MTM height question

JWCoffman

MTM height question
« on: 21 Jan 2021, 06:47 pm »
I just ordered my X-MTM's from Danny :D and will be building my own boxes :o.  Looking at the plans I think I want to get the tweeter height a few inches higher than the plans call for to get them more in line with our center channel and avoid some potential furniture issues.  I am taking into account the fact that a base with spikes will add a few inches to the cabinet plans.  The question is whether I can just make add some dead space at the bottom of the MTM box that I can fill with sand (like the X-SLS), or should I make a separate stand for the speaker to stand on?  My guess is that the former would work fine, but would that negatively affect the dynamics?  It would certainly make an already heavy speaker even heavier.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: MTM height question
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2021, 07:11 pm »
It should work just fine, esp after filling the extra space with sand or cat litter.

JWCoffman

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2021, 05:13 am »
It should work just fine, esp after filling the extra space with sand or cat litter.
Thanks Hobbs.  I figured as much, but thought I'd check here first.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2021, 03:10 pm »
Highly recommend setting the tweeter at listening ear height to avoid cancellation between the midrange drivers.

JWCoffman

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2021, 05:38 pm »
Highly recommend setting the tweeter at listening ear height to avoid cancellation between the midrange drivers.
That should end up being the case.  My ear height on our couch is about 44" which is where the center channel sits.  The Danny's plans set the tweeter height at about 39" if you add ~3" for a base and spikes.  My plan is to add an additional 5" to the bottom.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2021, 07:56 pm »
JLM's recommendation is a good one.

But if your seated ear level is that high then go for it. You can add a little dead space at the bottom for a sand filled cavity.

JWCoffman

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2021, 09:30 pm »
Thanks for the input Danny.  I had to go down and measure again since I didn't think of my ear height as being particularly high.  Gald I did because I found it's actually closer to 41", so I'm cutting down the plans by a few inches.  Something about measure twice?
Good thing I haven't started cutting MDF yet.