'Best' speaker cable to use with Bryston 4B SST

Mattyboy

'Best' speaker cable to use with Bryston 4B SST
« on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:40 pm »
Hi folks...I,m fairly new to Bryston..I have used naim in the past and also cyrus for a bit..

Im after a a bit of advise ...I,m curious as to what speaker cable would work best with my 4B SST power amp...of those that have this amp what speaker cable are you using?..Hows it sound compared to others and why do you use what you have??

My current set up is : Naim CD3.5 and Flatcap power supply......ATC CA2 ( the new one..nice!)........Bryston 4B SST......ATC SCM 40..

I am looking to upgrade the CDP in the future...but for now things are staying as they are... I am currently using chord oddsey 2 speaker cable..

Cheers Matt

ian.ameline

Re: 'Best' speaker cable to use with Bryston 4B SST
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:25 pm »
Go to bluejeanscable.com

They sell the belden 10 gauge cable for 0.85 per foot.

I have my speakers bi-wired with that. It's probably overkill.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:50 pm »
That's what I have. It works very well. My speakers are single wired at the present time.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:50 am »

Hi, Mattyboy!

my 4b sst and speakers are single wired with a 'normal' sized silver/copper mixed cable. the mixed cable has a bit better sound in my opinion. but the difference is indeed not a revolution. so any regular cable would do just fine i think.

al.

Gmach1

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:12 am »
Hi
I am not trying to Hijack the thread. I am in the same boat as OP. I am going to run 4BSST,BP26 and Monitor Audio GS60.
When you say any cable what are you refering to? I was theinking about running Bi Wire are you saying it doesn't make any difference? I was going to go with the QED biwire speaker cable. Should I save the money?
Thanks

nobel

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2009, 09:15 am »

Hi Mattboy

Since you are using Chord Odyssey which i use from my 4bsst to ob1 speakers I suggest you use the Chord Anthem which is not only a perfect synergy with this cable but also brings the music to life.

AnthonyH

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:25 am »

For what it is worth I've tried Kimber 8PR, Chord Odyssey (install version) and 'el Cheapo copper wire from Maplin with my Bryston/PMC system and didn't notice any difference that I'd spend money on.

This could be down to my ears not being all that sharp or the fact that Bryston kit isn't all that sensitive when it comes to cables. It could also be that I need to look at changing cables from source to speakers for a big change.

I'd suggest going to your local dealers to get some demo cables.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Mattyboy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:49 pm »
Ok...I guess you are recommending the Bryston cable from the link you posted james..

Perhaps you could expand upon this choice a little  :| Why specifically doe Bryston recommend this cable? 

IronLion

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:08 pm »
Ok...I guess you are recommending the Bryston cable from the link you posted james..

Perhaps you could expand upon this choice a little  :| Why specifically doe Bryston recommend this cable? 

Probably because it works. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:13 pm »

Nothing exotic about them - I think it is a good quality very neutral cable at a reasonable price. These are the cables we use in the professional installations we do in studios.

james
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 07:13 pm by James Tanner »

Mattyboy

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:34 pm »
Ok thanks... :D ... Do you use it in your system James?

Is it a supplied cable from the likes of Van Damme or Van da hull...or a specific in house development?

I ask far too many questions... :roll:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2009, 10:51 pm »
Ok thanks... :D ... Do you use it in your system James?

Is it a supplied cable from the likes of Van Damme or Van da hull...or a specific in house development?

I ask far too many questions... :roll:

Hi,

I have 3 systems so I use different cables in each system but the Bryston cables are in my large room system.

They are Van Damme speaker cables that we terminate with our custom Spades and Bananas.

james

Mattyboy

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2009, 10:14 am »
I am currently running two 9 meter lengths of chord oddey 2 out to my ATC's from the Bryston 4B SST..

Do you think I could benefit sonically (of course) from using the bryston cable in much shorter runs (if so how much shorter for improvement)...with the power amp being placed closer to the speakers..I can always use a longer set of balanced interconnects from my ATC pre to reach the new power amp position?

Long winded question.. :banana piano:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2009, 12:00 pm »
I am currently running two 9 meter lengths of chord oddey 2 out to my ATC's from the Bryston 4B SST..

Do you think I could benefit sonically (of course) from using the bryston cable in much shorter runs (if so how much shorter for improvement)...with the power amp being placed closer to the speakers..I can always use a longer set of balanced interconnects from my ATC pre to reach the new power amp position?

Long winded question.. :banana piano:

Hi Matty,

I have always been an advocate of short speaker leads and longer balanced interconnects - some will disagree.

james

nobel

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2009, 01:37 pm »

Bryston cables are fine if the other connections are bryston due to synergy. But if you are maintining the odyssey I suggest that you stick with their brand. AS I had this problem when mixing and matching with different cables.

Bassmann

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2009, 08:25 pm »
Hi Mattyboy

I presume you live in the UK judging by the equipment you have, me too  :wave:

I hear Belden cables are very good, I'm currently in the process of making my own power cables using Belden 83803 cable, furutech connectors and techflex sheathing. (just ordered)

I have a 4BSST along with the BP26(DA) and PMC OB1's.

I use Van Den Hul cs122 (about £10 mtr new, cheaper on eBay second hand) with Milty banana plugs, This is quite a heavy duty 2.96 mm² / 12.5  AWG silver plated, double dialectic cable that has good high current capabilities and is flexible which helps, I like to use as short lengths as poss (2 mtr in my case). I bi-wire to my tweeter and midrange and have jumper cables double wired from the midrange connector to the bass.

I find this cable sounds nice and smooth, plenty of detail and sparkle with good attack and deep bass. I've tried some QED XT400 (£20 mtr) in a tri-wire configuration using WBT 0680 spades on the amp and QED airlock on the speakers, thinking that ought to do the trick. But it sounded really bright and thin to my ears which opened up the sound too much. It didn't have the sense of power and fullness that you get with CS122, so out it came and I reverted back to the van den hul.

I haven't got access to other cables for a comparison unfortunately, but I find the CS122 has the right balance and quality's to enable me many hours enjoying the music without a thought of how the sound could be better

PMC believe "as long as you can get enough copper between power amp and speakers, you don't need to worry about the minutiae of its design"  ( HI-FI Choice, issue 292 EB1 review)

I emailed them about cable recommendations when I bought my kit, and they said:-

"cable reccommendations are notoriously difficult as all cables act rather like a crude tone control tilting the frequency balance to make the system sound either brighter i.e. more detailed, or warmer, less detailed.
Our experience with nordost cable in the past has not been a happy one and it wouldn't be our choice.
a more conventional cable for both interconnects and speaker would be preferable.
We use Van damme cables for our studio installations. It works well and doesn't have a ridiculous price tag!
We've used Chord and QED in the past and achieved good results.

I purchased a Bryston balanced interconnect at the time which the dealer sought from PMC. I was told Brystons cables originate from a British company that supplies to them (not sure if that's true) Upon receiving my interconnect I discovered that it was just a basic lead that uses professional microphone cable and basic plugs. I was charged £110 for 0.5 mtr which is way too much for what I got, so can't recommend them at that price.

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2009, 03:54 am by Bassmann »

jrc

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2009, 01:24 am »
James,  any thoughts on the Wireworld cable used at CES?  Thanks, John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2009, 02:45 am »
James,  any thoughts on the Wireworld cable used at CES?  Thanks, John

It was really "expensive"

james

Sasha

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2009, 03:10 am »

when i bought this equipment i also got the shop (shadow audio, great guys) to get me a "Bryston" balanced 0.5 mtr interconnect costing me £110 which was sourced through PMC (its a british company that supplies the cable branded as bryston to bryston apparently) when I recieved this interconnect I discovered that it was just a bog standard interconnect lead using simple (but decent i guess) microphone cable with no dielectic or any shielding of any kind. VERY disapointing and was a total ripp-off.

Do I get it right, Bryston balanced interconnects do not have any shielding?
If it is true, I would definitely like to try it.
I am not 100% certain but it would seem that I prefer balanced cables with little or no shielding, and that applies to power cables as well, for example I do not like those with heavy shielding and ferrite particles embedded in outer skin.
Not sure what you mean by no dielectric, there ought to be some, it is not bare wire?

James, could you please comment on no shielding story?