In the market for new speakers

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #20 on: 30 Oct 2004, 08:07 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Larry,

I read a study that said that whatever you listened to in your teen years is what you'll listen to forever.  However, I don't listen to anything now that I listened to then.  Back then, I had several hundred tapes, all of hard rock/heavy metal.  Now, I cringe everytime I hear Boston or Led Zeppelin, as they were so overplayed I can't listen to them.  I rarely listen to anything I used to listen to.  Instead, I'm looking for better musicianship and song writing, and I'm even beginning to branch out ...

ya bob, but ya forget - yure a *music lover*!  that study likely surveyed *normal* folks.  ya know, the ones that think bose rules, compressed fm radio is great, music is for backgroiund & not serious listening, etc...   :wink:

doug s.

Afterimage

« Reply #21 on: 30 Oct 2004, 10:37 pm »
I don't listen to anything to hard.  I used to be into a little heavy metal stuff around 16 or 17.  But then I went to Europe in 1985 and I was exposed to The Pyschedelic Furs, The Smiths, The Cure,  The Church, The Alarm, The Clash ect...  It was whole different kind of music than classic rock (which I still like) and the stadium rock I was listening to while growing up.  My favorites are Husker Du/BobMould/Sugar, The Church, The Replacements, Radiohead, XTC,  and some of the bands mentioned above.  I have about 300 cds, and none of them are heavy metal.

Enrico

« Reply #22 on: 31 Oct 2004, 04:18 am »
I also thought the Dalis were too polite and a bit too warm-sounding when I auditioned them. Just not enough excitement, and (to me) not a realistic sound.

My VMPS 626 don't sound much like Dali at all.

Dalis do have nice cabinets though.  :)

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2004, 12:40 pm »
Bob,

I made the transition to the darkside awhile ago but grew up with the same rock you did. But I will tell you....I just pulled out Jeff Beck Wired with Jan Hammer and it sounds like a new recording on the RM-30's. I am hearing things that I never heard before. As far as Zep goes.....get the 5.1 dvd and forget listening to this is stereo. You are at the concert and with a few drinks you are part of the concert.

I am really finding out as stated before that the "old" recordings are sounding new and fresh again. I have not listened to some stuff for at least 20 years and it is really fun to listen again.......

Where is that Mitch Ryder album now.....

lkosova

« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2004, 12:45 pm »
Afterimage,

The Replacements and Radiohead ,Mould etc will shine on these speakers, at stated before this is the stuff that I am pullling out of the "vault" to relisten to. I really wish I had these speakers when I was younger but then I would never go to class!!!! :mrgreen:

Larry

jermmd

« Reply #25 on: 31 Oct 2004, 01:13 pm »
Like Larry, I "rediscovered" my hard rock CD's with my new RM30's.  That Zeppelin DVD is awesome and the CD's are really well recorded.  I went through a stage that lasted years where I couldn't listen to heavy metal and especially Zeppelin because it was so over played on the radio.  
During my anti heavy metal stage, I discovered a wide range of musical genres that have really broadened my perspective.  I can appreciate so much now that I never could stand as a teenager (EXCEPT DISCO  :lol: ).  The music that I listened to as a teenager is still the primary music I listen to today.  It's just not the only music I listen to.

Joe M.

lkosova

« Reply #26 on: 31 Oct 2004, 03:16 pm »
Joe,

I call this "as we get older we get younger".

Only thing disco was really good for was picking up the ladies at a bar!!!! :beer:

Just remember though. Some of the "rock" recording had poor post production on them that nothing will help them. I find that most "rock" recording don't give me a "you are there" feel as jazz recording do but they are still fun to listen to.

I have a 5 and 7 year old and now they love listening to my "old" music which is played in most of their "new" movies.

I had to convince my daughter that "My lips are sealed" was first played by the Go-Go's and not Hilary Duff and her sister Haliey Duff!!!! :nono:

Larry

John Casler

« Reply #27 on: 31 Oct 2004, 06:21 pm »

I think that puts me in diapers :lol:

If you want to go back a bit further (70's) You can look look at these to add a few more cuts to the mix.

Some time ago I mixed a "Classics" CD, and found the following sounded absolutley incredible:

Led Zepplin - Stairway to Heaven
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the WatchTower
King Crimson - I Talk to the Wind
Justin Hayward - Forever Autumn
Emerson Lake and Palmer - Lucky Man
Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Teach Your Children Well
James Taylor - Fire and Rain
Moody Blues - Legend of a Mind/Tuesday Afternoon/Blue Guitar
Doors - Light My Fire
Beach Boys - California Girls
Santana - Black Magic Woman
Jethro Tull - AquaLung
John Lennon - Imagine
Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Plus a few more,

The opening clairity and immediacy of the Acoustic Guitar on Stairway is remarkable.  The clean, "clear", and deep, bass guitar on Teach Your Children Well is also remarkable.

If you want a great Guitar (and really what is Classic Rock all about except great Drum and Guitar Solos :drums:  :guitar: ) Solos, plant yourself in the sweet seat and "CRANK" up AquaLung, WatchTower, and Stairway!!!! :mrgreen: I mean Hendrix and Page :rock:

Don't let me forget Carlos and his "crying" Axe :dance:

You want Spacy Synthesizer?  Get Outa here with ELP, and the Moody Blues :notworthy:

So if it was recorded well, and remasterd well, it can sound stunning on VMPS.

I have yet to find a genre that doesn't just jump out and grab you on these ribbons. :mrgreen:  (if you're heavily into rap, I would suggest a Sub)

And with great "crossover" artists like Groban and Botticelli, you can even get into Opera 8)

lkosova

« Reply #28 on: 31 Oct 2004, 07:38 pm »
John,

You musta stole my record collection.

Everything on Brain Salad Surgery is good!!!!(ELP)

Can't agree with you more on Stairway also......

As you said any good production will sound really good on the Ribbons but

ANY bad production really sound awful also.

Guess what you put in..........is what you get out....... :bawl:

Just playing some Johsua Redman- "wish" with Charlie Hadden.....Man that sounds great!!!! :D    Not Rock and Roll but that man can blow!!!!

Larry

jimmyp58

« Reply #29 on: 31 Oct 2004, 09:27 pm »
And I was gonna chime in with my kids new favorite song...Build Me Up Buttercup"!!!

Afterimage

« Reply #30 on: 1 Nov 2004, 01:39 am »
Quote from: lkosova
Joe,

Only thing disco was really good for was picking up the ladies at a bar!!!! :beer:

Just remember though. Some of the "rock" recording had poor post production on them that nothing will help them. I find that most "rock" recording don't give me a "you are there" feel as jazz recording do but they are still fun to listen to.

I have a 5 and 7 year old and now they love listening to my "old" music which is played in most of their "new" movies.

I don't know, I guess the key word in your statement is "some" of the rock recordings are so poor nothing will help them.  I think a lot of audiophiles accept their rock recordings are going to sound like crap because their systems are incapable of making them sound good.     Like I said before, my Green Mountain Europas make rock sound recordings sound greatThey are  a hell of a lot better than the Dal's for a lot less money.

lkosova

« Reply #31 on: 1 Nov 2004, 01:31 pm »
Maybe I should of said that "some". If you read my other posts you will see I said that I am taking out my "old" recordings and find new pleasures in them. "Some" rock and well as Jazz etc just sound bad. I think a bad production on a recording won't be help by the system. Plus these speakers are revealing. Bad equipment could equal bad sound but it is funny how many different types of systems that the VMPS owners have but yet all seem to "really" like their speakers.

Larry

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #32 on: 1 Nov 2004, 02:59 pm »
Afterimage,

I have been fiddling with my RM40's to get the right sound for orchestral and operatic music.  When an old college roomate came by we spun some records of Hendrix, Zeppelin and Van Halen.  When my wife an kid went out to take the dog for a walk, we really set out to displace some serious air.  RM40's rock.  Our college set up never rocked like this.  I mean even David Lee Roth sounded good.  Guitar riffs we never heard came through.  They sounded better through RM40's than what we remember in concerts (Van Halen only-- not that old).  Of course we were in much more lucid state this weekend than those concert going days in the past. :mrgreen: You want speakers that rock -- RM40 will rock with the best of them (beats Dalquist DC10's) and still give you great classical music as well!

Q_surf

« Reply #33 on: 2 Nov 2004, 11:26 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
...RM40's rock...

i've owned my RM40's for almost 3 months now.  out of curiosty i've cranked them up to ridiculous spl's multiple times but for the sake of my hearing, i still haven't taken them to a level where they were sounding 'max'd out'.

that all changed last friday night.  i had a roomful of halloween partiers and a friend asked me "just how loud can these things go?"  i was playing Crystal Method's Vegas CD - very dynamic and bass-heavy electronica.

the volume slid past previous levels as the speakers kept faithfully producing all frequencies without congestion or distortion until finally i could hear the bass was beginning to lose coherence.  at this point - there were items that had fallen off of shelves in the kitchen and bathroom.  and many of my guests were stunned. :o

some guests felt that this was louder and cleaner than any concert they'd been to.  suffice it to say i don't think i'll ever need to play them that loud again.

by the way - i am only running Odyssey Monoblocks fullrane (180w/ch) so there's even more potential on tap.

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 3 Nov 2004, 12:03 am »
Oooohhhh, Crystal Method at obscene volumes, hit me where I live!

Mark in Canada