twin center channel speakers

Brax

twin center channel speakers
« on: 31 Mar 2013, 07:14 pm »
I have a LRC for my center speaker, a set of rm40s for mains, a set of rm2s for the surrounds and a set of sealed subs to round out the system. This leaves me with an extra set of rm2s. I was thinking of using these for center channel duty. Does anyone now run a set of speakers for the center channel? I could always use just one but I thought as long as I have it, why not?

Stimpy

Re: twin center channel speakers
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2013, 09:51 pm »
Will your setup support 7.2?  Use the 2s for sides and rears?  If not, I personally would not
recommend split centers. 

A center speaker, is just that, a "center".  Based on the fact that the speaker is physically centered
to the video display.  So, unless your room is overly large, I'd stick with a single center speaker.
Otherwise, the sound will skew to either the left, plus center left, or right, plus center right, especially
if you're not perfectly centered to the TV.

Now, that's not to say that you shouldn't use the best center speaker, that you can fit into
position.  So, if it isn't too tall, a RM-2 center would be awesome!  And, I must say, it's just sick
that you have RM-2's for surrounds, as well as an unused pair of RM-2's!  There's something inherently
wrong in that!  626s maybe for surrounds.  But RM-2s, that's just sad (and I wish that I could do it too)!!!   :D

I have a LRC for my center speaker, a set of rm40s for mains, a set of rm2s for the surrounds and a set of sealed subs to round out the system. This leaves me with an extra set of rm2s. I was thinking of using these for center channel duty. Does anyone now run a set of speakers for the center channel? I could always use just one but I thought as long as I have it, why not?

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2013, 10:19 pm »
I think your listening room is > my whole frakkin house!  :duh:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm »
I know this doesn't directly apply to your situation (unless you have a huge ceiling height, massive support structure and a very understanding significant other), but I'll throw it out there anyway for general musing:

I've often wondered whether a small pair of center channel speakers would work placed both above and below the screen, so that the phantom (mono) image they produced would be placed in the center of the screen, rather than below the center, as is usually the case.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:57 am »

I think there are all kinds of reasons "NOT TO" use dual speakers for the CENTER, the most logical of course is the dreaded "comb filtering".

That said, I currently run a BCSE LRC lying on top of a horizontal RM30, and it sounds freaking incredible and dialogue and clarity are better than any other CENTER I have ever heard or used (except using an RM40 horizontally)

I would look for a way to lay them Horizontally (tweeter to tweeter) and see how it sounds.  My Guess is will be "SMOKIN" :green:

Brax

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:24 am »
I had planned on a 7.1 system but as the basement home theater has evolved, I'm staying with a 5.1 system. It doesn't allow for good speaker placment for 7.1 system.

The speakers will be behind a 150" wide AT screen so placement is not an issue.

I had the system in my living room for a little while and it sounds fantastic.
But the HT will be a larger room.

ST86

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm »
I use two ESS PS-8 speakers for my center speaker.  Yamaha DSP A1 for amplification, it allows either one or two center speakers.  Tried it both ways and for my setup using both speakers for center channel was better.

Stimpy

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:16 pm »
If that's the case, stacked RM-2s!!!  Invert the speaker on top, wire them in series, and you'll have a Super 40 column!   :thumb:

The speakers will be behind a 150" wide AT screen so placement is not an issue.