• http://www.daedalusaudio.com
something new this way comes.....
« on: 22 Jan 2017, 02:22 am »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: something new this way comes.....
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2017, 02:36 am »
Lou,

I imagine you'll need a few folks to audition these new speakers for you. I humbly (and selflessly) offer to keep them in my home (in Taiwan) for the first ten years for a truly thorough audition and long winded review.  :thumb:

Congratulations on the new baby. Are details forthcoming soon?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:13 am »
So will there be a name contest forthcoming :thumb:

Allow me to offer a much closer and far more convenient break in facility.  I will be at your door when you open Monday with a clean cargo area that is climate controlled.

Alan

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:20 am »
Will there be pricking of thumbs?  Sorry for the geeky Shakespeare joke.

aldcoll

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:27 am »
Will there be pricking of thumbs?  Sorry for the geeky Shakespeare joke.

We have already done that.  Who else but the two of us ( mresseguie and aldcoll) would drive 5 + hours one way to attend a audio get toghter. 

And we felt bad all the way as we ended up a stones throw from Lou's shop before we headed south to the house.

I do hope to be at the shop in a couple months just because :angel: :angel: :angel:

Alan

Carl V

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:30 am »
double double toil and trouble.....
you have been rewarded

fwinston

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:41 am »
Congrats on the newest addition to your line of speakers, Lou!  They look great.  As usual.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2017, 05:02 am »
They do look great and I can't wait to hear them. Maybe AXPONA???

But what I really want to know is . . .Where is the turntable? :green:

Laura

maxboy00

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2017, 09:45 am »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2017, 09:50 am by maxboy00 »

jriggy

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2017, 02:13 pm »
That definitely looks to be a bigger bass driver!

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2017, 09:01 pm »
I am all ears!

Love to hear your thought process behind the design, details and costs.

Why only one driver for each range?

-j

aldcoll

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2017, 02:50 am »
There is some limited information on Lou's Facebook my wife say's.  I am banned, no further comment needed :evil:

Alan

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2017, 04:34 am »
10" driver, no parallel sides, separate sealed and isolated crossovers and more....

About time you moved the crossovers out of the cabinet  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2017, 06:18 pm »
10" driver, no parallel sides, separate sealed and isolated crossovers and more....

About time you moved the crossovers out of the cabinet  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I know Wayne, trust me I listen :wink:
The crossovers are in a sealed compartment at the rear of the cabinet with an aluminum access cover. Sonically it is hard to say how much of an improvement this is, because we already do so much to shield our crossovers from vibration and EMI? I would say it is a subtle improvement in itself but definitely much neater and easier to work on. Should make any potential service and upgrades much less expensive.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2017, 02:57 am »
Interesting. :)

Is this a prototype or a model intended for regular production?  General dimensions? Obligatory question of price?

Any more details on the new driver?  I wonder if the bigger driver lets you run the mid and tweeter closer to wide open in regards to the crossover; 2x8 + mid x1 + tweeter x1 didn't work because the 8" driver was too efficient, but maybe the 10" gets close to the 2x8 in output with less sensitivity to better match the mid and tweeter?

The sealed crossover enclosure sounds like a great idea not just from a performance perspective but from the logistical one you brought up as far as field repair and upgrade.  :thumb:  Is this a design feature that will be reengineered into the other models?  Being able to put a "good" crossover into a speaker to hit a price point and still deliver a great product with the possibility of being able to later have a customer installable field upgrade to take things up a notch as budget allows sounds like an interesting prospect?  Regardless of all that, easily field serviceable parts without having to box and ship speakers around is always a good thing!

Interesting that the debut model with the 10" woofer shares a similar driver layout to the Pan/Muse.  Did this just happen to work out this way, or is this driver configuration developing to uncover yet untapped potential in the general design?

(and I've been digging the speakers I've seen photos of as of late with the walnut showing some aggressive lighter heartwood character. :D  I did a project in woodshop class forever ago that I used a crazy piece of cherry that was almost maple blonde throughout save for some wild flowing looking patterns of traditional cherry wood color.)

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2017, 06:02 am »
Interesting. :)

Is this a prototype or a model intended for regular production?  General dimensions? Obligatory question of price?

Any more details on the new driver?  I wonder if the bigger driver lets you run the mid and tweeter closer to wide open in regards to the crossover; 2x8 + mid x1 + tweeter x1 didn't work because the 8" driver was too efficient, but maybe the 10" gets close to the 2x8 in output with less sensitivity to better match the mid and tweeter?

The sealed crossover enclosure sounds like a great idea not just from a performance perspective but from the logistical one you brought up as far as field repair and upgrade.  :thumb:  Is this a design feature that will be reengineered into the other models?  Being able to put a "good" crossover into a speaker to hit a price point and still deliver a great product with the possibility of being able to later have a customer installable field upgrade to take things up a notch as budget allows sounds like an interesting prospect?  Regardless of all that, easily field serviceable parts without having to box and ship speakers around is always a good thing!

Interesting that the debut model with the 10" woofer shares a similar driver layout to the Pan/Muse.  Did this just happen to work out this way, or is this driver configuration developing to uncover yet untapped potential in the general design?

(and I've been digging the speakers I've seen photos of as of late with the walnut showing some aggressive lighter heartwood character. :D  I did a project in woodshop class forever ago that I used a crazy piece of cherry that was almost maple blonde throughout save for some wild flowing looking patterns of traditional cherry wood color.)
Yes this will become a new model, more info to come. sorry but it is still evolving. :wink:
You are right the 10" has bass like the dual eights but mates well with one mid and tweeter. The "Pan" layout was very researched and has a lot of potential, in certain situations it is a perfect solution.

I personally pick all the wood and some people (myself included) like that variation in color and grain. It can be really special.

I plan to bring this new model to Axpona, Dan and Alex both have new stuff as well, so I am confident in saying we will be hitting a higher mark at this show.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2017, 01:18 am »
The "Pan" layout was very researched and has a lot of potential, in certain situations it is a perfect solution.

Lou, if you don't mind a focus on this statement for a minute?  Not trying to point fingers to a definitive "better" or "worse", but rather a "right tool for the job", what situations in particular make this driver configuration stand out in comparison to that used in some of your other designs?

Thanks!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2017, 07:25 pm »
Lou, if you don't mind a focus on this statement for a minute?  Not trying to point fingers to a definitive "better" or "worse", but rather a "right tool for the job", what situations in particular make this driver configuration stand out in comparison to that used in some of your other designs?

Thanks!
Jonathon, the baffle size and layout is carefully designed so that the three drivers work as a point source much like a well designed two-way monitor. This is very effective for closer listening and difficult rooms, the nice thing is that being a three way it will also image very well in a larger room :thumb:
There are positives for our other baffle layouts and designs, so that we have different models of the same quality that can suit an individual's needs.
I hope this answers your question?
thanks,
Lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 16 Mar 2017, 03:54 am »
a few pics of the show pair.... note the slant angle bottom to top at both the front and rear.  only one right angle in the whole cabinet.

Yes, it is all solid hardwood, NO veneers.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2017, 04:05 am »
Lou,

I presume these are rear ported. Is front ported an option?

When price and specs are available, I would appreciate it if you could send me the info (including likely shipping costs to Taiwan).

Michael