member's OB speakers

pheesama

Re: New member's OB speakers
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2010, 03:11 am »
Dear Howard,
you are perfectly welcome.

I undertand that you have to have lots of cheap R's to try out best result. As same for the L until you are there in the locker. I normally use 0.11 mH for tweeter and 1.0 mH for strong mid- or woofer.
Otherwise I use > 1.0 mH for bass weakeness woofers.
In the big TL (1 tweeter soft dome and 1 Woofer of 15 inch I use L1= 0,11 and L2 = 1.0 since that 15 incher can go quite high.

On my 3-ways OB I use L1= 0.11 mH, L2 = 5.6 mH and L3 = 10 mH since the direct constantivity horn is working  500-21000 Hz.

I do not understand how conventional x-over works i.e. 1st, 2nd order, 6-12-24 dB/Octave. So, please continue your experiments and measurement etc. 
Please let me know when you are finding yourself in the locker and how you like it compared to conventional x-over. Advantage/disadvantage.

Cheers
Pheesama

hdspeakerman

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jun 2010, 12:42 am »
Pheesama,
I finished the other speaker today and I put together an identical ars crossover with the exception of the large coil.  I used a 1mh on the second one and had a 1.8mh on the first.  They sound very different but neither are bad.  I guess I need to get the coils and many resistors from 4 to 12 and keep trying combinations until I get what I want.  I looked at my parallel crossover with the same woofer and it uses a 1.25mh.  I am going to the tent sale at PE in Springboro, Ohio in a couple of weeks and will try to stock up for an ARS test kit.  With no measuring capabilities I like to be able to do something.  I also have a couple of Rane electronic crossovers that I have had a lot of fun with.  I will be back when I have more news. 
Howard  :)

pheesama

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:56 am »
Hi Howard,

What do you use for your tweeter? as they recommended 0.11 mH?

Please, tell me about listening. Do you have any problem at the cross sections between tweeter and woofer? Or do thay blended well in one piece?

Would you consult that some one of yours from PE who has measuring gear to run some measurement?

Sorry for toomany question at one time!

hdspeakerman

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jul 2010, 02:10 am »
Pheesama,
Never too many questions.  I used the Seas 27TDFC/TV just because I had it.  The other speakers I am comparing have the Seas 25AFC/G (with parallel x over)Same woofer; a Def Tech 5 1/4".  I used a .10mh, 1mh. Solen 25mf cap and 8 ohm Dayton resistor.

Both speakers seem to blend well but one has a lot more detail than the other. I like the sound from the speaker that has the 1.8mh better than the one with the 1mh.   I am going to the tent sale at PE in a week and I hope to meet a couple of fellow diy nuts and discuss the measuring.  I have mics,  sound card,etc.  but a poor computer.  I keep getting compatibility errors.  Something wrong with my XP updates.  I cannot get service pack 3 to load.  I have to clean up my lab tonight as my wife is coming home from a weeks vacation tomorrow.  Also at PE I am hoping to be able to buy a wide range of inductors from 1 to 2.25mh so I can try different values.  I hope to mount things to a small board that will facilitate the component swapping.  Thanks for your interest and encouragement.  It is nice to be able to discuss with some one.
Howard :)

pheesama

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jul 2010, 03:36 am »
Dear Howard,
Please note that I never use L greater than 1.5 mH in 2-ways constalation since there will be shortage of mid and upper mid range. But, please do try and good luck

Pheesama

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #25 on: 1 Jul 2010, 09:46 am »
Hi Pheesama,

I really enjoy looking at your speaker pics. Is the 3 way closed box speaker your favourite ?

I looked at the acoustic reality website. The crossover will not work for all speakers. In fact I do not recommend it at all. Some woofers will have cone breakup in 1-2Khz region and that crossover does not solve it. If you use that crossover when using Accuton ceramic 6.5 midbass, you will run out of the room screaming.This is because one of their 6.5inch woofer has a 7dB peak at 2kHz !!

This calculator is more accurate and you can adjust to different values :
http://www.mh-audio.nl/spk_calc.asp

If you need any help with crossover values pls let me know!

pheesama

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:52 pm »
Dear Chlorofille,

1000 Thanks for very useful link. And your goodwill gesture will be highly valued. I hope for the best that I shall not come to get one of that fiasko speaker units you mentioned.
I do not have much choice with speaker units offered in my country so I grasp whatever speaker units into my reach.

The 4-ways is one of my favourite as far as modern speaker units technology concerns. My all time passion stil belongs to the 3-way OB with 2 x 15 inchers and a constant directivity horn per box. The cleanliness and the dynamic response is unbeatable. Not by modern speaker units I posses.

Hope to hear from you soon....bye for now

audiotone

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2010, 08:37 pm »

the black speakers are OB's. Each Ob contains 1 direct constantivity horn, 1 magneto -static tweeter and 2 x 15 inchers (from PA made in China). A 15" woofer has sensibility at 97 dB. so that makes 100 dB. The baffkes are 120 High and 60 wide (in cm.) made of 25 mm. MDF

do you mean Constant Directivity Horn?
I like your OB s...
what horn did you use?
what type of chinese 15 inch are these?
I would like to try that for myself...

kind regards,

Tony

pheesama

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2010, 11:55 am »
Dear Tony,

Yes! I mean the  Constant Directivity Horn that you may associate them with those pieced in JBL 4430 Monitor.

That makes two of us. These OB are my favourite speakers I ever built.

The drivers are exclusively made for  us (my friend is owner of car loudspeaker system and he is the one who deals with the Chinese manufarturer). It made of paper including the surrounds. The edge of surrounds are enforced with silk .

How would you be able to try them? Coming here and get them? Otherwise, please advise.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2011, 12:19 pm by pheesama »

audiotone

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jul 2010, 12:27 pm »
Dear Tony,

Yes! I mean the  Constant Directivity Horn that you may associate them with those pieced in JBL 4430 Monitor.

That makes two of us. These OB are my favourite speakers I ever built.

The drivers are exclusively made for our local NPE. It made of paper including the surrounds. The edge of surrounds are enforced with silk .

How would you be able to try them? Coming here and get them? Otherwise, please advise.

Thanks for the reply...
Shame these 15 inchers are not for sale regularly...

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2010, 01:14 pm »
Pheesama,

I would have to go to Thailand to hear your speakers !!  :lol:
Would be fun if I could get hold of those 15'' monsters to mate with a horn tweeter to form a 2 way speaker. Certainly something different from my standard 2 way with 6.5inch woofers. =p