Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

flat4

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1600 on: 13 Aug 2016, 05:14 pm »

I have a pair of m3's coming in next week and will I will hook up my Folsum moddded 1500 to them.

Looking forward to your impressions.

flat4

« Reply #1601 on: 13 Aug 2016, 05:16 pm »
Had some time to do some a/b with single in stereo versus two in bridged mode. Definitely better all around in bridged mode. Seems to go against things i have read about bridging amps in the past.

stonedeaf

« Reply #1602 on: 30 Sep 2016, 05:01 am »
Been runnin XLS-1502 for awhile - one question -has anyone seen a full blown FTC power rating test for any of the XLS-XXX2 amps ?

ST

« Reply #1603 on: 24 Oct 2016, 04:06 am »
I got myself Crown XLS2000 to drive the Sound Lab ESL speakers. It replaced my old 250W per channel Classe Audio. Frankly, I don't hear any difference A/B'ing but subjectively I think Crown's HF are better.

https://youtu.be/SsKN2rhQdCM

Derockster

« Reply #1604 on: 24 Oct 2016, 01:13 pm »
All,

I have just stumbled onto this thread at the same time I'm about to build two passive subs with with an outboard electronic crossover and separate amp to drive them.
My question is how high does the cross over point in the Crown amps cut off at?
I am aiming to have my subs play from 400Hz down to 35Hz.
Will the crossover in the crown be able to do this?

Regards

Derockster

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1605 on: 24 Oct 2016, 03:09 pm »
^ yes

Derockster

« Reply #1606 on: 24 Oct 2016, 03:49 pm »
Thanks Dave,

Straight to the point :lol:

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #1607 on: 24 Oct 2016, 05:31 pm »
Why such a high crossover point?

Derockster

« Reply #1608 on: 24 Oct 2016, 06:01 pm »
I have a pair of horns which carries a four inch Fostex  fullrange driver which I want to use my subs with.

Panelhead1

« Reply #1609 on: 25 Oct 2016, 01:27 am »
  Without knowing the horn design the 400 hz crossover is very high. What is the Fs of the Foster driver?

Derockster

« Reply #1610 on: 25 Oct 2016, 01:41 am »
83Hz

Panelhead

« Reply #1611 on: 26 Oct 2016, 02:53 am »
  I would cross over somewhere around 120 Hz with steep slope. I use a software crossover right now. Using 18 dB/octave filters (quasi-Butterworth) on Thiel CS-3.5 and Final sub.

Derockster

« Reply #1612 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm »
Thanks Panelhead for the advice.

Derockster

« Reply #1613 on: 8 Nov 2016, 10:32 pm »
Hi,

I just purchased a Crown XLS Drive Core 1002, some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what i want to do:
Use the crossover in the crown in both low pass for a pair of subs and in high pass for the horns.
I will be using a separate amp to play the horns.
Can this be done using one crown or will I require a second one and if it can be done can someone explain how I go about it?

Regards

derockster

stonedeaf

XLS subsonic filter ?
« Reply #1614 on: 11 Nov 2016, 06:40 am »
Getting close to getting my crossover less B&W 801 cabinets and woofers up and running . Plan to use my Crown XLS-1502 amps and their built in electronic crossovers for this project. My question is I've seen complaints/rumblings about built in subsonic filters on these amps ? Most of my music listening is done from LP's -so IMO this would be a good thing. Has any one come across either a official genuine factory spec as to frequency / slope for this filtering out sub-sonic stuff ? Or -a test report that examined this aspect of the XLS -XXX2 's performance ?
   BTW- a friend has described this project as probably having  a WAF of around .01 (I've been afraid to ask whether that's grading on a 10 point or 100 point scale ?).

jk@home

« Reply #1615 on: 22 Nov 2016, 03:57 pm »
...My question is I've seen complaints/rumblings about built in subsonic filters on these amps ? Most of my music listening is done from LP's -so IMO this would be a good thing. Has any one come across either a official genuine factory spec as to frequency / slope for this filtering out sub-sonic stuff ? Or -a test report that examined this aspect of the XLS -XXX2 's performance ?

There is an AVS thread on the matter, a fellow measured them and proved otherwise.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1444577-crown-xls-drivecore-amps-subsonic-content-v-we-have-problem-houston-5.html

I'm using my 1500s on some diy Ultimax sub kits now. If there is a subsonic filter there, it is easily overcome with a DSP unit, like the MiniDSP I'm using here.

BTW, I stated here before that even though I felt the Pomona binding posts upgraded the sound on these amps, I had a hard time keeping them tight in the chassis. So when I switched the amps over to the subs, changed the binding posts to these, which are more secure:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/4109/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNHPdpUdAofL7h58HQ4El0

FYI, another thing I noticed recently is that Yamaha has come out with a new budget class D. Looks like it has DSP galore:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/europe/en_gb/products/poweramps/px/lineup.jsp

I'm still a big fan of the Yamaha PXXXXS line (class A/B). In both my HT and 2 channel systems running full range, IMO they sound better than the Crown Ds. Looks like they may be discontinuing them. Bummer.
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2016, 02:23 am by jk@home »

dimedrol

« Reply #1616 on: 15 Feb 2017, 02:17 pm »
Dear owners of Crown XLS amps, could you check if you can hear any hiss from the unit itself? My 2002 hisses a bit. Not badly, but still in a dead silent room I can hear it from 2 meters away, so I'm wondering if it's because it doesn't like something (the current or the connected devices or something else maybe) or is it just the way it works?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1617 on: 15 Feb 2017, 04:43 pm »
Dear owners of Crown XLS amps, could you check if you can hear any hiss from the unit itself? My 2002 hisses a bit. Not badly, but still in a dead silent room I can hear it from 2 meters away, so I'm wondering if it's because it doesn't like something (the current or the connected devices or something else maybe) or is it just the way it works?

It's not a quiet amp by any means. No big deal when used for bass/subwoofer but a bit of an issue with high efficiency speakers imo. On my 90 dB speakers it's not an issue, with 100+ dB there's a bit too much noise. Excess gain in the system is more of a problem as a result as well. With average speakers and no excess gain you shouldn't hear hiss from more than a ft or so away from the speaker, more than I want to hear but not horrible. Hearing hiss from 2 meters is a big problem though!

Panelhead1

« Reply #1618 on: 15 Feb 2017, 05:07 pm »

Are you using the XLR or RCA inputs? I have a 1500 and a 2000 and they are both very quiet with a balanced input.

dimedrol

« Reply #1619 on: 15 Feb 2017, 05:37 pm »
I have to say the noise is coming from the unit itself, the speakers are quiet. And I am using balanced connection. As you put an ear close to the amp, do you hear any noise at all? Mine is like 15kHz hiss, like I hear the actual electricity flowing. And because it's kind of 15kHz high, it's not quite as noticeable as say toroid rumble.