Preamp + cables for KWA100se

khal

Preamp + cables for KWA100se
« on: 11 Aug 2011, 11:57 am »
Hi
I'm new to the forum and joined since I have just acquired a KWA100se. Was hoping that the other folks here could be kind enough to share their experiences regarding some of the more successful preamp and cable combinations around their own 100se's. I am currently hooked up to a pair of harbeths shl5s and a heil aulos. The frontend are either a marantz cd94 mk2 (modded) or a audio aero capitole mk2. The ic's and sc's are a combination of nordost red dawns and stereovox firebirds. Thank you all in advance
Khal

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Preamp + cables for KWA100se
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:13 am »
Sorry for stating the obvious but your amp was voiced with it's sibling, the wonderful Modwright LS100 preamp.

mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:59 am »
What are you hearing so far?
When I heard the amp in my system I would have have wanted to move it in the lively/open direction (just what the Modwright pre would do, from what I've read).

-Mike

khal

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:02 pm »
Hiya folks,
Thanks for the reply. In my current set up, for lack of a better word, the addition of the 100se, has improved the sense of 'continuousness' and I find it considerably more musical (or melodic) than my previous amp (an Pass x250). Voices especially sounded more natural. I found it to be an extremely transparent amp - do others feel the same? I sometimes use an old quad 606 - I find it similar in terms of tonality with the 100se being considerably more detailed.
Sorry, but my question pertaining to an alternative pre has more to do with what experiences others may have had with different preamps - I have listened to the ls 100 and thought the combi was excellent. And suggestions about interconnects and speaker cables would also be great! Thanks again to all in advance. Take care
Khal