SACD ripping using a PS3

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #340 on: 15 Feb 2016, 10:44 pm »
Is the flash drive formatted for Fat32?  And yes,. the first question that comes up when starting the ripper is something like "network daemon yes or no".

strafer

« Reply #341 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:50 am »
Yes, the drive is formatted FAT32, and the sacd_log is the only thing that shows up after the ripping is done.  Using a 32Gb flash drive.  When running SACD Ripper, it gives you a choice of X to start ripping, or "O" to change output.  I can see area 0 on the SACD is 2 channel, and area 1 is 5.1 channel, but nothing I press seems to change anything, but pressing "X" does start the ripping process.

Can SACD Ripper save the file to another location??

TIA

gregor

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #342 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:56 am »
If you have access try a smaller drive to test.  A few folks have reported issues with 32 and 64GB drives.

strafer

« Reply #343 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:52 pm »
Shazam!  Who would'a thunk it?  I knew that 64Gb drives and up were problematic, but never had any difficulty with 32Gb flash drives in any application. So thanks for the hint.

gregor

MikeDC

« Reply #344 on: 28 Feb 2016, 05:37 pm »
Sorry this is a little off-topic, but is there a way to play the DSD stream through the USB port?  I have a USB DAC that can play DSD and would love to use this as a direct input to it.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #345 on: 28 Feb 2016, 05:43 pm »
Sorry this is a little off-topic, but is there a way to play the DSD stream through the USB port?  I have a USB DAC that can play DSD and would love to use this as a direct input to it.

Through the PS3 USB port?  No.

MikeDC

« Reply #346 on: 28 Feb 2016, 06:44 pm »
Only through HDMI to a SONY - Compatible receiver/DAC/etc.?

Phil A

« Reply #347 on: 28 Feb 2016, 08:31 pm »
Only through HDMI to a SONY - Compatible receiver/DAC/etc.?

This site should help:
http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html

and this one give general audio set-up and indicates the audio output instructions:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiomulti.html
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiooutput.html

J-Pak

« Reply #348 on: 8 Jun 2016, 01:35 pm »
Is any particular model of the SACD ripping capable PS3 less prone to over heating than another?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #349 on: 8 Jun 2016, 02:08 pm »
Is any particular model of the SACD ripping capable PS3 less prone to over heating than another?

I'm only used to the CECHA, but I've ripped thousands of SACDs over the past five years and make sure I don't try to do too many in one session (maybe 10).  My PS3 has plenty of air space (and now it's on top of a rack/bookcase so plenty of air).  There are fan mods folks have done, too. 

strafer

« Reply #350 on: 9 Aug 2016, 09:53 pm »
Ted:
I'm reading from your Ripping Guide Ver 4.0 (2-25-14).

I'm presently using a USB stick to move ISO files to my Mac to convert to DSD with the Sonore iso2dsd program.

I wanted to try to use the networking and use the SACD Ripper server mode.  The guide gives instructions on how to run it on the PC, but not for the MAC.

Any tips?  I know enough about networking to be dangerous, but that's about it.

thanks in advance,

strafer

strafer

« Reply #351 on: 9 Aug 2016, 10:42 pm »
Um, I just noticed the Server Input on the ISO2DSD program, and inserted the ip address and port of the PS3.

I get this failure message:

failed to connect
libsacdread: can't open 192.168.1.032 for reading.

Funny, because I got it to work on the PC.

regards,
strafer

dminches

« Reply #352 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:57 pm »
Does someone have the current instructions for updating the firmware on a PS3 for allow for ripping?  My unit is already on 3.55 so it doesn't want to upgrade.  The guide says to read lines 43 - 60 but the link to those lines is broken.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #353 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:19 pm »
Does someone have the current instructions for updating the firmware on a PS3 for allow for ripping?  My unit is already on 3.55 so it doesn't want to upgrade.  The guide says to read lines 43 - 60 but the link to those lines is broken.

From the broken link:
If the steps above did not work for you, then you are probably on 3.55 already.
You will have to do a recovery menu mode installation:

1: Plug a USB stick into your computer
2: Create a folder in the root of the USB stick called PS3
3: Create a folder inside the PS3 folder called UPDATE
4: Download the 3.55 OtherOS++ firmware (Gitbrew.org)
5: Move PS3UPDAT.PUP to the directory UPDATE that you just created on the USB stick
6: Plug the USB stick into your PS3
7: Power down the PS3 through the menu
8: Now press and HOLD the power button, the system will startup and shutdown again
9: Release the power button, then press & HOLD power again, you’ll hear one beep
followed by two consecutive beeps
10: Release power then follow the on-screen instructions. YouÂ’re now in the recovery menu
11: Connect the USB device and select "System Update"
12: Accept Conditions and Follow the instructions

dminches

« Reply #354 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:21 pm »
Thanks Ted.  The PS3 that I was using now freezes so I needed to buy another.  The new one is already on 3.55 so it doesn't want to upgrade to the OtherOS++ version.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #355 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:26 pm »
Did you try the recovery mode instructions?  What is the new PS3 model number?

dminches

« Reply #356 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:31 pm »
I am trying the recovery now.  I think it is working.  I will report back shortly.

dminches

« Reply #357 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:46 pm »
All good.  Extracting The Quintet - Jazz at Massey Hall now.

lawton

« Reply #358 on: 9 Feb 2017, 02:33 am »
Hi,

I am ripping my lot of SACDs to a computer file (two transports have gone bad to date).  I purchased a 3.55 unit and loaded the software and was doing well until yesterday.  At first a few discs would not be recognized, now no SACD is recognized when inserted with the ripper program running.  I reloaded all the software and had no improvement.  The unit does recognize and play SACDs in player mode, but still only just a error message "no disc inserted or no SACD present" message when trying to rip discs.  What should I do next?  Thanks for the help.

Lawton

bprice2

« Reply #359 on: 21 Mar 2017, 07:04 pm »
Ripping SACDs with a PS3 - is this still a thing?  I ask because I'm thinking about selling mine, along with a stack of SACDs.