Sony HAP Z1ES Red Wine Audio Level 2 Mod. Impressions.

Afterimage

I'm getting close to 100 hours on mine.  While there still be some more burn in, any additional improvements is just gravy at this point.   In other words, it sounds really good!!  I have the DSD on the whole time.  I love having a one box simple solution like the Sony HAP Z1ES in my system.   

Having owned several cd players and server/DAC combos, The Sony HAP Z1ES Level 2 Mod is the first source that I have had that is the best all around performer.  It has been my experience that recording quality has a huge impact on sound.  Since I have a lot of pop/rock recordings, and am a big fan of post punk and modern bands that play that genre, a lot of the recordings are thin and harsh/hard.  Trying to play those on a high end system can be frustrating.  Most of the server/DAC combo's I have tried are really good with good recordings and not so good with the others.   With the Sony HAP Z1ES, the enjoyment of my system is not limited to just the good recordings.  The thin and hard recordings don't sound spectacular, but they sure are a lot more enjoyable. 

One thing I really value is smoothness, but I don't want to sacrifice, things like detail and extension either.  With the Red Wine Level 2 mod, I am getting the best of both worlds.  It is really helping the rest of my system show it's stuff.   I have really nice gear (my opinion :D) that is playing well together now.  In addition to the smooth, listenable sound, I am getting a nice stage, air, space, and lively but not shouty sound.  That is a lot of positive audiophile description terms for sure, but that aside, the biggest compliment I can give the Red Wine Audio Level 2 Mod is that it draws me into the music.  When I sit down to listen, my mind is not wondering, I am engaged.  That means a lot fun and enjoyment.   I am smitten with the Sony HAP Z1ES level 2 mod.  The neat thing is there is still the level 3 out there, there is still tube rolling.  How good can it get?  Congrats Vinnie, job well done!!!

System
Sony HAP Z1ES Red Wine Audio Level 2 Mod>>>Herron Audio VTSP 3A (RO2) preamp>>>Burmester 911 MKIII power amp>>>Elac FS 249 BE speakers. 

firedog

Re: Sony HAP Z1ES Red Wine Audio Level 2 Mod. Impressions.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2014, 05:36 am »
Interested in knowing how you and other users are faring with the software. I'm presently a JRiver/JRemote user, and one of my hesitations about switching to the SONY is that you are locked into their UI/software.

So how is the playback/use experience? Anything missing that really bothers you?

Thanks

Afterimage

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2014, 01:41 pm »
Interested in knowing how you and other users are faring with the software. I'm presently a JRiver/JRemote user, and one of my hesitations about switching to the SONY is that you are locked into their UI/software.

So how is the playback/use experience? Anything missing that really bothers you?

Thanks

The app. Is Pretty user friendly.   Jriver is more sophisticated.   You won't
Be able to view and use stuff like Hulu and Netflex with the Sony.  I don't see why you can't
Keep Jriver for its uses in addition to the Sony app.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2014, 01:38 am »
Thanks for posting your impressions.  It's good to hear someone with a very high quality system has praise for RWA Sony to those of us considering buying one.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2014, 02:35 am »
Hi Afterimage,

Many thanks for posting more of your RWA-Z1ES-2 impressions!

Nice system and I'm glad you find the RWA-Z1ES-2 right and home with the rest of your components, and is
making MUSIC that draws you IN!  :singing:

Hi Firedog,

Just my opinion:   I really like the Sony App (I'm using it on an iPad).  It's very clean, responsive, and hasn't shown me any glitches.  It is also visual pleasing.  For example, it seems to pick a color that is mostly present in the album artwork and use it as a background color for that album.  Visually, it works and is very pleasing to my eyes.  Sorting by Artists, Albums, Songs works fine, and I like how you can see the file type.  I also like how you can turn ON/OFF DSD Remastering and DSEE on the fly via the App.  Even controlling the volume (if you have it save the remote command if your preamp or integrated) seems to work fine from the App.

So in short, I don't miss using my Mac at all.  I find the Sony simplifies everything, and many times I still go up to the Z1ES and manually select my music.  It is very intuitive and responsive.  And I don't have to think about software like Amarra, Audirvana, updates, etc.  It just plays everything at the correct bit/sampling rates, and does a fine job at it!  :)

Vinnie

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2014, 04:31 pm »

So in short, I don't miss using my Mac at all.  I find the Sony simplifies everything, and many times I still go up to the Z1ES and manually select my music.  It is very intuitive and responsive.  And I don't have to think about software like Amarra, Audirvana, updates, etc.  It just plays everything at the correct bit/sampling rates, and does a fine job at it!  :)

Vinnie

Vinnie,

Could you compare your mac to the Hap regarding sound quality? I'm currently using a mac mini with Audirvana, a M2tech Evo stack and a Metrum Octave dac. I'm very curious how these compare as I'm building an out building audio room and will be needing another music server.

Thanks,

Greg

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2014, 05:17 pm »
Vinnie,

Could you compare your mac to the Hap regarding sound quality? I'm currently using a mac mini with Audirvana, a M2tech Evo stack and a Metrum Octave dac. I'm very curious how these compare as I'm building an out building audio room and will be needing another music server.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Are you referring to the Mac vs. stock Z1ES, or modded?

The sound of the Mac based system will depend on the dac used.  If we are talking about a dac(s) that I have listened to (other than a RWA dac), I don't wish to post comparisons with a competitor(s) on this forum. 

What I will say is that the RWA-Z1ES-3 is the best sounding source I have had the pleasure of listening to!  It is such a cliche, but I am really hearing hidden nuances,  details, spatial cues, etc. in the music for the first time.  And it's not just about getting amazing detail and resolution - there is seriously good tone with this mod, as well as great bass response, a huge sense of 3D space, and so much more.  The dual mono tube output stages deliver - big time!  The cleaner power feed to all parts of the Z1ES also really make it a different animal, and I'm totally hooked on what I am hearing.  I plan to use it at my next show (probably Capital Audio Fest, followed by the New York Audio Show) for others to listen to.

I've heard some really good dacs before (including the Bellina PRO) with Mac (running Audirvana).  I've heard some that cost over 4x more than the Bellina PRO.  I have a few good dealers and have listened to a variety of products in their showrooms.  Again, I don't feel good about posting names of these products.  I can do feel comfortable saying is that I am very confident that the RWA-Z1ES-3 can compete well with any of them.

In a few weeks, hopefully we'll see more feedback of those who own it or have listened to it and compared it to what they've heard and were using. 

Vinnie

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:09 am »
Hi Greg,

Are you referring to the Mac vs. stock Z1ES, or modded?

The sound of the Mac based system will depend on the dac used.  If we are talking about a dac(s) that I have listened to (other than a RWA dac), I don't wish to post comparisons with a competitor(s) on this forum. 

What I will say is that the RWA-Z1ES-3 is the best sounding source I have had the pleasure of listening to!  It is such a cliche, but I am really hearing hidden nuances,  details, spatial cues, etc. in the music for the first time.  And it's not just about getting amazing detail and resolution - there is seriously good tone with this mod, as well as great bass response, a huge sense of 3D space, and so much more.  The dual mono tube output stages deliver - big time!  The cleaner power feed to all parts of the Z1ES also really make it a different animal, and I'm totally hooked on what I am hearing.  I plan to use it at my next show (probably Capital Audio Fest, followed by the New York Audio Show) for others to listen to.

I've heard some really good dacs before (including the Bellina PRO) with Mac (running Audirvana).  I've heard some that cost over 4x more than the Bellina PRO.  I have a few good dealers and have listened to a variety of products in their showrooms.  Again, I don't feel good about posting names of these products.  I can do feel comfortable saying is that I am very confident that the RWA-Z1ES-3 can compete well with any of them.

In a few weeks, hopefully we'll see more feedback of those who own it or have listened to it and compared it to what they've heard and were using. 

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

I was referring to the stock unit, guess I should have used a different thread. I'm also very interested in this mod however but was looking for a base comparison as a starting point.

Your point of waiting until more people can chime in is a good one, I'm looking forward to the comparisons.

Thank you for your response,

Greg