RMAF2015 Coverage Thread

Vinnie R.

RMAF2015 Coverage Thread
« on: 3 Oct 2015, 06:35 am »
All,

I'll use this thread to post RMAF2015 Show Coverage of our room as it becomes available, starting with:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137678.msg1464728#msg1464728

Audiocircle members Pez and Tyson visited our room today and I want to express my gratitude for all the effort
that they put into covering some of the smaller companies at the show (a few are vendors here on Audiocircle). 
If you are not familiar with how they roll, start here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137678.0

These guys are all business (in a good way!  :wink:) and didn't waste any time in coming into our room, giving me a CD-R
from Tyson's linty pants pocket (LOL!), jumping into the sweet spot to listen, and typing away with their impressions.  I can
imagine that not only their ears get tired from listening, but their fingers do as well!  :o

It's a lot of work, and I appreciate how they came in for a serious listen and posted their findings on their growing thread of
RMAF2015 coverage -  thanks, Tyson and Pez!!!  :beer:

---

Of course I must thank EVERYONE who visited our room today - both members of the press, AC members and
non-members alike.  We got off to a good start and are looking forward to the rest of the show!  :singing:

That's it for now - need to get sleep because the show starts early tomorrow AM!  :sleep:

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

Re: RMAF2015 Coverage Thread
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2015, 06:41 am »
I forgot to post what is in our room (Room 449 in the Atrium section):

- Acoustic Signature Challenger mkIII turntable / arm with Dynavector XX-2 cartridge
- Macbook with Audirvana Plus, iTunes, and even online streaming when needed

- LIO configured with AVC/Tubestage, DSD/PCM DAC, and Phonostage
- VR120 pre-production unit

- Harbeth 40.2 speakers, sitting on Resonant Woods stands

- Tellurium Q speaker cables and interconnects (from LIO to VR120)

- A few GIK Acoustics bass traps

Thanks

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2015, 02:22 am by Vinnie R. »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2015, 01:50 pm »
Gotta say Vinnie on day one you came out swinging haymakers and kickin ass! Your room was so fun and enjoyable I'll definitely be back today.

Just flat out awesome, good job!

-Tom

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:33 pm »
Gotta say Vinnie on day one you came out swinging haymakers and kickin ass! Your room was so fun and enjoyable I'll definitely be back today.

Just flat out awesome, good job!

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Very nice to meet you at RMAF!  Thank you for visiting / listening to our setup and your kind words!

Vinnie

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:46 pm »
Here's the comments from my report... one of the best systems at the show for sure. Congrats Vinnie!

Ok, Vinni Rossi and Harbeth put on one of the best demos at the show and are certainly in the top few I heard. I used a live version of Bela Fleck's "A Moment So Close", which most systems can't reproduce without it being a muddy mess, but this system did it properly and is one of a small handful of systems that made this track sound excellent. There was no muddiness, good separation and definition, it was amazing. I've had some exhibitors turn it off after a very short time and give me a dirty look (CaughNOLAcaugh) and in some systems it just sounds horrible. This system is up there with a ~$300k TAD system in it's rendition of this particular track, I really had a hard time believing what I was hearing. Beyond that, it had decent bass impact, very good tone and is otherwise of of the best systems I heard this weekend.  :thumb:

Zero

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:47 pm »
Tyson storing CD's in a linty pants pocket...    that just, doesn't surprise me. 

It was great seeing you at RMAF Vinnie!   

Vinnie R.

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:48 pm »
More from Pez and Tyson - "Best of RMAF 2015"

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137753.msg1465681#msg1465681

Quote from: Pez
This system just sang to me. Vinnie makes it on my list often and this year is no exception. I really enjoyed this setup and was surprised by the fact that they had a 3-way speaker working well near field! If you haven't already you owe it to yourself to check it out!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137753.msg1465682#msg1465682

Quote from: Tyson
Man, let me tell you this place was a musical oasis in the middle of the cacophonous assault on the senses the rest of the show represents.  I cannot imagine a more dramatic demonstration of the value of being off the grid entirely than a show like RMAF where every other vendor is using (and polluting) the power at the hotel.  But not Vinnie’s room.  It was like a cool clear stream on a warm spring day.  Natural, beautiful, invigorating.  The LIO is the real deal and obviously a game changer.

Again, I really appreciate what these guys have been doing for 10 years of their [sometimes brutally honest] coverage at RMAF.
It looks like this will be their last year covering the show  :(  but I hope they will still come to the show in 2016 and beyond to ENJOY IT and not work so hard.  I love how they BRING THE MUSIC that they want to listen to!   :thumb:

Thanks again, Tyson and Pez!

Vinnie

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:49 pm »
Hi Tom,

Very nice to meet you at RMAF!  Thank you for visiting / listening to our setup and your kind words!

Vinnie

It was a pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife!

The Vinnie Rossi/Harbeth/Tellirium room was right up there with one of my 3 favorite rooms if not the favorite. It didn't matter where I sat or stood in the room to hear great sounding music. Of course the sweet spot was the best and I sat there on numerous occasions and just loved what heard. Whether it was digital playing through the dac or the vinyl setup it was so much fun to just sit there song after song and just be immersed in the sound and I was thinking Sunday night I don't remember hearing one track I didn't enjoy. Big thumbs up!

I can see why some guys have multiple sets of speakers in their homes because there are quite a few setups I heard I could have taken home with if could've afford it and had the space and yours was definitely one of them. Between the beautiful sounding system and beautiful synergy to go along with your beautiful wife I kept leaving your room thinking "I want to be Vinnie!"   :D

Congrats on a great show and hopefully I'll get to see you again down the road.

-Tom

Vinnie R.

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:59 pm »
Hi DaveC113,

Many thanks for your show coverage and bringing in your test tracks and putting the new VR120 through its paces. 

This system is up there with a ~$300k TAD system in it's rendition of this particular track, I really had a hard time believing what I was hearing. Beyond that, it had decent bass impact, very good tone and is otherwise of of the best systems I heard this weekend.  :thumb:

Well, I am really having a hard time believing what I am reading!  I am without speech!  :o

THANK YOU - it was a lot of fun!   :thumb:

Tyson storing CD's in a linty pants pocket...    that just, doesn't surprise me.

It was great seeing you at RMAF Vinnie!   

Hi Sean,

I am not making that up.  Tyson just pulled it out and handed it over to me, and I smiled about the lint and blew some off.  :lol:
Hey, it seemed to play fine on my fancy schmancy $79 Apple USB SuperDrive.   :green:

It was great to see you at RMAF, and Alexis and I loved your slideshow video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv540Tx7Nq0

Thanks for visiting us and all your hard work covering the show! 

Vinnie

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2015, 05:01 pm »
Vinnie,

You know, I wasn't expecting much from your room, given my previous experiences with Harbeth (multiple times). So I'll say it again, like I did before...the Harbeth/Vinnie room was a great, fun experience with the Vinnie LIO/VR120 at the helm!

Great work, a pleasure to finally meet you!  :thumb: I also finally met up with John Chapman at lunch on Sunday.

Best,
Anand.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2015, 05:21 pm »
It was a pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife!

The Vinnie Rossi/Harbeth/Tellirium room was right up there with one of my 3 favorite rooms if not the favorite. It didn't matter where I sat or stood in the room to hear great sounding music. Of course the sweet spot was the best and I sat there on numerous occasions and just loved what heard. Whether it was digital playing through the dac or the vinyl setup it was so much fun to just sit there song after song and just be immersed in the sound and I was thinking Sunday night I don't remember hearing one track I didn't enjoy. Big thumbs up!

I can see why some guys have multiple sets of speakers in their homes because there are quite a few setups I heard I could have taken home with if could've afford it and had the space and yours was definitely one of them. Between the beautiful sounding system and beautiful synergy to go along with your beautiful wife I kept leaving your room thinking "I want to be Vinnie!"   :D

Congrats on a great show and hopefully I'll get to see you again down the road.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks again - Alexis is definitely my better looking half, and to be very honest, she solders better than me!  :wink:
Without all her help at the shop and at these shows, I won't be able to pull it off.  :notworthy:

Vinnie,

You know, I wasn't expecting much from your room, given my previous experiences with Harbeth (multiple times). So I'll say it again, like I did before...the Harbeth/Vinnie room was a great, fun experience with the Vinnie LIO/VR120 at the helm!

Great work, a pleasure to finally meet you!  :thumb: I also finally met up with John Chapman at lunch on Sunday.

Best,
Anand.

Hi Anand,

It was a pleasure to meet you, and thank you for stopping by to listen. 

At the last few shows we've been to (including RMAF), I heard quite a few comments mentioning
that they never heard Harbeths sing like this before.  I guess it's a good synergy thing!

Glad you got to meet John Chapman - he really is the great one and the nicest guy in the biz 8)

Thanks again!

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2015, 12:57 am »
It was nice to see you both again at RMAF with another potential blockbuster product in the VR120. The room sounded great to me, and others with much more discerning ears than me certainly seem to agree. Wishing you continued success and hoping I can find a way to slide at least one VR120 into my system some time soon.

Tom

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2015, 01:01 am »
Hi Tom,

Thanks again - Alexis is definitely my better looking half,
No doubt about that!  :green:

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2015, 01:12 am »
Where can I find more info on the VR120?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2015, 01:14 am »
Axpona 2016   :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2015, 01:17 am »

I am not making that up.  Tyson just pulled it out and handed it over to me, and I smiled about the lint and blew some off.  :lol:
Hey, it seemed to play fine on my fancy schmancy $79 Apple USB SuperDrive.   :green:
Vinnie

That, SIR, was not LINT!  It was a $5000 damping dot I bought especially for the disc.  How DARE you wipe that off!  I am officially removing your room from my Best Of RMAF selections!!!   

:lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2015, 01:21 am »
That, SIR, was not LINT!  It was a $5000 damping dot I bought especially for the disc.  How DARE you wipe that off!  I am officially removing your room from my Best Of RMAF selections!!!   

Make your system sound better...take it up a notch or two. 

Tyson Damping Dot $5k. 

Order NOW!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2015, 01:32 am »
It was nice to see you both again at RMAF with another potential blockbuster product in the VR120. The room sounded great to me, and others with much more discerning ears than me certainly seem to agree. Wishing you continued success and hoping I can find a way to slide at least one VR120 into my system some time soon.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for visiting  - great to see you again!

Quote from: Vinnie R. on Yesterday at 05:21 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks again - Alexis is definitely my better looking half,

No doubt about that!  :green:

Hi jtwrace,

Wow - I really walked right into that.  :duh:  :green:

Hi roscoeiii,

See:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137262.0

Hey Tyson,

Oh, crap!  Maybe the cleaning lady has it in her vacuum bag.  :violin:   There is still time to recover it !!!  :hyper:  :wink:

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #18 on: 7 Oct 2015, 02:12 am »
From Herb Reichert / Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/day-one-herb-reichert

Quote from: Herb Reichert
Today I saw Vinnie's new ultracapacitor-powered VR120 amplifier. I touched it, I photographed it (above), and I listened to it play Thom Yorke in the most effortless, grainless, natural, detailed, visceral, musically exciting way.

Please note there is a mistake in the write-up.  We were using the new Harbeth 40.2's, not the SHL5plus model:

Quote from: Herb Reichert
The VR120 was driving the wonderful (see Art Dudley's review) Harbeth Super HL5plus loudspeakers ($6695/pair in cherry); which are currently my No.1 favorite loudspeaker. To date, I have not found anything not to love about Vinnie's amps driving Harbeths.

Thanks for coming in for a listen, Herb!  I'm enjoying your show coverage and know others are as well!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2015, 07:07 pm »
Many thanks to Michael Lavorgna of AudioStream for visiting us at RMAF:

www.audiostream.com/content/vinnie-rossi-lio-0

Quote from: Michael Lavorgna / Audiostreamp.com
Vinnie paired his electronics with the Harbeth 40.2 Reference Monitors ($14,990/pair) and the sound was liquid-ie good.
Read more at http://www.audiostream.com/content/vinnie-rossi-lio-0#7IE78pCsPestFcWB.99

:drool: