14B questions

rmurray

14B questions
« on: 3 Jul 2012, 04:37 pm »
  Can someone tell me the difference between the 15 amp and 20 amp versions of the 14Bsstsq ? Is it power capability or a sonic difference. Also , what would you consider the main differences between a 14b and a pair of 7Bs. I get the impression from some earlier posts that the 7s are faster and more dynamic. I'm trying to decide which way to replace my 4Bst. Thanks for any input.... :scratch: :?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 14B questions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2012, 04:39 pm »
  Can someone tell me the difference between the 15 amp and 20 amp versions of the 14Bsstsq ? Is it power capability or a sonic difference. Also , what would you consider the main differences between a 14b and a pair of 7Bs. I get the impression from some earlier posts that the 7s are faster and more dynamic. I'm trying to decide which way to replace my 4Bst. Thanks for any input.... :scratch: :?

Hi

There is no longer a 20 amp version of the 14B.

James

rmurray

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2012, 04:44 pm »
  Thanks James. What happened? :?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2012, 05:17 pm »
  Thanks James. What happened? :?

Not really needed with the new power supplies.

James

werd

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2012, 07:20 pm »
Not really needed with the new power supplies.

James

This is true and i can confirm that. The only real advantage to a 20 amp would be to implement in some isolation strategy keeping the 14B on its own circuit.

rmurray

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2012, 11:37 pm »
 O.K. Thanks guys.  :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2012, 11:40 pm »
  Has anyone got an opinion on that second part of the post...between tie 7B and 14's sound. This has always plagued me as well   :icon_surprised:

stereoal

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2012, 05:28 am »
Generally speaking and based on discussions of this subject in the past on this forum, the 7bs will sound slightly better. However, if space is an issue and a single unit for an amplifier is preferrable to two units, the 14b is a better choice. The price difference between the two models is not an issue because you'll spend less on speaker cables for the 7bs. The cables for 7bs can be much shorter since each amp can be placed next to each speaker. I chose the 7bs for my all-Bryston system. I could have gone with the 4b for my speakers (B&W 803D) but knew the upgrade bug would eventually strike if I did. With the 7bs, there is no upgrade bug. They sound great.
Hope this helps.

1oldguy

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm »
Generally speaking and based on discussions of this subject in the past on this forum, the 7bs will sound slightly better. However, if space is an issue and a single unit for an amplifier is preferrable to two units, the 14b is a better choice. The price difference between the two models is not an issue because you'll spend less on speaker cables for the 7bs. The cables for 7bs can be much shorter since each amp can be placed next to each speaker. I chose the 7bs for my all-Bryston system. I could have gone with the 4b for my speakers (B&W 803D) but knew the upgrade bug would eventually strike if I did. With the 7bs, there is no upgrade bug. They sound great.
Hope this helps.

I agree!!!

spinner

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:52 pm »
  Thanks again ... :thumb: