Background noise from KWA100

Basil65

Background noise from KWA100
« on: 3 Dec 2012, 02:09 am »
Hello everyone. New to this site. Just got a LS100/KWA100 combo (B-stock on sale) from my local dealer. Sounds amazing with my Thiel 2.4's. Already thinking of upgrading the KWA100 to "SE". Only one problem: there seems to be a low level noise through the speakers coming from the amp. It's a slight "buzz" that sounds like transformer noise.  Switched power cords and electrical plugs, but the noise seems to stay. My Moon i5.3 does not make any background noise when plugged in to the same outlet. I'm wondering if the KWA100 is just more sensitive to the house's electrical power noise and I should look for a line filter or is it normal with this amp?

Basil65

Re: Background noise from KWA100
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:54 am »
Did a new test: unplugged everything: computer, DAC, pre-amp and amp and re-routed some wires differently. Seems to have cured the issue. Will re-try to see if it's just a "fluke" or if the problem was really that. I guess this would mean the KWA is a bit sensitive to EMI. By the way. I'm having a great time listening to the LS100 & KWA100. This is one great combo. I'm very impressed.

62Truck

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2012, 04:15 am »
Basil, glad to hear you have cured the hum.  Are you using a power conditioner?  Those can help with that, especially if you can separate the analog compnents from the digital ones.

I have read the SE is a significant upgrade from the non-SE version. Some reviewers have even said that the 100SE is better than the 150 (non-SE). 

I really want to hear the KWA100SE with Dynaudio.

planecrazy

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2013, 05:35 pm »
Hello, I am facing the same issue with my recently upgraded KWA 100SE connected to Emerald Physics CS3 MkIIs. There is constant hiss from the speakers as as soon as the amp is on after 45 second warm up and since my listening is near-field, this noise is quite distracting.

Basil65, can you tell me how you re-routed the cables to address the noise?

Basil65

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2013, 12:57 am »
Didn't do much except that I routed my speaker cable (BIS Maestro's, 4 meters in length) away from other electronics. Did the same for the interconnects. My TV, cable decoder, BD player, computer, DAC, pre-amp and amp are all close to one another. I'm suspecting the decoder for cable TV is the main culprit.