SS into Quad ESL-57

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
SS into Quad ESL-57
« on: 19 Jan 2018, 03:17 pm »
I recall that the venerable NAD 3020 was stable into a Quad ESL-57, while many SS amps struggled with its wild and wacky impedance curve.

Has anyone used a NAD BEE series integrated amp with this speaker? Or what about the hybrid D3020? Some say class D is not a good fit, but others say it’s fine. I guess it depends on the circuit.

Don_S

Re: SS into Quad ESL-57
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2018, 03:52 pm »
I have a C356BEE that worked great on PSB Imagine Minis and KEF LS50s.  Failed almost immediately when put on Quad ESL-2805s. Integrated is in the shop now.

Bad timing or bad pairing?  You decide but I would not recommend the combo.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2018, 05:09 pm »
I recall that the venerable NAD 3020 was stable into a Quad ESL-57, while many SS amps struggled with its wild and wacky impedance curve.

Has anyone used a NAD BEE series integrated amp with this speaker? Or what about the hybrid D3020? Some say class D is not a good fit, but others say it’s fine. I guess it depends on the circuit.

NAD should be OK, does no harm. We have preferred Peachtree and better yet Arion HS500 hybrid class "D"mono blocks, just awesome.

charles

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2018, 10:42 pm »
Those amps are way too pricey. I just need a stopgap solution while I’m gathering parts for some mono tube amps. I just want to make sure that no damage will be caused to the amp, and more importantly, the speakers!

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2018, 11:59 am »
First Watt class A amps. F4 if you have a high gain preamp., otherwise go for one of the others. Magical combination!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2018, 01:08 pm »
If you ask nicely, some other AC member may offer to loan a tube amp temporarily while you finish your amp build. I've seen it happen. Would probably only cost you round trip shipping.

Pose your request right here in this thread.