  I can't believe that neither myself, our machinist or any of our techs here had even caught it?!

Thanks,

Dan

Hey, I'm kind of a visual guy and actually had to do work on that image file and I didn't catch it either.   :o   

low.pfile

« Reply #44 on: 22 Sep 2010, 03:56 pm »
not to worry guys, your typo is minor in comparison...

http://www.popfi.com/2010/09/22/south-bends-great-pubic-schools/

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #45 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:28 pm »
Do I smell a "demo" sale on the first few LS-100's?   Collectors item.  :D

modwright

« Reply #46 on: 22 Sep 2010, 06:39 pm »
If you mean the first FIFTY!?  Actually, over forty are already spoken for.  My Asian and European distributors have pre-ordered a LARGE chunk of them, U.S. dealers have grabbed a handful and a handful are going to RMAF that are already pre-sold.

Despite my inability to spell HEADPHONE ;), this is a GREAT preamp!

I would look at it more as a COLLECTABLE! :D

Thanks guys for not crucifying me too bad on this one...

Dan

Phil A

« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2010, 11:20 pm »
Dan.  Any plans for additional dealers?  Like in the DC area?  I'll probably be looking at either a new pre/pro or something for the main system in the very near future and perhaps finalizing what I plan to do not long after CES.

modwright

« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2010, 01:15 am »
I am open to suggestions!  Good U.S. dealers are hard to come by.  D.C. area is a strong market and if you can recommend a good dealer, I will gladly get in touch with them.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Phil A

« Reply #49 on: 23 Sep 2010, 01:38 am »
Dan - I'll send you a PM with some info

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #50 on: 23 Sep 2010, 06:17 am »
More purty pitchers....

modwright

« Reply #51 on: 23 Sep 2010, 06:54 pm »
Thanks Marco, these look great!

As you can see from the internals, we are using the 6SN7 drivers with as short a signal path as possible.  Power supply is located as far away from sensitive input signals as possible and power transformer is mounted vertically to limit stray emissions in the plane of the audio signal.

The headphone circuit can also be seen, in the lower right front quadrant of the preamp.  It is a purely discrete, MOSFET based follower circuit, biased in Class A to provide what I believe to be a very high quality integrated headphone amp.  This is opposed to the typical op-amp based afterthought offered by many mfrs.

All controls are via pushbutton and the control circuit is much more complex, allowing for much greater function via the 10-key remote!

Remote and balance controls are also located as close to input signals as possible, to keep noise levels down.

The two 20-pin headers and open outlined space on the board is where the optional phono or DAC board is installed.  Phono design is being finalized right now and DAC upgrade to follow later this year.

The taller chassis allows for greater range of rectifier choices, including 5U4GB, 5V4GB, 5U4G and 5V4G, but check height of some 5U4G/5V4G type tubes as many are very tall, such as the EML 5U4 and will not fit.  Inside chassis dimensions are 5".  I will determine max tube dim. and post here also.  This max dim. can be found on any tube datasheet, so you can tell which rectifiers will fit and be useable.

The 6SN7 tubes are being operated at VERY conservative operating pionts, so that tube life will be very long.  The use of our proprietary 'mu' variant circuit and top quality components result in what we feel to be a perfectly balanced sound, providing the strength of SS circuits with the beauty of tubes.

Thanks,

Dan W.

« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2010, 09:41 pm by modwright »

Toon

« Reply #52 on: 24 Sep 2010, 10:36 pm »
Dan,
I notice you haven't labelled the inputs for Left & Right Channel! While I doubt any prospective owner really needs the help, it's still kinda traditional   :)

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #53 on: 25 Sep 2010, 04:35 am »
Dan,
I notice you haven't labelled the inputs for Left & Right Channel! While I doubt any prospective owner really needs the help, it's still kinda traditional   :)

You can't really see it in the pic, but the RCA jacks have the standard color-coded base-rings (red on bottom and black on top). 

modwright

« Reply #54 on: 3 Oct 2010, 03:01 am »
Hi guys, not only is the LS 100 shipping, but we have nearly sold out the first production run of 50 units?!  I have just finished the first LS 100 Phono upgrade and am listening to it right now.  It is quieter and as good or better sounding than our previous $5K SWLP 9.0SE with external supply.  The LS 100 with internal phono and internal PS is just over $4K.

I am very excited about this new preamp!  It has truly achieved what I hoped that it would, in picking up where the 9.SE 'Sig. Ed.' left off, at 10% increase in price and MUCH greater % improvement in aesthetics, sound, functions and upgradeability.

You have all seen the pictures, so you know the aesthetic differences.

Following are the functional upgrades that the 9.0SE didn't have:

1) Built in Class A headphone amp.
2) Remote control: power, balance control select, remote triggers (2), input select.  It also has volume control and mute, as the 9.0SE did.
3) XLR inputs (one pair) and XLR outs (one pair) - not truly balanced.
4) Two remote triggers.
5) Balance control - may be bypassed.
6) push-button interface instead of toggles.
7) Optional user-installable DAC or phono upgrade.
8) 6SN7 driver tube instead of 5687 drivers.

Design and layout have been optimized for improved grounding and noise suppression from power supplies and new larger and non-resonant enclosure.  Taller rectifiers may be used, such as 5U4GB and 5V4GB's.

Thanks!

Dan W.

vintagebob

« Reply #55 on: 3 Oct 2010, 05:08 am »
I look forward to listening to it!

It seems like you are happy with the new phono board?

modwright

« Reply #56 on: 8 Oct 2010, 01:42 am »
I am VERY PLEASED with the first phono board, yes! I am building the second of two proto boards and am about to order the final production PCB's.

I was pleased enough with the first unit, to send it to RMAF for use at the show!  We are using a VPI Classic with Dnyna 20x cart I believe it is.  The folks at VPI were gracious enough to loan me one of their FANTASTIC 'Classic' TT's.  This unit is really beautiful and sounds beautiful too.

Yes, my $15K ($21K with triplanar arm and Shelter 901 cart) Redpoint Model A sounds better, but the price difference is HUGE and I could be QUITE happy with the VPI.  I chose to bring the VPI in order to display a system that reflects realistic system price-pionts and to show the high-value of our gear and what can be achieved within a 'reasonable' budget!

Thanks,

Dan W.

dminches

« Reply #57 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:21 pm »
Dan, the headphone amp is Class A meaning it is solid state and not driven by the tube stage?

hrcapers

« Reply #58 on: 8 Oct 2010, 03:57 pm »
Looks like there are (2) 12AX7 type tubes in the phono board. From Dan's previous quote:

"I am listening to our LS 100 right now with Sovtek rectifier, new production 6SN7 Tung-Sols (by Sovtek), but I DO have a pair of special tubes in the LS 100 Phono upgrade module that I am voicing.  I found a Tung-Sol 12AU7 and Brimar 12AX7 in my stash and vinyl is sounding AMAZING!"

dminches

« Reply #59 on: 8 Oct 2010, 04:08 pm »
I was referring to the headphone amp.  Isn't that different?