my LGK build log (all done!)

BK_856er

Re: my LGK build log
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:54 am »
Sanded smooth with 220 and cut driver opening with router + special trim bit.  Nice clean cutout edges!

First coat of Waterlox goes on tomorrow.

BK

randytsuch

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2014, 01:25 pm »
yeah im in so cal, closest store is orange county so we have have different laws down here.  I think so cal is some of the toughest.

speakers looking good

Randy

BK_856er

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2014, 11:35 pm »
1 coat down, several more to go at 1-day intervals.

I pre-sanded less than my test pieces, and with 220 instead of 320, so the sheen on this initial coat is less.

BK

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm »
Very nice!  :thumb:

BK_856er

« Reply #24 on: 26 Apr 2014, 07:42 pm »
Couple more pics taken the day after the recent coat.  So far I have three coats of Waterlox at ~24hr intervals.  Between coats I sand with no-clog 320, pretty heavily after the first couple coats and more lightly at this stage.  Wondering if I would benefit from a finer paper?  Tried some wet/dry 400 and it clogged up pretty quickly, but I liked the smoother surface.  Shooting for 2-3 more coats then let things outgas for a while before installing the drivers.  The can says the sheen will continue to diminish over 3-6 months, which will be just about right for my goals.  I like that I can see the grain structure within the finish as it gives things a very natural appearance.  The figure really pops in the sunlight!

BK

BK_856er

« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2014, 08:15 pm »
I used this special Whiteside bit to trim the veneer for the driver hole.  Worked great, but on the first one I had the depth a hair to low and I created some heat, as you can see from the inconsequential burn marks in previous pics.  Nice clean cut on this very brittle veneer!

BK

cody69

« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:28 am »
Your speakers came out gorgeous -- I like your veneer selection and choice of an oil finish.

Wondering if I would benefit from a finer paper?  Tried some wet/dry 400 and it clogged up pretty quickly, but I liked the smoother surface.

You can make a glass smooth finish by putting a puddle of oil on the surface and polishing with very fine wet/dry paper. Go light and the slurry will act as a filler and create an extremely smooth surface.
Wipe off any excess, let it dry, repeat a couple of times and you'll have a surface you can't keep your hands off.

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:08 am »
Your speakers came out gorgeous -- I like your veneer selection and choice of an oil finish.

You can make a glass smooth finish by putting a puddle of oil on the surface and polishing with very fine wet/dry paper. Go light and the slurry will act as a filler and create an extremely smooth surface.
Wipe off any excess, let it dry, repeat a couple of times and you'll have a surface you can't keep your hands off.

+1.  This is what I was taught long ago  by a ship teacher  back in hjigh school.   We  always started with 400 / wet/dry  and  went finer with each coat.  We always kept a can of  the stain/oil handy that the paper could be "flushed " in to keep it clean.  Can get pretty messy  but worth the effort.
I love the finish this produces.

They are looking  great BK_856er,   

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2014, 02:30 am »
Very nice indeed.  :thumb:

Mike

BK_856er

« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2014, 11:56 pm »
I don't want to push my luck with the thin veneer, so I'll leave the glass-smooth polishing for another project.

Here's today's sanding just before coat #5.  I think I'm at the point of diminishing returns and I'll let coat #5 set up for a few days and maybe call it quits after that.

BK

BK_856er

« Reply #30 on: 3 May 2014, 09:28 pm »
Put on two more coats to fix some minor issues.  These pics are 1 day after the final layer.  It's a fine line between OCD and looking good!  Interesting to see how the Waterlox behaves as you build coats and the daily temperature changes.  It's a very forgiving product and newb friendly, but it can be a challenge to contend with the vertical and horizontal surfaces as it dries the first 45min or so - it likes to creep and flow with gravity.  I don't know if a foam brush was optimal in terms of application.  I think for my next project I'll use fewer coats to keep more natural grain structure, but I'm still happy with the outcome.  Should get the drivers in very soon.

BK

BK_856er

« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2014, 03:30 am »
Here we go again.  Had the speakers flat on a cotton towel for a couple hours while RTV for the port tube cured and the cloth left an imprint that I can't rub out.  Back to sanding.  Lesson learned - 24hrs in front of a fan is not enough when the finish is built up.

BK

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #32 on: 5 May 2014, 12:14 am »
Most any oil based varnish takes a long time to really harden up...as you're finding out. Very slow evaporation of solvents is part of what makes it easy to handle. You can add a little japan dryer to speed things up some, but it's the nature of the beast. The good is that once it does set hard it's a good(and good looking) finish. Another thing I've done is to modify their recommended application procedure. Thin a little (maybe 15 0r 20%) with mineral spirits, and use more like a wiping finish. The table I showed earlier was finished this way.  It's the kind of thing you just can't rush, which is why industry has mostly gone to hotter solvent based and catalyzed finishes.

Counter intuitively, the fan may have slowed things down some. Force drying will tend to dry just the surface and create a sort of skin that traps the solvents in the underlying layers, thus slowing down the evaporation.

Time will be your friend.

BK_856er

« Reply #33 on: 5 May 2014, 12:14 am »
Put a fork in it, it's done!

Breaking them in and sounding real good.   :thumb:

BK

BK_856er

« Reply #34 on: 5 May 2014, 12:22 am »
Most any oil based varnish takes a long time to really harden up...as you're finding out. Very slow evaporation of solvents is part of what makes it easy to handle. You can add a little japan dryer to speed things up some, but it's the nature of the beast. The good is that once it does set hard it's a good(and good looking) finish. Another thing I've done is to modify their recommended application procedure. Thin a little (maybe 15 0r 20%) with mineral spirits, and use more like a wiping finish. The table I showed earlier was finished this way.  It's the kind of thing you just can't rush, which is why industry has mostly gone to hotter solvent based and catalyzed finishes.

Counter intuitively, the fan may have slowed things down some. Force drying will tend to dry just the surface and create a sort of skin that traps the solvents in the underlying layers, thus slowing down the evaporation.

Time will be your friend.

After I had the project going I read the abundant info on the Waterlox site and they push very hard the requirement of air exchanges and circulation for proper curing via oxygen diffusion.  But yes, I will heed your advice about time and not rushing and trying a wipe-on technique well-suited for DIY type work.  This is the first of several projects and was a really good learning experience for me.  Thanks again for the killer product recommendation!

BK

persisting1

Re: my LGK build log (all done!)
« Reply #35 on: 5 May 2014, 06:56 am »
Those are some good looking desktop speakers  :thumb:

cody69

« Reply #36 on: 5 May 2014, 11:14 am »
Congratulations. These are fantastic looking speakers. The oil finish pops the great figure in the veneer and adds a rich warm color and tone.

randytsuch

« Reply #37 on: 5 May 2014, 01:24 pm »
Nice job. Finish looks really good in the pics, must be awesome in person

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #38 on: 5 May 2014, 02:15 pm »
Looks good from here BK. More importantly, are you pleased with results? Often when at the end of a project, I find myself thinking next time I'll change this or that...keeps the fire burning, I suppose.

baniels

« Reply #39 on: 5 May 2014, 02:27 pm »
Those are gorgeous! Really well done.