Beyond the DCX2496: Active Digital Crossovers

Avoosl

Beyond the DCX2496: Active Digital Crossovers
« on: 3 Feb 2015, 04:53 am »
    As the sole owner of a working RM50 speaker (at least as documented on this circle), I've been delighted with the sound ever since the 2011 CES Show pair moved 3000 miles east to my house in Maryland.  I mean, for me this is the speaker for all time.  Now the DCX crossover it uses is no slouch, and is still quite the bang for the buck - Brian chose wisely.  Still, I always knew that a signal improvement could be had by upgrading the DCX.  I looked around at the modifications possible through at least 3 parties.  I looked at the DEQX models and, recently, the Xilica, and one or two others.  But, mostly, I just dithered.

This week I've been auditioning the newest entry on the block.  It's a HAL dspMusik2x8 wrought by Rich Hollis of Hollis Audio Labs (HAL).  The effect on the already fine, fine sound has been very good, indeed - as you'll read in a moment.

WHAT IT IS:  It's a half-sized box built around a Danville Signal Processing dspMusik 2x8 using Wolfson DACs on the final D/A conversion.  Three inputs can be frequency split into 2, 4, 6, or 8 outputs, meaning it will run a 2-way, a 3-way speaker or a 3-way with sub outputs, similar to the DCX.  All the slopes and filter types you're used to are available here.  The processing is at 24bit/192KHz and 40bit full floating point math.  It uses balanced connectors, TRS on the crossover side to XLRs on the amps.    If you run a music server you can go straight through the USB2 asynchronous input, bypassing the A/D conversion, using the Music Server software volume control.  There is also an S/PDIF coaxial input for users that require that digital input.

USES:  Any RM40, RM30, RM60, RM1,2,X owners already using a DCX2496 box can use this - as well as many other speakers, of course.  You send the crossover points and slopes and filter types to HAL and he will custom program the values into the box without any fiddling on your part.  If you like you can bundle it with a computer/music server with the block diagram programming on it to fiddle on your own.

WHY I LIKE IT:  Compared to the SAME settings on the DCX that Brian had recommended, I find first of all, and most importantly, greater clarity on vocalizations.  I realize now that I had been relying, at least partly,  on knowing the words on time-worn favorite songs.  Now I hear the precise syllables and enunciations of the individual letters, yet without over-emphasis.  This produces a greater sense of ease as you aren’t mentally interpolating what you think should be there.  Heck, even that ole Hillbilly Cat, Elvis didn't slur his words as much as we thought.  And, vital to my mostly Baroque and Classical listening, modern strings sing as sweetly and resonantly as they should , and original-type instruments are as unapologetically squawky as they should be.  And yes, the brass is properly metallic and blatty as the case may be.

The punchiness of moderately low bass is quite evident, even to tin ears, and the low, low bass, when present, is a moving experience, as it ought to be.  But bass is not added anywhere artificially.  This should be appreciated for those with a taste for Rock stuff, I would imagine.

Lastly for this introductory note, there seems to be a greater sensitivity to spatial cues and far left and right information which, on a select few tracks, comes near to a certain surround effect.  I can't put it all into words yet, and it's only evident on certain tracks.  I hazard the guess that this comes from the more precise timing from the master clock.  I am still exploring the subtle but welcome effects of this part of its build quality.  More observations to come.

WHERE IT IS:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132170.0

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Beyond the DCX2496: Active Digital Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:02 pm »
Avoosl,
Thank you for the dspMusik digital crossover insights into it's sound quality with the VMPS RM50 speakers.   

I know the insides of the RM50 speakers well from when they were received and if anyone needs help getting another pair working that would be possible.

Possibly a VMPS RM40 demo coming up, so hope to continue the listening trials.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:47 pm »
   It is about time Hal gets some Kudos. The man is a genius. If you are desirous of active digital crossover seek him out. Do not forget the Music Server either.

charles

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:51 pm »
Thanks Charles!

Definitely having some fun listening with the MS-3 and dspMusik setup!

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:59 pm »
   It is about time Hal gets some Kudos. The man is a genius. If you are desirous of active digital crossover seek him out. Do not forget the Music Server either.

charles

+1!!!!!!!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2015, 04:07 pm »
I am next.  You know I dig vinyl.  We will see if the hirez DSP trumps the additional AD/DA loop.  I am looking forward to hearing DSProcessed, room customized output vs. that from simple (but active) analog 4th order filters.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2015, 04:15 pm »
woodsyi,
Sounds like a plan!

Housteau

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2015, 02:22 am »
Can it do DSP room correction as the DCX and Xilica are able to do?  That is a very important aspect to me.

Pneumonic

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2015, 02:30 am »
Interesting.  Anyone using Hal's DXO with a Sanders setup in place of the Behringer? 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2015, 02:44 am »
Housteau,
If you are talking about Parametric EQ for room mode correction, it can be added to the program.  Takes about 10 minutes to add and test as long as I know the filter types and parameters needed.

There are only two units at this time.  Waiting for more to arrive.

Pneumonic,

Larry B had the Sanders Electrostats at one point and sent the paper on the DCX2496 crossover.  Have not fully investigated it, but anything the DCX2496 can do other than the automated time offset measurements it can do.  If that has been done with the DCX2496, I just use the time offsets for the delays in the code for the dspMusik. 

Does that help?

Housteau

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2015, 02:51 am »
Can the parametric filters and crossover slopes be user set and changed? 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2015, 02:56 am »
The customer just tells me what is needed and I build the code to the need.

This is not a standard user interface like the Behringer.  That is why I can eliminate unwanted signal processing from the path.

May not be for everyone, but customized works well. 

Housteau

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2015, 04:21 pm »
Definitely looks to be a very nice approach that will benefit a lot of people that prefer a plug and play approach keeping things simple.  I have a fairly complex system that benefits from a fully fluid user adjustable set of parameters.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2015, 02:32 pm »
Something special is going on here.  I am still getting the hang of things but digital end is sounding really good.  We haven't dialed it in with measurements yet but I tweaked the pole frequency, slope and levels to what I like (Rich has escaped the cold here to warm Florida for a spell) and I am liking what I am hearing.  The digital direct is sounding better than ever before, making my preamp and outboard DAC seem superfluous....  :o  I still haven't come to a conclusion whether vinyl play through the digital crossover is better or worse or the same...

BTW,  everything is user changeable and not difficult to do so.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2015, 01:50 am »
Rim,
Glad you are enjoying the setup in your system. 

Will be interesting to hear the difference after room measurements.

Avoosl

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2015, 04:06 pm »
    Update: I have now purchased the dspMusic system crossover/DAC that I posted about here a month ago.  Still delighted - DELIGHTED!, I say - with the improvements in listening quality in my system compared with that using the yeoman, workmanlike Behringer DCX.   I was hoping by now, some of you RM40 owners -whom I thought most likely to go the active, external crossover route - would have chimed in with what you are using, or if you have been mulling over an upgrade.   Speak up.  I'm no techno-wizard, but I'm sure that answers to most questions can be conjured up.

I want to make clear that the selling points of the dspMusic unit aren't any "point 'n click", "set 'n forget" ease of use, per se.  Rather, it is a real, thoroughly convincing improvement in sound quality, refinement, articulation, etc., over the Behringer box - which Brian, the ever-sensible cost-cutter routinely recommended.   Even though I thought the RM50s the best speaker I've heard, its true potential was somewhat masked - but not any more.  I would imagine the same performance elevation would hold true for the other, far more popular VMPS speakers.

If you click on the link in my first letter you can see how to connect up to it for purchase or for a trial.  Though I admit that the Hollis guy is an old and very good friend, I can testify he really is one most accommodating guy, who is something of an industry secret who truly knows the nitty-gritty technical stuff, can blast  through the usual baffle-gab of audio smoke and mirrors, and will happily work with you.  And, if you want to hear the dspMusic magic in a working set-up, connect up with me - my people will talk with your people - and I would be open to a listening session at my house in southern Maryland, in The Lava Lounge itself!

Bob

a.wayne

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2015, 05:35 pm »
Hello Bob,

Could you post a link to your DSP unit i could not find it .....

Regards

Avoosl

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2015, 06:13 pm »
Certainly,

Best,
Bob

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2015, 11:06 am »
Both woodsyi and Pez are now trying the dspMusik with their VMPS RM40's. 

Looking forward to their comments here or in the other thread.

Stimpy

« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm »
Certainly,

Best,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Can you provide a direct link to the product itself?  Just curious about product info?  Plus, where to buy it, as I'm still a little confused as to what exactly I need; the HAL MS-3 Music Server, the dspMusik DSP crossover, or both?    :duh:

Thanks,    :thumb:

Stimpy