project with dual ac5's

cporada

project with dual ac5's
« on: 3 Nov 2010, 09:37 pm »
Hi Mike,
I finally decided to dismantle my ACI Alpha limited project, since we're moving across the country and at over 200lbs each, they're just too darn big and heavy to carry :( (plus my cabinet work wasn't too pretty to look at). 
I've salvaged all the parts in the hopes of building something new with them, though.  Is there any chance I could build a slim tower with just the tweeter and dual AC'5 from the alpha project and hope to have extension down into the mid 40's, or so?  Do you know roughly what kind of internal volume I would need and what I would have to change in the Alpha's mid/tweeter crossovers to achieve this (I can e-mail the crossover diagram is needed)?
Thanks so much!
Chris

Mike Dzurko

Re: project with dual ac5's
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2010, 06:47 pm »
Chris:

Those little 5s aren't meant to go much lower than about 75-80Hz no matter how large the box is. How about turning the existing speakers into a four piece system? Four lighter, easier to move boxes . . . you could use the existing crossovers.

cporada

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2010, 08:59 pm »
Thanks Mike!
I was afraid of that.  I guess it'll have to be 4 boxes... Would a T-line design perhaps get them to go any lower?
Out of curiosity, roughly where do the AC5's cross-over to the AC10's in the Alphas with their prescribed enclosure size and crossover?
Thanks again,
Chris

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2010, 02:56 pm »
Chris:

A t-line might go a bit lower, but it will take some design work, and they will be BIG.  Not sure of the crossover, guessing 150-200Hz. If I have time, I'll see if I can find the archived copy of that XC this weekend.