New Venuette model

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: New Venuette model
« Reply #60 on: 19 Sep 2009, 02:13 pm »
V-1 was supposed to be Venue but that name was taken...later, when the V-2 came out, it was dubbed Venuette as it is a scaled down version (smaller Coaxial driver, no servo subs)

:duh: still confused.  sorry

So is there a V-1 and V-2?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #61 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:18 pm »
Yes.  There are two different speakers, the V-1 and V-2.   :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:22 pm »
Yes.  There are two different speakers, the V-1 and V-2.   :D

OK.  Thank you.  So which is the "best"?  Why can I not find any info on the GR website?  Are the the same design but one is just smaller?

JohnR

« Reply #63 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:29 pm »
The V-2 is smaller and costs less.

This is the original thread on the V-1:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61023.0

sl_1800

« Reply #64 on: 22 Sep 2009, 04:31 pm »
I have had more time with the Venuette.  I moved it around a little such that I'm sitting at a perfect equilateral triangle and the imaging is to die for, unreal.

Did I mention you only need a small amp to power these???  I have been looking for better amplification for my Orion's and it's really tuff to do and stay on a budget.  Even buying used on Audiogon I can still buy a pair of Venuette's for less than used amplification for my Orion's.

the7comeback7kid

« Reply #65 on: 22 Sep 2009, 04:36 pm »
Sounds like you want to just keep the V-2's :wink:

sl_1800

« Reply #66 on: 24 Sep 2009, 02:47 am »
I picked up the FMod inline high pass filters from Danny today.  I will put them inline with my amp tomorrow night and see how they sound.  I'm starting to think they will help relieve some stress on the mid which could open things up and bring this speaker to another level.

sl_1800

« Reply #67 on: 26 Sep 2009, 02:45 am »
Final listening session with the Venuette at my house.

First let me say it has been a real privilege to listen to these great speakers in my home for the past two weeks.  I really appreciate Danny having faith in me to care for and evaluate his newest speakers.  I'm sad to say I have to return them tomorrow.  Be sure to check them out at RMAF if you get the chance to go.

And now the rest of the story.  The Veneutte sounds best to my ear when used with the Fmod filters inline with my amp.  The Fmod's that Danny sent are a 70Hz high pass which, when placed inline with your amp, will take some of the bass load off of your amp and out of the midrange driver.  Of course it has no effect on the bass of the Venuette since they have their own separate bass amps.  What was the effect of all this?  The midrange has a little more detail now, and sounds even more open.

I have had 2 other listeners over to the house to compare the Venuette to my Orion's.  Every time one listener would prefer the Venuette for it's midrange clarity and lack of any midrange glare or harshness.  The other would always pic the Orion for it's bass detail and coherent sound stage.  Me, well I hear things I like in both speakers, the highs and bass of the Orion and the midrange of the Venuette.

We all agreed if you heard these speakers in different rooms with different equipment at different times...........you would be hard pressed to pick which was which.  So really the best way to hear the differences I have stated is hearing them side by side.

I know many of you have enjoyed Danny's AVO series, NX series and the OB series of speakers.  the V series is just another evolution of his designs that is going to be big sellers, they really are that good.  Listen  and enjoy.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #68 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:27 pm »
Very well written and balanced review Steve.   :thumb:

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:30 pm »
So the big question is which do you prefer?  Venuette or the Orion?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #70 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:37 pm »

Based on sl_1800's posts, "I think" that he clearly feels that both are excellent speakers and that each speaker has certain qualities that sound a little better than its competitor.  There was no clear "winner", rather he would be happy with either speaker.

All of that being said...one speaker left and one stayed.  Doesn't that say which he prefers?

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:40 pm »

All of that being said...one speaker left and one stayed.  Doesn't that say which he prefers?

George

Not really, he owns one and one was being borrowed. 

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #72 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:45 pm »
"I think" that he clearly feels that both are excellent speakers and that each speaker has certain qualities that sound a little better than its competitor.

Just a note, I don't see them as competitors in any way really, even though it's an interesting comparison.

The V1, or even "Super V" may be closer to a fair fight with the Orion IMO. :)

sl_1800

« Reply #73 on: 26 Sep 2009, 01:09 pm »
I do hope to compare the V1 with my Orion's after the RMAF show.  I can tell you from my brief experiences with the V1, it has bass to die for, so much so I  built a open baffle sub with 2 of the GR 12" Servo woofers.  The bottom end on the Orion paled in comparison to the V1.  With just one of these subs in my system it really has brought the the sound of drums and pipe organ into a new realm that I have never had in a system.  Oh I wonder what 2 more could do???? aa

HT cOz

« Reply #74 on: 26 Sep 2009, 02:06 pm »
Sounds like a hybrid is in the works a Vrion.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #75 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:41 am »
Nice review!

As an owner of the V-1 it would really be a treat to listen to the Orions.

I have had many people over to hear these, I love to watch their faces

as the first notes come to life.

Truly a world class design.

Danny Richie

« Reply #76 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:48 am »
For you V-1 owners....

After listening to the Super-V's for a little while today, I decided to line the insides of the subs section with No Rez. It tightened up the bass response quite a bit, even with 1.25" thick side panels. It seemed to solidify the imaging some as well too.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #77 on: 5 Oct 2009, 01:46 am »
Oops. Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2009, 03:01 am by sfdoddsy »

ichillpill

« Reply #78 on: 6 Oct 2009, 05:46 am »
I read good things about the Super V's at RMAF, but how about the Venuette? Looking forward to comments about them  :D

mikeb

« Reply #79 on: 6 Oct 2009, 01:46 pm »
That's what I'm eager to hear about. I see they were located in a different room and powered by the gear in the Virtue Audio room. Also sharing time with many other speakers. Maybe they didn't get powered up too often  :(