Welcome to the Open-Baffle Speaker Circle

mcgsxr

Welcome to the Open-Baffle Speaker Circle
« on: 7 Sep 2006, 12:27 pm »
This circle should be a place for folks who are interested in, or build, or have heard, open baffle speakers.  I am sure there is a good definition somewhere, but I figure if you build a speaker, and it it not enclosed in a box, then it is open baffle -  this will include flat baffles, U baffles, H baffles, Z baffles, etc.

Hopefully, we will all work hard to share what we find, and respect that others hear and desire different results.  It is important to remember that we are all speaking a second language here - the written word lacks all the inflection, and emotion of the spoken word, so often people will interpret things in ways that were not necessarily intended by the person who typed them.  The use of emoticons works for some, other will bracket laughter to help folks know that they are kidding etc.

In any case, let's work to keep it clean and fun, while we share our passion for speakers, without the box!

I know that open baffle speakers are not a silver bullet, and there are many exceptional examples of other types of speakers that I enjoy, but I find that open baffle speakers are one excellent way to enjoy the reproduction of music.

I look forward to learning more about the configurations that folks come up with, the associated gear, how rooms interract differently with different configurations, and ultimately what different designs people end up with.

Objective information welcome, as is subjective reporting of experimentation, etc.

Be well all,
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2006, 10:41 am by mcgsxr »

TheChairGuy

Re: Welcome to the Open Baffle Speaker Circle
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2006, 01:20 pm »
CanuckMark,

Your definition would seem to include us Planar guys, too, an open baffle design, of course.

This is a really good circle to have - good luck with it  :thumb:

John / TCG

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2006, 01:51 pm »
Welcome everyone!    :D 8)

I have some questions for the more experienced that I've been holding off on.... :hyper:

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2006, 02:42 pm »
Yes John, since a Planar has no "enclosure" to speak of, y'all are welcome here too!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2006, 02:59 pm »
Allrighty then!

The current tagline is 'A friendly place, where folks can share recipes, and discuss speakers built on an open baffle'

Shouldn't that be changed to something more succinct like 'F * * K the box' ?

:lol:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2006, 04:09 pm »
...and maybe we could punctuate it correctly, as in Open-Baffle Speaker Circle.  :-)

Gothover

Re: Welcome to the Open-Baffle Speaker Circle
« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2012, 02:44 pm »
Hello, I am new to OB speakers, though I have been building speakers for some time now. I am pleased to see a dedicated OB area.

My name is Dave, and I have been building wood horns for several years, I am considering building an upgraded drop in replacement horn for the Emerald Physics CS-2. I can build these horns pure Tractrix, Conical, or a Conical Tractrix Hybrid. These can either be 1 inch to accomodate the original drivers or 2 inch and go to a nice B&C or other capable 2-way driver.

Dave
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2012, 05:39 am by Gothover »

Route66

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2012, 07:20 pm »
Hi Guys,

I was a few years ago, i was playing with Supravox signature 8 in. 99 db full-range with there 101db TG1 tweeter and 285GMF 12 inc. After made the panneau plan , yes the plan that they propose on there site.

I ask a guy who could make me clean box with real wood match pair , you know what , i had JM Lab Electra 920.1 new 7000$ , when my new panneau plan arrive i had prototype took of my drivers off and put them in the new ones.

Invited friends for a listing session with a Sony SACD 777ES, CEC TL51 and Audiomat Tango 2.5 and Audiomat Solfege Reference upgraded to an Opera Reference and wow..... great sounding speakers we were 5 guys all unanimse the blow out the electra and sold them on the spot , the quality of the staging , imaging was incredible..... working with 99 db drivers is a experience on its own.

Also i never went back to commercial  speakers... and i am still with my open baffles. And still love them... You know what try them.

Route 66

ladrillo

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2017, 02:53 pm »
Hello!!! We should have as well an oen baffle gallery here!!!!