Early impressions of the NX-Oticas and H-frames

THROWBACK

Re: Early impressions of the NX-Oticas and H-frames
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jun 2016, 02:09 pm »
Gab,
I am thinking about trying the Jantzens in my GR LS-9 crossovers. But I am curious about size. If they are very much larger than the coils they replace, then I would have to come up with a whole new board. Not sure that would be worth it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #41 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:17 pm »
Ill save the rest for the video review when I cover these but I can say without reservation, I don't know of any loudspeaker at or around $4k that would even come close to what this system is capable of performing. I have heard speakers that cost as much as a car that cant compete.

Looking forward to that review. ETA?

Captainhemo

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jun 2016, 06:22 pm »
A pic of one with the new sloped triples, still haven't made a choice on grill color for the subs :scratch:

jay

bdp24

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jun 2016, 09:18 pm »
Damn, that looks professional, factory made!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #44 on: 19 Jun 2016, 10:03 pm »
Looking at Vedder's subs and Jay's subs, I didn't know there were two (or more) variations of them. What are the differences?

restrav

« Reply #45 on: 19 Jun 2016, 10:12 pm »
that is a gorgeous finish. i wish you included some pitures of the process of applying the veneer.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 19 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm »
Looking at Vedder's subs and Jay's subs, I didn't know there were two (or more) variations of them. What are the differences?

The Rythmik A370PEQ amps that drive the subs can handle a 4 ohm load. Danny's 12" OB drivers come in 8 ohm and 16 ohm versions. So you can build the sub with either two 8 ohm or three 16 ohm drivers. A third option would be two 16 ohm drivers if you thought you might want to add the third driver to each side down the road. You would give up some output vs two 8 ohm drivers but if you wanted to add that third driver later on you would only need to buy two more drivers instead of six.

Another option is driver orientation. Usually one of the drivers is oriented opposite the other(s) and wired out of phase. However you could orient all the drivers in the same direction and wire them in phase.

Ron (Vedder323) built a two driver version with opposite driver orientations while Jay built a three driver version with all the drivers oriented in the same direction.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #47 on: 19 Jun 2016, 11:08 pm »
yest another option is to use the NX800 amps (2 x 400 watt mono blocks) adn drive either 4 , or 6  12 drivers.
I haven't done any  4 or 6 driver flat packs  to date..... that  MAY change

Note, if anyone buying flat packs  is thinking of orientating  all the drivers in once direction,  pleaes let me know when we're talking so I can cut the roundover on the baffle accordindly and also  forgo the wiring  pass through on the baffle

jay

Early B.

« Reply #48 on: 19 Jun 2016, 11:17 pm »
Another option is driver orientation. Usually one of the drivers is oriented opposite the other(s) and wired out of phase. However you could orient all the drivers in the same direction and wire them in phase.

Ron (Vedder323) built a two driver version with opposite driver orientations while Jay built a three driver version with all the drivers oriented in the same direction.

What is the difference between driver orientation -- same direction vs. opposite, out of phase?? Any sonic differences? Pros and cons?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #49 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:29 am »
The Rythmik Audio HX800XLR3 works well with either a 4 or 6 stack of H-frames with the GR- Research servo subs.  Split the wiring in half and you are good to go.

Captainhemo

« Reply #50 on: 20 Jun 2016, 04:40 am »
What is the difference between driver orientation -- same direction vs. opposite, out of phase?? Any sonic differences? Pros and cons?

Well,  with  the one driver facing rearwards in either a  2 or 3 driver setup, yo uget a more even distribution of the weight.   That last pair I built, I  faced them all forwards  out of curiosity.   They  are not going tip over on you unless someone plows into one, and in that case, the  tower with the one reversed drive may also go over  :cry:

Now, I wouldn't have expected any sonic difference  but, using the  same  amps and the same drivers that were in another pair of triples I had been using, I've had to reduce the  gain onthe amps by 3 or 4 clicks and the bass seems to be even cleaner/tighter with more  ooomph behind it. I  am pretty surprised at this and was not the only one to notice the change.
I've mentioned it to Danny and beleive he will try his next set like this to see if he gets similar results

jay

Ric Schultz

« Reply #51 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:10 am »
I have been mentioning the reverse directions and saying this was "not" the thing to do.  You have drivers with their acoustic centers not together and facing different directions......always seemed silly to me.....just to get weight distribution centered.  I am glad someone finally actually listened.  My thoughts are confirmed.  When I used two of them they were on an open baffle both the same way.  My friend in Oregon has 3 on an open baffle all facing forward with great results.  See here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142235.0   This way you can align the voice coils with your main speakers if you like as well.  This is more important the higher you xover (like with wedgies, etc.). 

Captainhemo

« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2016, 03:37 pm »
Hey  EarlyB, Ric
I've  continued this over in  my sub flat pack  thread, didn't post that pic to take this thread  OT ,  was just posting a pic of the Otticas/Subs  together

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.new#new

jay

grimace

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jun 2016, 01:38 am »
Ron, nice build.  The knotty hickory with the white turned out great and thanks for taking the time to give your listening impressions.

What are you driving the NX-Oticas with?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #54 on: 1 Jul 2016, 02:35 pm »
Wind Chaser and myself had our first Audio Circle get together with Captainhemo and his business partner recently. When we walked in Wind Chaser went right to the speakers like a magnet and was absolutely smitten by the color, fit and finish, and overall look of the Oticas. I could see, "I Want These" in his every gesture. The picture of them in this thread does not do justice as to how nice they look in real life.

Upon listening I could tell the high performance quality of the system and would have to guess that these represent some of Danny's best work. Not to mention the excellent build of Captainhemo and co with their passion for high end audio and their being such gracious hosts. 

Overall I would say those lucky enough to put together this system will be richly rewarded with a very high caliber sound. I would say that you do need room behind the speakers to get the best result and for me that means at least 4' behind them. Actually that's not true, for me I would want at least 6' min. but would prefer 8', 10', or 12' if possible. But then again that is my preference for any speaker. 

The system was not optomized for the listening position we sat in. Bass was weak, imaging and integrationed suffered a bit. The couch is pulled 1/4 into the room to make space for a work area behind.  That is where the best sound was.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2016, 12:38 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

Captainhemo

« Reply #55 on: 1 Jul 2016, 04:23 pm »
Wind Chaser and myself had our first Audio Circle get together with Captainhemo and his business partner recently. When we walked in Wind Chaser went right to the speakers like a magnet and was absolutely smitten by the color, fit and finish, and overall look of the Oticas. I could see, "I Want These" in his every gesture. The picture of them in this thread does not do justice as to how nice they look in real life.

Upon listening I could tell the high performance quality of the system and would have to guess that these represent some of Danny's best work. Not to mention the excellent build of Captainhemo and co and their passion for high end audio and their being such gracious hosts. 

Overall I would say those lucky enough to put together this system will be richly rewarded with a very high caliber sound. I would say that you do need room behind the speakers to get the best result and for me that means at least 4' behind them. Actually that's not true, for me I would want at least 6' min. but would prefer 8', 10', or 12' if possible. But then again that is my preference for any speaker. 

Rocket Ronny
Hey Ron
It was a pleasure meeting both you and  WindChaser, glad you guys made the trip up. I've met a few people from AC in person now and  your comment about passion for high performance audio is a trait amongst us  all  :thumb:
I'd agree 100% abou the  space, the more the better, wish I had more !   That being said,  people can get impressive results in less than  "ideal" spaces, this stuff is probably more forgiving than people may think.
As mentioned, really enjoyed the visit man, both of you are welcome back any time !  One of us probably should have snapped a pic or  two .....

jay

mirekti

« Reply #56 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:57 am »
Where's the video?  :x ;)

Captainhemo

« Reply #57 on: 26 Jul 2016, 03:54 am »
Where's the video?  :x ;)

Funny, I mentioned that  to Don after the fact,  we  could have at least shot some pics  huh ?  None of us even thought of it :(
Michael and his wife will be here soon, we'll be sure to get some pics  this time around   :)

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 26 Jul 2016, 06:00 am »
I thought he was asking about Ron's (Vedder323/New Record Day) review. I would not expect that review for a few months. First off Ron needs to get everything fully broken in (which can take 400 hours with platinum caps) before he starts to make serious comparisons. Then he needs enough listening time to fully appreciate the speakers. Then he has to shoot and edit the video.

So it will probably be awhile yet. Be patient. Based on Ron's other reviews I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Mike

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #59 on: 26 Jul 2016, 06:45 am »
Michael and his wife will be here soon, we'll be sure to get some pics  this time around   :)

jay

Hi, Jay.

We ought to arrive in Kelowna 8/22. I'll be bringing my spanking new Don Sachs Model 2 (SP14) tube preamp with us. I'll pick it up in Nelson a couple days before. Let me know if you want to hook it up to your system. I could drop it off at your place upon our arrival (kinda like last time).

See ya soon!

Michael