microRendu power connector takes things up to 11

Theobetley

Re: microRendu power connector takes things up to 11
« Reply #80 on: 15 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm »
It is not ridiculous if you already have a Regen and you just want to try.  Also why not try anything that might improve your sound. Nobody is forcing you or anybody to try this.

mirekti

« Reply #81 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:03 pm »
Also why not try anything that might improve your sound. Nobody is forcing you or anybody to try this.
j

Each time one puts something in the chain the sound will change. Such thing is many times presented as something better which is...
...one other funny thing can be corelated with photography. In many cases best colors are from that camera that renders them most pleasently, not the most precise one. I belive the same goes with the sound.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #82 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:18 pm »
I could leave my finger on it for about five to seven seconds.  It's probably 140-ish fahrenheit.  It did this a while ago and then it stopped.  Had no difference how well ventilated it was, but I switched iFi power supplies and that helped.

The heating issue seems to be a little bit better.  I am still powering it with the iFi iPower cord, and it's still hot-ish but not scalding.  I changed out the power conditioner cord and maybe that helped, who knows.  Anyhoo it's up and running currently.  (har har.)

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #83 on: 16 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm »
reinforcing that I'm not the only one that's having a problem running the microrendu with the iFi power supply and it getting too hot:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/10/sonore-at-rmaf-2016-talisker-taste-on-a-teachers-budget/

This is an interesting solution especially if one needs to power multiple devices:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/10/wyred-4-sound-tease-ps-1-modular-linear-psu-streamer-at-rmaf-2016/

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #84 on: 10 Nov 2016, 06:49 pm »
To the extent that I'm able to discuss issues with the MicroRendu on the board without overtly hassling them in public, I'll reiterate that my experience with this product is deteriorating.  Their customer service is excellent, but there's just something persistently wrong with my system and it's begun to be such a hassle that I'm looking for another solution.

First, it was overheating with the iPower, at least that's to which I attributed its spotty behavior.

Then, the USB input on the LIO DAC died with no explanation which of course Vinnie fixed immediately (not his fault and again not trying to subvert a guy who's in the hospital with his wife and newborn! :) )

He checked my MR and said it was working fine, which it is albeit intermittently.

This is what I have to do to get mine to work.

1) Fire up the LIO and cycle through sources
2) Power up the MR (Yes I have to unplug it and plug it back in)
3) Check my home network to see if the MR is attached
4) Go to Airport Utility to make sure my home network is complete
5) Go to the sonicorbiter app and (in this order) go to DAC diagnostics to make sure the LIO DAC is showing up, then restart Roon Ready, then run RoonReady Diagnostics. 
6) Quit and restart Roon to get the program to recognize the MR as an endpoint
7) press play
8 ) wait for the signal to not show up but the file plays
9) cycle through the LIO sources from digital to analog a few times, wait ten to fifteen seconds on each source
10) around the the third time, the signal comes through the speakers.

As you can imagine, I'm really tired of this hassle, and in the time it's taken me to troubleshoot this whole thing (maybe on and off for six months since I bought the MR) I've taught myself Linux and built two Raspberry Pi streamers that work great on the wifi network and automatically show up under Roon.  Admittedly it took me like 20h to build the first one and maybe three or four to do the second one, buying a Raspberry Pi 3 with Hifiberry digi+ top board, installing Raspbian and RoonBridge, but now that they're up they work seamlessly.  I won't comment on the sound because apparently I cannot tell the difference between the wifi Rpi3 and the ethernet hard-wired microrendu (That's for another day.)

Again, not trying to throw Sonore under the bus, and 110% supporting Vinnie's amazing product, dedication, and the best customer service I've experienced in my 40 years on this planet.

That said, has anyone else had this degree of challenge with the microrendu?

Thanks in advance

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: 10 Nov 2016, 06:52 pm »

That said, has anyone else had this degree of challenge with the microrendu?

Thanks in advance
No, as I've stated before my µRendu works perfectly everytime with my LIO.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #86 on: 10 Nov 2016, 06:53 pm »

And you don't have to power on items in a specific order?  Do you leave both units on all the time?
Thx

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #87 on: 10 Nov 2016, 06:55 pm »
duplicate post

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #88 on: 10 Nov 2016, 07:00 pm »

Same here.

George

brj

« Reply #89 on: 10 Nov 2016, 07:03 pm »
Can I suggest that the uRendu debugging conversation be broken out into a separate thread?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #90 on: 10 Nov 2016, 07:09 pm »
And you don't have to power on items in a specific order?  Do you leave both units on all the time?
Thx
I can leave it all on 24/7 and it works fine.  I can also turn the LIO off and back on and it all works fine.  My µRendu is powered by the LIO so it goes on when the LIO is powered on.  My NAS and network is powered on 24/7 so the only change is the LIO and µRendu which turns on and then it connects to the network which can be seen by logging into it.  It's flawless every time.  If your µRendu isn't connecting after one minute I'd say you have network issues.  Once the LIO is powered on and "d_3" is selected the µRendu gets power and should be starting it's boot-up process. 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #91 on: 10 Nov 2016, 07:24 pm »
I can leave it all on 24/7 and it works fine.  I can also turn the LIO off and back on and it all works fine.  My µRendu is powered by the LIO so it goes on when the LIO is powered on.  My NAS and network is powered on 24/7 so the only change is the LIO and µRendu which turns on and then it connects to the network which can be seen by logging into it.  It's flawless every time.  If your µRendu isn't connecting after one minute I'd say you have network issues.  Once the LIO is powered on and "d_3" is selected the µRendu gets power and should be starting it's boot-up process.

I had the LIO DAC MR power and had Vinnie reverse it bc I was having so many problems and figured if I got the miniDC 4ever supply that I could use it for items other than the MR.  I know the network is an issue so I hope to resolve that soon.  We are renovating our new house, gutting to the studs, and met the electrician yesterday to discuss running ethernet as well as coax, along with upgraded power outlets in the rooms I need them.

jriggy

« Reply #92 on: 10 Nov 2016, 07:47 pm »
Can I suggest that the uRendu debugging conversation be broken out into a separate thread?

And I'm wondering if it would be best suited for the Sonore circle.  :scratch:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #93 on: 10 Nov 2016, 08:18 pm »
I had the LIO DAC MR power and had Vinnie reverse it bc I was having so many problems and figured if I got the miniDC 4ever supply that I could use it for items other than the MR.  I know the network is an issue so I hope to resolve that soon.  We are renovating our new house, gutting to the studs, and met the electrician yesterday to discuss running ethernet as well as coax, along with upgraded power outlets in the rooms I need them.
How do you power the µRendu now?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #94 on: 10 Nov 2016, 09:11 pm »
And I'm wondering if it would be best suited for the Sonore circle.  :scratch:

Yes good point :)

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #95 on: 10 Nov 2016, 09:12 pm »
How do you power the µRendu now?

Mostly iPower wall wort after I changed the LIO dac back and am waiting the mini power supply

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #96 on: 10 Nov 2016, 10:10 pm »
Mostly iPower wall wort after I changed the LIO dac back and am waiting the mini power supply
Ah OK.  So the iPower is powered on 24/7 but the LIO is off and the network isn't great.  Makes sense now. 

What happens if you try these two steps:

1)  Leave the LIO on 24/7.  I bet it works fine.  Yes?

2) you reboot the µRendu using the sonicorbiter web page?  I bet it will work flawless then. 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #97 on: 11 Nov 2016, 09:53 pm »
Ah OK.  So the iPower is powered on 24/7 but the LIO is off and the network isn't great.  Makes sense now. 

What happens if you try these two steps:

1)  Leave the LIO on 24/7.  I bet it works fine.  Yes?

2) you reboot the µRendu using the sonicorbiter web page?  I bet it will work flawless then. 

YEs the iPower is plugged in 24/7 but in order to get it to be recognized by the network I have to unplug it and plug it back in.  This also happened with the DAC power supply.

The LIO works flawlessly even if it's left on 24/7.  I tend to turn the amp off so it gets a little cooler in the cabinet.

I've gone to the GUI and rebooted the MR several ways.  First, I make sure the MR pops up on my home network.  Then I go to reboot it as you show, and then I run DAC diagnostics to make sure it's seeing the DAC, then I restart RoonReady, then I run Roon diagnostics.  It will typically work when I do this, but what I'm getting at is I shouldn't have to do this power-up sequence each time I turn the whole thing on.  If I was able to leave the LIO on the whole time I guess it would be ok, but it does get a tad too hot in its cabinet.  I need to close the doors daily because otherwise my toddlers would wreak havoc.  So I know that ultimately it will better idea to put it on an open shelf out of reach and with great ventilation and a hardwired ethernet, but it will be about six months until I get into that situation.  Until then I am perplexed that my hardware is so intermittently functional.  Like I said, the homebuilt RaspPi3 wifi's into my network and automatically recognized the DAC and is recognized by Roon.  I run these on cheap wall worts and have tried them with the iPower and they don't overheat. 

Anyhoo I'll keep you posted on the progress.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #98 on: 22 Dec 2016, 07:34 pm »
Here's a new microrendu problem:  Anyone ever had it say it's playing, but no sound is coming through, and if one switches inputs from analog to digital, it plays about 0.5 seconds before going silent again?

Thx in advance.
Matthew

Vinnie R.

« Reply #99 on: 23 Dec 2016, 04:48 pm »
Hi MP,

I just replied to your email...

Vinnie