Super-V mk2 speakers and baffle step loss

david45

Super-V mk2 speakers and baffle step loss
« on: 21 Oct 2014, 02:25 am »
I am having a pair of Super-V speakers custom built by Ruben in the next few weeks and they should look quite similar to the Serenity Super-7.

Width is pretty much the same as regular Super-V speakers so this is covered, but they should be much taller (either 57'' or 59'' without spikes).

Although the coaxial driver is still going to be relatively close to the OB woofers and should therefore integrate fairly well, I am wondering to what extent the different baffle shape is going to affect the overall response.

On top of being a few inches longer, the upper part of the baffle would be rectangular shaped as opposed to round like regular Super-V speakers.

Since the baffle isn't going be visible and completely covered with a rectangular grille, would I be better off asking Ruben to make some changes to the baffle dimensions/shape?  I assume it would even be possible to leave a small gap at the bottom of the baffle without affecting rigidity too much and that would not be visible from the front.

Should anything else be taken into consideration since the p-audio driver uses controlled directivity or is it of no concern?

Thanks,

David

Danny Richie

Re: Super-V mk2 speakers and baffle step loss
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:21 am »
I would try not to let it get too tall. You really want to keep the center of the coaxial as close as possible to ear level. And adding more baffle area around it will add more surface reflections and have a negative effect on imaging.

By a small gap at the bottom I am hoping you aren't talking about a hole in the baffle. That would have some adverse effect.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:56 am »
When I came up with the idea of building the Super V to look like the Super 7 I talked to Ruben about baffle step loss. My concern was about the fact that the sides of the Super 7 are much narrower at the top and I would lose what Danny has said is critical to the sound of the speaker.

This is why the speaker is taller, to add more surface area on the front baffle and make up for the loss of surface area on the side panels.

It seems to me that is would be counter intuitive to put a hole in the front of the baffle but I would only be guessing.

Hopefully the surface area is calculated so that it comes out close to what Danny had intended when he added the side wings to the Super V.

Greg

david45

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2014, 02:36 pm »
I would try not to let it get too tall. You really want to keep the center of the coaxial as close as possible to ear level. And adding more baffle area around it will add more surface reflections and have a negative effect on imaging.

By a small gap at the bottom I am hoping you aren't talking about a hole in the baffle. That would have some adverse effect.

Thanks for the reply Danny.

I will make sure the center of the coaxial is kept as close as possible to ear level.

If you take a look at the poorly drawn picture I just uploaded, does it look like a good compromise in order to minimize baffle area around the coaxial and still have the speaker appear taller than it actually is? The one-piece grill would cover the entire front of the speaker.

Thanks

david45

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2014, 02:55 pm »
When I came up with the idea of building the Super V to look like the Super 7 I talked to Ruben about baffle step loss. My concern was about the fact that the sides of the Super 7 are much narrower at the top and I would lose what Danny has said is critical to the sound of the speaker.

This is why the speaker is taller, to add more surface area on the front baffle and make up for the loss of surface area on the side panels.

It seems to me that is would be counter intuitive to put a hole in the front of the baffle but I would only be guessing.

Hopefully the surface area is calculated so that it comes out close to what Danny had intended when he added the side wings to the Super V.

Greg

Hey Greg,

I sure hope you are correct with your assumptions.

Please make sure you upload a few pictures and post your impressions after you receive your speakers from Ruben.

Cheers,

David

david45

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2014, 07:27 pm »

Danny,

Email sent to info@gr-research.com

Thanks,

David

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2014, 09:46 pm »
Hey Greg,

I sure hope you are correct with your assumptions.

Please make sure you upload a few pictures and post your impressions after you receive your speakers from Ruben.

Cheers,

David

Hey David,

As soon as I get my speakers I will take some pictures as I'm going to be very exited to finally have them in my hands.

Ruben said that he always runs his changes in design by Danny before doing them so I'm pretty sure he ran the change in size of the speaker by Danny.

Greg

david45

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:33 am »
Hey David,

As soon as I get my speakers I will take some pictures as I'm going to be very exited to finally have them in my hands.

Ruben said that he always runs his changes in design by Danny before doing them so I'm pretty sure he ran the change in size of the speaker by Danny.

Greg

Thanks Greg!!

I'll give a call to Danny tomorrow just to make sure.

David

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:50 am »
Hey David,

Greg

Hey Greg
Do you have any updates on expected delivery ?   I know it must be clos.... bet you are getting  very anxious  !!

-jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2014, 05:48 pm »
Hey Greg
Do you have any updates on expected delivery ?   I know it must be clos.... bet you are getting  very anxious  !!

-jay

Hi Jay,

I don't know when they will be done  :cry: I'm trying to be patient and understanding but it is getting harder not knowing a time line. As soon as I get them I will install the drivers and take pictures. I'm sure they are going to look great and I can't wait to hear them.

Thanks you asking,

Greg