Vintage Integrated

BobM

Vintage Integrated
« on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:39 pm »
My daughter Kelly tried to hook up my vintage NAD 3155 integrated to some speakers, but she crossed the speaker wires. I replaced the blown fuse and now only the right channel is working. I don't think the cost of getting it fixed would be worthwhile.

Soooooo. What should I look for boys? I need it to be able to switch between indoor and outdoor speakers, so this limits things (unless I get some kind of external switch box). Cost is definitely an issue - I want to keep this fairly cheap. Tubes would be nice.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Vintage Integrated
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:37 am »
Without knowing your budget & power needs, would still say maybe another NAD............? I had a 314 I got for $35 & regret giving it away.  Sweet and punchy at the same time even if only about 20WPC.

Pioneers & Sansui's have gotten pricey of late, but if you stick to the bottom end of the line they are C&C.  Have a Sansui 2020 I picked up for about $35-50.  A Pioneer SA 5800 or 6800 would be nicer.  If you're patient on EBay and use a sniping program you can get one at market correct price, especially if you don't need / want perfect cosmetics.

I suppose there are some vintage Kenwoods out there that are worth consideration, but don't know much about those.

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2014, 11:22 am »
Search Craigs list and search ebay and sort by distance first.  See what pops up.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2014, 11:45 am »
Worth trying a self repair? With a couple of postings on the right forum, once you find them, you'll likely get an answer as to what's blown.

The transistors are lined up nicely for self replacement once you get to them. But I don't know how easy that will be. Check out the images of the inside listed here. It will be a same to toss this baby.

http://www.hifi-pictures.net/amplifiers-home/Nad%203155/Nad%203155.htm

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2014, 11:46 am »
There are sometimes, fuses on the inside on the circuit boards for the audio outputs. Sounds like you blew the mains fuse (120 volt), but the dead channel may have a fuse blown as well. In other words, take the cover off and start looking for some internal fuses.......

I'd also check that you didn't accidentally put it into "bridged" mode....

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2014, 01:39 pm »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:12 pm »
Or if you want to be REALLY C&C, learn too love mono!  :lol:

My 314 had one channel that was very occasionally out - part of the reason it was $35.  After a bit of warm up and a few firm pats it would come back on line. After that would just leave it on as long as practical.

Unless your technically inclined and enjoy tinkering, sometimes its best to either cope or move on. It's a bargain basement NAD after all, not some trophy Macintosh.  This is about cheap and cheerful, not cheap and tearful.

Let your daughter pick up the tab on the next one. That should be a cheap and cheerful life lesson. You break dad's things, you pay for it.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2014, 12:25 am »
I've had luck just running down to the local thrift shop and finding Denon/Sony, etc. receivers for 20-40 bucks. They usually test them and if doesn't work, they'll let you return it.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2014, 12:32 am »
BTW - if your looking for something C&C with tubes, I have over time bought Fatman Itube / Dared MP5 hybrid integrated tube amps for $100 - $150 off eBay. Only about 20wpc and single speaker connectors, but not a whole out there much cheaper with tubes. The mp5 even has a budget built in USB dac.