HD-AVP and MCH-K38 combo

rustydoglim

Re: HD-AVP and MCH-K38 combo
« Reply #20 on: 29 Oct 2015, 08:51 am »
There are two DACs in the HD-AVP/AVA.
The DAC used for Dolby decoding is very good and from Analog Device (I will find out the model #).  Home theater decoding is different from USB Audio decoding so the DAC chip can not be shared.
The USB Audio DAC used is 9018K2M, a newer and more commonly used chip than 9018S.

But the main L and R channels are shared.  The USB Audio DAC output goes to DAC RCA outputs as well as main L/R outputs.  The manual explained how to switch between home theater or USB audio decoding.

alexreusch

« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2015, 03:23 pm »
There are two DACs in the HD-AVP/AVA.
The DAC used for Dolby decoding is very good and from Analog Device (I will find out the model #).  Home theater decoding is different from USB Audio decoding so the DAC chip can not be shared.
The USB Audio DAC used is 9018K2M, a newer and more commonly used chip than 9018S.

But the main L and R channels are shared.  The USB Audio DAC output goes to DAC RCA outputs as well as main L/R outputs.  The manual explained how to switch between home theater or USB audio decoding.

I studied the manual and according to the information for 7.1 Pre Out multi-channel output on page 23, I have to use only the RCA connectors.

Questions:
1.) If I use this setup, will the HD-AVP use a different DAC than the "Stereo Speaker output/Balance XLR output" configuration?
2.) If the answer for question #1 is yes, what will be the limitations and the impact on sound quality?
3.) Does this multi-channel configuration still support DSD256 encoding over the USB-B port of the HD-AVP?
4.) Will it be possible to use Balance XLR output for L/R channels and RCA output for C/RS/LS channels in a multi-channel configuration?

The idea behind question #4 is to have a solution that works well in a multi-channel environment while watching movies and also to use the full stereo potential of the NuPrime combo when listening to music.

Sorry for all these questions, but the manual is not really clear here.

alexreusch

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2016, 10:26 pm »
I finally received the combo today. One question regarding the MCH-K38: Is there a remote control for this device? There was nothing in the package.

John Casler

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2016, 10:27 pm »
I finally received the combo today. One question regarding the MCH-K38: Is there a remote control for this device? There was nothing in the package.

Hi Alex,

No there is no need for a remote for the amp.

alexreusch

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2016, 11:29 pm »
OK, but how to turn it on/off? There is a IR receiver on the front panel, which is also described in the manual. How can I use this? Do you have any IR codes for the MCH-K38?

John Casler

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2016, 11:41 pm »
OK, but how to turn it on/off? There is a IR receiver on the front panel, which is also described in the manual. How can I use this? Do you have any IR codes for the MCH-K38?

While you can use the 12v trigger, I am referring this to Tech Staff regarding the sensor, and or codes if it is live.

alexreusch

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2016, 07:26 am »
OK, I will open a ticket.
The 12v trigger is a valid alternative, but I could not make it work. While the MCH-K38 will go into trigger mode (power button disabled) when the cable is connected, it will not do anything when turning on/off the HD-AVP. There are different trigger settings available for the HD-AVP, which one should be used to control power of the MCH-K38?

John Casler

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2016, 08:01 am »
OK, I will open a ticket.
The 12v trigger is a valid alternative, but I could not make it work. While the MCH-K38 will go into trigger mode (power button disabled) when the cable is connected, it will not do anything when turning on/off the HD-AVP. There are different trigger settings available for the HD-AVP, which one should be used to control power of the MCH-K38?

Hi Alex,

No need to open a ticket, we should be able to get answers for you here from the tech staff.

Since I was not able to get the HD AVP myself since all the stock was set to customers, I can't explore with you.

That said, I think all you need do is set the trigger menu to "ON".

As far as the Trigger mode: Set the condition for trigger out: to Always on

alexreusch

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jan 2016, 06:00 pm »
Hi John,

This are my trigger settings. There is no "ON" option. Just in the Setup under Input it states "Tirgger Mode1" (wrong spelling) and I set this to AlwaysON
I have attached a photo from my setting.

Also, you find a photo of the trigger cable used. That's the one that was in the box. The problem is, that there is no packing list, what should be included in the box. The manual also says, that a test mic for Room Equalization is in the package, but I did not find any.

alexreusch

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jan 2016, 07:04 pm »
I found a Trigger ON option and I checked that it is set for all sources.

rustydoglim

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jan 2016, 10:10 pm »
Thanks John for helping out.
Sorry, this product is new and complex, and not everybody has the knowledge. P
Please give us some time to gather the answers for you.

rustydoglim

« Reply #31 on: 20 Jan 2016, 10:23 pm »
Regarding the microphone for HD-AVP, we initially did not expect or plan to include a mic. But realise that it is a wrong decision so we are going to provide free mic for HD-AVP.  We have informed distributors and dealers. But give us some time to order the mic. It is quite expensive and not some cheap mic that we can buy online.

alexreusch

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2016, 06:37 am »
Thanks for the help. I understand the complexity of the product and no issue, if you need some more time.

BTW as a positive feedback: Both products have a very nice build quality and my first listening experience is really very positive. This looks like a very strong and promising offering you provide here. Great job!

alexreusch

« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2016, 03:43 pm »
I received the microphone (yep, really high quality) and the replacement 12v trigger cable (something was wrong on gen1 trigger cable) today! Both work great and I could improve my setup once more. Thank you for the great service! :thumb: