Help me choose a streamer

kartracer

Help me choose a streamer
« on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:42 pm »
Background – My DAC is a PS Audio Perfect Wave Mark II, upgraded from an original.  I had been feeding it with a Squeezebox Duet, then got the Bridge when it was introduced.  I was in fact a Bridge beta tester, so have been suffering with no gapless playback and control point issues for years.  My music library (mostly ripped CDs along with downloads from HDTracks (96/24) are on an external hard drive attached to our main home computer – a MAC mini.  I’m using Twonky or Logitech Media Server (and recently loaded Minimserver on it) and Plug Player as a control point on an iPad.  I like to stream a lot of Internet radio stations to learn about new (to me) music.

So I need to replace the Bridge.  I thought about a Mojo MAC Mini or something similar, but am leaning strongly toward a streamer.  The Auralic Aries seemed promising, but now that it’s out the jury is mixed.  I don’t want to deal with more control point software problems.  I read the CA reviews of various products and like what I’m reading about the Sonore/SOtM products.
I plan on getting a Synology NAS to serve my music from, figuring it can run LMS, a DLNA server, JRMC(will it?)  I will be streaming over WiFi from the NAS (upstairs) to the streamer (basement) and I do have a wireless bridge at the audio rack, so the streamer will be fed from an Ethernet cable.

At a low cost point, the SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server will do what I need, but Chris’s review indicates you need a USB-xxx converter to make it sing.  The Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB is pretty pricey.  The Sonore Rendu seems like it would sound better by itself and I could live with SPDIF into my DAC.  The Sonore Sonic Orbiter seems even more attractive in that its USB output can feed my DAC directly (the PWD does have an asynchronous DAC input) and I can add a USB-xxx converter down the road if it will improve sonics.

I don’t have a particular budget in mind (well, the sMS-100 Mini Server plus a Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB is more than I want to spend right now.)  So my question is, what is the best bang for the buck, a SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server at $450 with a USB-xxx converter and possibly the battery power supply; a Sonic Orbiter at $900; a Rendu at $1400; an Aries or Aries LE at their cost; something I haven’t mentioned?
Looking forward to your suggestions and recommendations,

MikeB

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Help me choose a streamer
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:20 pm »
What kind of kart do you race?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:27 pm »
The Sonore Rendu, or the more deluxe Sonore Signature Rendu are probably going to be your best options.
The Rendu plays gapless with the right set up, and it also offers I2S output directly compatible with the PS Audio DACs.  Since you have an I2S DAC, the Rendu has a nice advantage for you, going direct I2S connection and skipping additioanl conversions with more jitter (USB/SPDIF etc).

JEaton

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:46 pm »
Do I understand  you correctly? The only reason you want to replace your current setup is because you haven't been able to get gapless playback?

Doing a google search suggests that gapless playback is possible with the Bridge, but it looks like the software used is important, with foobar2000 being capable. Since that's a Windows program, all you'd really need to do is set up an inexpensive, low power Windows server.

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/pwd-topics/giving-back-howto-gapless-audio-on-pwd-ii-with-bridge/

Some of the advice given there, including the crap about network cables is downright laugable. As always, you need to filter out the audiphool BS. He has his network server sitting on maple blocks? :icon_lol:

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:47 pm »
Just as an FYI, you may have trouble running LMS from your NAS.

I have been trying to get a pogoplug to run LMS, and its not working.  I have arch linux running in the pogo.

I did some research, and I found information that LMS doesn't work with perl versions above 5.14.

On my pogo, LMS won't read the music directory correctly.

I did see that people recompile LMS with its own perl, and get it to work that way but I haven't tried that yet.

And I think jriver has a linux version now but I've not tried it.

Randy

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2014, 09:42 pm »
I've just modded my mac mini w/ Mojo direct DC & interior filter module and am about to try different linear power supplies.  Will report back if / when I hear a difference.  For sound quality I think that may be the best budget option considering you have a Mac Mini and know how to use it.

But have also considered the Auralic Aries.  That product is just a RENDER and NOT a SERVER as far as Im aware, so you would need an NAS or PC on the back end.  AND you'd really need to get the upgraded version to top the mac mini mojo w/ LPS - so your talking about the same money in the end.  I.e. $1600 for Aries (+ $220 - $550 for a NAS) vs about $1400 for Mojo done mod + their LPS. 

Afraid from there the good options such as the Sony,  Bryston BDP-2, Aurender servers, etc start at $2K-3K+. 

If you want something with some processing guts to do DSD, I'd get one of the above & avoid the pea power micro boxes.

Another interesting budget alternative is the Salk Streamer Gen II or Server.  That's probably in the $1K - to $1400 range......see the following and contact Salk direct for more info.  This is something I think he does more on request - but it's a good product and he sells direct, so offers good pricing :

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124179.0

Or you could wait for ever for the Light Harmonic Geek Server..........

kartracer

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2014, 02:53 am »
What kind of kart do you race?

Little off topic?!?   :icon_lol:

Actually I'm a retired kart racer, but for 6 years or so I raced lay down enduros at Summit Point and occasionally Virginia International Raceway.  !00cc 2-stroke Yamaha powered.  With the right pipe and gearing, good for 95+mph on a straight.  It was fun.  :thumb:

kartracer

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2014, 02:55 am »
Do I understand  you correctly? The only reason you want to replace your current setup is because you haven't been able to get gapless playback?

No.  The darn thing is not even recognized by the PWD most of the time.   :evil:  I've done the recovery process several times.  I'm just tired of having to troubleshoot the Bridge.  I just want to listen to some music! :?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2014, 02:57 am »
Little off topic?!?   :icon_lol:

Actually I'm a retired kart racer, but for 6 years or so I raced lay down enduros at Summit Point and occasionally Virginia International Raceway.  !00cc 2-stroke Yamaha powered.  With the right pipe and gearing, good for 95+mph on a straight.  It was fun.  :thumb:
Cool.  I did KT100's in between pro racing.  Good stuff!  We have a new kart track here in NC that is bad to the bone. 

BobC

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:56 pm »
Have you considered the Bluesound Node?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122036.20

kartracer

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2015, 01:27 am »
To follow up, I bought a Sonic orbiter last year which satisfied all my requirements.  Then I couple months ago got in on a group buy for the Aries and am using that instead.  Anyone want an Orbiter cheap?!?

Mike

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2015, 07:36 pm »
DLNA and other streaming protocols are very complex.
To make things worth, it take 3 to tango, you need a server, a renderer and a control point.
AL 3 must implement everything right.
Implementing computer protocols is in general not the stronghold of audio companies.

If you go for Mini or a low powered laptop, things becomes much simpler.
The Mini pulls its data from a server using a file protocol. This is rock solid compared with streaming.
You can choose any media player supported by the OS, far more flexible and often a better end user experience.
I do think direct playback using a computer is less complex and far more flexible than streaming