Spatial M4

CB222

Spatial M4
« on: 24 May 2017, 08:33 pm »
Hello - I'm new to the AC and I would like to post my own review of the Spatial M4 speakers. I have waited a few months to post this since I wanted to get a better perspective of the speakers after a brief break - in period. To begin with I have had a variety of speakers in my apartment and this review is based on my experience. When the speakers arrived I set them up and decided not to expect too much - at least initially. I admit I was not prepared for this level of performance. Literally right out of the box they were better than my Proac Response 2.5s. They were better than my Martin Logan SL3s. They were better than my B&W 802 Matrix. All of which I believed to be really nice speakers - and they are ; but the M4s are IMO better. Details of recordings that I new were present but used to have to really concentrate in order to hear them are simply presented with the M4s. Bass is clearer, tighter and just more musical and enjoyable. The 45 Hz rating is deceptive insomuch the OB design has a slow rolloff and the perceived bass sounds surprisingly lower. Soundstage is greater. Favorite recordings that I thought I knew I discovered details that I never heard before. Another aspect I noticed about these speakers that they will reveal other upstream component's quality/sonic signature. I have 2 very different amplifiers. I have a Krell KAS 200s and NUforce REF9V2SE mono blocks. Both the Krell and NUforce are fabulous amplifiers which are class A and class D respectively. The M4s definitely like being driven by either amp and it is easily recognizable which one is connected. Hard to explain but it's true. Same goes for preamps. Another way to say this is that the M4s are reference speakers that can be used to evaluate other components. Right now I have maybe 75 hours on them and I was told they will continue to improve. I'm not concerned. For what its worth I hope this is helpful to anyone considering buying these speakers. You can't go wrong. Thanks for your interest.

mick wolfe

Re: Spatial M4
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2017, 09:08 pm »
Is this the Turbo S version?

CB222

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2017, 09:12 pm »
Yes it is. I forgot to mention that. Thank you. Glad I'm not a professional reviewer.

Whitestix

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2017, 01:02 am »
The OP and I have communicated since his M4TS arrived in his system as I am also an owner of the speakers.  I absolutely share his impressions.  After having a number of speakers in my main system over the past few years -- too many to recall, the M4's are simply the most fulfilling speakers I have had in 45 years in search of the Absolute Sound.  I never say never, but at my age, I can't imagine better sound reproduction than I am hearing from the M4's given the cost of the speakers.  Both the OP and I have relatively small listening rooms so the M4' are room-appropriate, but if you you have a more expansive room, the M3TS would give you a fair bit more LF response.   I am really enthralled with the sound of the M4TS's.  They are tube-friendly speakers, but like the OP, we both like the performance of them with more robust power.  I am driving them at the moment with the Nuforce ST10 class D amp, with 150 wpc, and it is a match made in heaven.  Cheers, Whitestix

CSI

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2017, 03:37 am »
Hello - I'm new to the AC and I would like to post my own review of the Spatial M4 speakers. I have waited a few months to post this since I wanted to get a better perspective of the speakers after a brief break - in period. To begin with I have had a variety of speakers in my apartment and this review is based on my experience. When the speakers arrived I set them up and decided not to expect too much - at least initially. I admit I was not prepared for this level of performance. Literally right out of the box they were better than my Proac Response 2.5s. They were better than my Martin Logan SL3s. They were better than my B&W 802 Matrix. All of which I believed to be really nice speakers - and they are ; but the M4s are IMO better. Details of recordings that I new were present but used to have to really concentrate in order to hear them are simply presented with the M4s. Bass is clearer, tighter and just more musical and enjoyable. The 45 Hz rating is deceptive insomuch the OB design has a slow rolloff and the perceived bass sounds surprisingly lower. Soundstage is greater. Favorite recordings that I thought I knew I discovered details that I never heard before. Another aspect I noticed about these speakers that they will reveal other upstream component's quality/sonic signature. I have 2 very different amplifiers. I have a Krell KAS 200s and NUforce REF9V2SE mono blocks. Both the Krell and NUforce are fabulous amplifiers which are class A and class D respectively. The M4s definitely like being driven by either amp and it is easily recognizable which one is connected. Hard to explain but it's true. Same goes for preamps. Another way to say this is that the M4s are reference speakers that can be used to evaluate other components. Right now I have maybe 75 hours on them and I was told they will continue to improve. I'm not concerned. For what its worth I hope this is helpful to anyone considering buying these speakers. You can't go wrong. Thanks for your interest.

I am in total agreement (and thanks for the excellent review). When I ran a retail store back in the day we sold lots of decent speakers and a few outstanding ones. Some were quite expensive. As a dealer, I hauled many of the most promising samples home for a trial. Some stayed around for extended periods but, once I identified the shortcomings, I always thought, "Someday somebody is going to figure this out". I've lived with my M4's for 6 months now. Clayton is the guy who finally figured it out.