Save a kid from Bose!!!!!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Save a kid from Bose!!!!!
« on: 29 Dec 2016, 03:04 am »
Step-grandson has the hots for Bose wireless, over-the-ear cans, and has asked my wife  for $$$ towards the $300 he needs.

Any suggestions for better-sounding cans for similar or less $$$???

Thanks!

Bob
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2016, 02:40 am by thunderbrick »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Save a kid from Bose!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2016, 03:20 am »
From what my brother says, Bose is one of the better wireless headphones.  I've never listened to a wireless headphone, so from my perspective he's an authority, YMMV. 

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2016, 03:56 am »
It's all tradeoffs with Bose: good comfort, light weight, excellent noise cancelling, so-so durability, average sound.

Obvious competitors are Sennheisers and Sony assuming you're still hunting for wireless. Are looking for home wireless or bluetooth? Do you need the noise cancelling?

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2016, 04:15 am »
Hey, look at the bright side, at least he's not asking for Beats....

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2016, 04:16 am »
Well, he's going wireless which is automatically a downgrade sound wise. But in the sector of wireless headphones, I think Bose are among the better / best available. They're about comfort and convenience not sound quality (or real material quality). Worth $300? I don't think so, but none of us here are the audience Bose is targeting either....I don't think. :nono: Sorry, I don't have alternative headphone recommendations.

My suggestion : Just let him get what he wants. I know it sucks because it's not $300 well spent (in our view). But, more than likely, if he doesn't get them now he will get them eventually. I went through this when my stepson was hot for Beats a few years ago. I bought him better headphones which he likes, but he still went out and bought Beats later anyway. So........whatever. When they break or when he's no longer concerned about the popularity factor of his headphones, hopefully he'll come to you for help.

sandmanct

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2016, 05:31 am »
I bought three  of these,  one for me and two for my kids.   Great price and I am happy with them, obviously not as good as My Beyer T1's but better than my oldest son's wireless beats.   http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_95331_Phiaton-Chord-MS-530-MS530.html

Here is a review http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sum-greater-its-parts-outstanding-phiaton-chord-ms-530-bluetooth-noise-canceling-headphonehe#cJgSkQWzAC4rrp6I.97

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2016, 12:38 pm »
My daughter has a pair of Bose on-ear bluetooth headphones and loves them. She wears them for you tube viewing, while cooking, and for music listening. Very comfortable and seemingly rugged as she's had them for  a couple years.
She scoffs at my need for fidelity though, so I have no idea how they sound. She like them and that's good enough for me.

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2016, 01:26 pm »
My brother recently bought the Bose wireless headphones.  When I informed him of the latest offering from Sony, he bought a pair of those as well.  He preferred the Sony units, and gave the Bose away to a family member.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1000x?cid=sem-na-274

There are some interesting threads on this over at Head-Fi. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2016, 01:54 pm »
Both my kids have Bluetooth headphones.  Jabra Move.  Nice units if not the equal of a good set of wired. 

kenreau

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2016, 05:24 pm »
I just read a review of the same Sony MDR-1000x over at http://www.digitalaudioreview.net and plan to now purchase them. Sounds like a great all around headphone, capable of both bluetooth (active) or passive listening.  Closer to the $400 range, but I just can't see myself buying either Bose, or Beats products.

Kenreau

My brother recently bought the Bose wireless headphones.  When I informed him of the latest offering from Sony, he bought a pair of those as well.  He preferred the Sony units, and gave the Bose away to a family member.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1000x?cid=sem-na-274

There are some interesting threads on this over at Head-Fi.

brooklyn

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2016, 06:02 am »
I cant recommend any wireless headphones but the Bose look fragile from what I’ve seen
at the stores. I’ve had a lady at work ask me to epoxy her sons beats back together which
were badly mangled.. Does the grandson look after his things?

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2016, 02:04 pm »
The Bose QC35 is equalized to be fairly neutral with NC or NC plus BT on, but other Bose headphones are quite muffled.

The QC35 was the model my brother purchased.  He just decided he liked the Sony MDR 1000X better. 

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2016, 08:14 pm »
Those Bose are fine headphones.