Sonore microRendu - Ethernet to USB output

mr_bill

Re: Sonore microRendu - Ethernet to USB output
« Reply #20 on: 3 May 2016, 09:23 pm »
Does that 'direct' USB adapter come with the micro allowing you to bypass a cable and just plug directly into the rear?  (off color description)

zybar

« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2016, 09:35 pm »
Does that 'direct' USB adapter come with the micro allowing you to bypass a cable and just plug directly into the rear?  (off color description)

Yes.

Right now I am using that adapter and a power supply from my UpTone Audio Regen. 

Tomorrow I will try an iFi power supply and see how that helps things.

In the coming days I will try a few different usb cables in place of the stock adapter.

George

sts9fan

« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2016, 10:04 pm »
Will this work with a Benchmark DAC2?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2016, 10:44 pm »
Hmm....I wonder if the microRendu would be an improvement over my maxed out SB3 with Blackgates, sonicap platinums,etc and pulse transformer on the digital out?

zybar

« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2016, 11:34 pm »
Hmm....I wonder if the microRendu would be an improvement over my maxed out SB3 with Blackgates, sonicap platinums,etc and pulse transformer on the digital out?

My guess is yes.

In my systems, my maxed out SB was outclassed by many other products over the last 4-5 years.

Digital has been evolving so quickly...it's tough to stay near the top for a long period of time.

What USB DAC are you using?

George

jtwrace

« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2016, 11:56 pm »
I'll be able to try my µRendu with the UpTone Audio JS-2 and Vinnie Rossi LIO ultracap powered mod that he does.  Looking forward to it! 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #26 on: 4 May 2016, 01:23 am »
My guess is yes.

In my systems, my maxed out SB was outclassed by many other products over the last 4-5 years.

Digital has been evolving so quickly...it's tough to stay near the top for a long period of time.

What USB DAC are you using?

George

The DAC is an approx. 10 year old Mhdt Constantine with some simple mods. Its not USB.

I think that the DAC is a major weak point in my rig although the system sounds pretty good with its elderly, solid state NOS DAC. I also have a vinyl rig as a reference albeit with an old, moderate quality cartridge. 
I guess its time to concentrate on the input.   I've thought about replacing it for years.:) DAC first.

zybar

« Reply #27 on: 4 May 2016, 01:26 am »
The DAC is an approx. 10 year old Mhdt Constantine with some simple mods. Its not USB.

I think that the DAC is a major weak point in my rig although the system sounds pretty good with its elderly, solid state NOS DAC. I also have a vinyl rig as a reference albeit with an old, moderate quality cartridge. 
I guess its time to concentrate on the input.   I've thought about replacing it for years.:) DAC first.

The microRendu is for USB DACs.

I would guess even some relatively inexpensive DACs would sound better than a 10 year old one.

George

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #28 on: 4 May 2016, 02:01 am »
The microRendu is for USB DACs.

I would guess even some relatively inexpensive DACs would sound better than a 10 year old one.

George
I've been considering switching to an USB system, selling the SB/Constantine, switching to Jriver, buying Gustard x20 perhaps Schitt...there's no end to it. :green:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2016, 02:10 am »
So can this be used with a Auralic Aries or would it replace the Aries? Just curious, as I stream off a Mac Mini with an Aries.

TomS

« Reply #30 on: 4 May 2016, 02:18 am »
So can this be used with a Auralic Aries or would it replace the Aries? Just curious, as I stream off a Mac Mini with an Aries.
Replaces the Aries, at least for USB output only.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2016, 02:57 am »
Will this work with a Benchmark DAC2?

It works with almost all USB audio devices...including the Benchmark Media USB DACs.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2016, 03:05 am »

Why get rid of the DAC when you can use the microRendu and a good USB to SPDIF interface?

sts9fan

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2016, 12:37 pm »
It works with almost all USB audio devices...including the Benchmark Media USB DACs.

Great, I am very excited for this product.  Its nice to see a well thought out renderer that does not cost $3k. 
So even though some/many USB DACs require drivers this will work?  Forgive my ignorance.  Is that the same for the SOSE?

zybar

« Reply #34 on: 4 May 2016, 12:46 pm »
Why get rid of the DAC when you can use the microRendu and a good USB to SPDIF interface?

Because the DAC is 10 years old...   :scratch:

George

Cappy

« Reply #35 on: 4 May 2016, 04:14 pm »
That's not just any ten year old DAC, it's a pretty cool DAC with R2R TDA1545A chips.

I think the point being made is that actually might work better to upgrade the "transport" first, i.e. get a microRendu and an SPDIF converter.  Then one could compare the old DAC to new ones and see if there is an improvement.

But who knows, you could be right too...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #36 on: 6 May 2016, 01:25 am »
Trying to catch up on all the reading on CA about the microRendu but still trying to figure how it connects and works. I currently use an Aries that streams off a Mac mini that is connected by wifi and the Aries goes to a Lampizator L4 via USB. The router is on the other side of the house.

How would I hook the Rendu up if I can at all? Between the Aries and Lampi I got an Intona and a Regen so the thought of removing several items sounds intriguing.

TomS

« Reply #37 on: 6 May 2016, 01:31 am »
Trying to catch up on all the reading on CA about the microRendu but still trying to figure how it connects and works. I currently use an Aries that streams off a Mac mini that is connected by wifi and the Aries goes to a Lampizator L4 via USB. The router is on the other side of the house.

How would I hook the Rendu up if I can at all? Between the Aries and Lampi I got an Intona and a Regen so the thought of removing several items sounds intriguing.
You'd need either a wired ethernet cable from your router directly to the microRendu or a wireless bridge to connect to it via a short ethernet cable (e.g. Apple Airport Express or similar). No need for the Regen as it's sort of built in.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #38 on: 6 May 2016, 01:35 am »
You'd need either a wired ethernet cable from your router directly to the microRendu or a wireless bridge to connect to it via a short ethernet cable (e.g. Apple Airport Express or similar). No need for the Regen as it's sort of built in.

So how does it play my library on the Mac mini?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 6 May 2016, 02:11 am »
So how does it play my library on the Mac mini?
You run any of the compatible server on it. Roon, JRiver, Logitech Media Server, MinimServer, etc...